Bring4th

Full Version: The Positive News Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Just Before Leaving White House, Obama Made a Final Climate Hail Mary

Quote:By sending $500 million to the Green Climate Fund, Obama helped to ensure international climate progress during Trump's denialist reign.
Obama Grants 330 Commutations as Final Act as President

Quote:President Obama granted another 330 commutations Thursday as his final major act as president. The majority of the sentences commuted Thursday were for nonviolent drug offenses. Throughout his presidency, Obama has granted 1,715 commutations—more than any other president in U.S. history.
I'd prefer something more pro positive change than against Trump, but then, it's just a couple of first ideas, and maybe necessary self-defense (and defense of others).

After the March: How to Take Action in Trump's First 100 Days

Want to Stop Trump? Take a Page From These Dockworkers, and Stop Work
Scientists embark on their own Trump resistance

Quote:“Alternative facts” don’t really work for scientists.
Trump brings out the best in so many people... Heart

'We Do Not Stand Down': Sanctuary Cities Vow to Fight Trump's Order

NYC: Thousands Protest Trump Plan to Impose Ban on Refugees, Block Visas from 7 Muslim Nations

He seems to strangely match the character of Mephistopheles in Goethe's Faust (though he probably doesn't really will evil...):

Mephistopheles Wrote:I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.

(German original: "Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft.”)

-`ღ´-
Hydrogen turned into metal in stunning act of alchemy that could revolutionise technology and spaceflight

Alan Watts on life priorities and living in the moment in a Volvo commercial:
Trying to Save the World Should Be Fun

Sanctuary Campaign Is Rising to Defy Trump's Nightmare White Supremacist, Xenophobic Agenda

Quote:Movements are demanding material safety and well-being for all people under attack.
Speech from the Philadelphia Women’s March on January 21, 2017

Angela Sutton Wrote:I am a black woman, a mother of two beautiful black boys, and I live in Northeast Philadelphia.

I have lived in poverty, in Philadelphia, my whole life.

Philadelphia has the highest poverty rate of any large American city. The face of that poverty is most likely a black mother, like me.

For me, being a woman has always meant being strong and never showing weakness.
I have always had to be superwoman, and the women around me have had to be the same.
As a single mother of two boys, I have to play both roles and every day, I do what I have to in order to take care of my boys the best way I know how.

I, too, am a woman.

I am the woman you don’t see when you walk down the street sipping your Starbucks coffee.
I am the woman you don’t see standing in line at the local food pantry.
I am the woman who remains invisible in spaces and at events like the Women’s March.

But I am here.

You must see me.
You must acknowledge me.
You must include me.

Because I am the woman who fights every day.
I am the woman who understands inequality.
I am the woman who advocates for the rights of women and children living in poverty.
I am the woman who wants a better life.

The new administration scares me, but I know I have to continue to fight.
Not just for me, but for the others who come after me.
For our children.
For our future.

We can’t accept what we are given.
We must continue the fight—and that means all of us.
Let’s hold each other accountable and unite.

Sonia Sanchez said, “in order to be a true revolutionary, you must understand love.”
I do what I do out of love.
We will win because of love.

But first you need to see me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43