Bring4th

Full Version: difference between the will and the personality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if anyone could help explain this short passage here:

Quote:52.7 nstead, we appreciate and recommend the use of your second verb in regard to the use of the will. Acceptance of self, forgiveness of self, and the direction of the will; this is the path towards the disciplined personality. Your faculty of will is that which is powerful within you as co-Creator. You cannot ascribe to this faculty too much importance. Thus it must be carefully used and directed in service to others for those upon the positively oriented path.

There is great danger in the use of the will as the personality becomes stronger, for it may be used even subconsciously in ways reducing the polarity of the entity

the Will I can understand as a way of directing 'mental force', but I would have thought that the Personality becomes more balanced as one progresses, and actually diminishes as a factor.

We had a thread dedicated to this very topic here:

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthrea...&pid=27083
ok, thanks Gemini Smile

just had a read, and some good stuff there.

- -

I guess my ponderings were more about the 'personality' itself and what exactly it is. And then I thought of movies and real-life, and people that I consider to have Strong Personalities; and they are usually paired with strong, effective Wills. Think of Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, or Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

and then there was a passage in the LOO somewhere where it talks about the 'raising up of the personality' and the possible dangers there, but Ra would not elaborate further on the issue.

and then there is the issue of the 'magikal personality' etc etc. I guess my thoughts are still in the process of formation around this topic.

Unbound

We seek within.
(06-29-2012, 04:28 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if anyone could help explain this short passage here:

Quote:52.7 nstead, we appreciate and recommend the use of your second verb in regard to the use of the will. Acceptance of self, forgiveness of self, and the direction of the will; this is the path towards the disciplined personality. Your faculty of will is that which is powerful within you as co-Creator. You cannot ascribe to this faculty too much importance. Thus it must be carefully used and directed in service to others for those upon the positively oriented path.

There is great danger in the use of the will as the personality becomes stronger, for it may be used even subconsciously in ways reducing the polarity of the entity

the Will I can understand as a way of directing 'mental force', but I would have thought that the Personality becomes more balanced as one progresses, and actually diminishes as a factor.

I think that, essentially, what Ra is saying here is that as one becomes more polarized, you become more consciously aware of one's unity with the creator/creative forces, which are one and the same. For those on the path of polarization -- be it negative or positive -- this translates into more magickal power (which is the power of the will). Basically, one's personality becomes more and more the creator. This is what Ra means by a "stronger personality". The more distortions you release in your consciousness, the more power you have access to. Your will becomes charged and empowered.

Your dislike of another can actually have real negative effects upon them. This would damage one's polarity if one is on the positive path. I believe this is what Ra means by "using one's will subconsciously".

As another example from yet another frame of reference: someone on the negative path might, in spite of themselves, find some compassionate thoughts creeping in about another soul, causing a loss of polarity as their will is turned slightly toward positive service to other ends.

Anyhow, I hope that clears it up a bit.

(06-30-2012, 03:25 AM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]The Personality is the manner in which the Will dances. As a Personality becomes more prominent, it is a more concentrated movement of Will as it becomes crystallized and thus causes a greater amount of influence throughout the entire personality structure to be at play as a result of the movements of the Will, which is the substance of the Personality. We would refer to the Will as the Sense, which is that connecting facet of consciousness through which currents or charges of information/energy/light are exchanged between zero-point reciprocals.

Or in layman's terms, be careful the power doesn't get to your head when it comes and it's coming alright, can feel it in me bones I can.

Unbound

Indeed!
Also, anagogy has made some very excellent points.
(06-29-2012, 04:28 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if anyone could help explain this short passage here:

Plenum, my basic response would have been what I had previously wrote in Gemini's thread on this subject, so I'll paste below.

Before doing so, however, I would offer in regard to your question about personality this thought. I tend to consider the "personality", or as the Confederation calls it, "personality shell", to be the outer-most, transitory, least substantive portion of the soul's identity. It is predicated upon and made possible by the illusion of separation. The "personality" is that which Ra says is lost upon death as it is a surface illusion of the mind.

I also tend to see the lower triad of energy centers - red, orange, yellow - as constituting or containing the personality: the complex of conditioned patterns of the past that, taken together, create the false notion of a separate, individual self.

The goal of course is not to negate, deny, suppress, or reject these energies of personality, but rather through conscious awareness and loving acceptance, render them transparent, allowing that which is no longer needed to fall away. Thus do these energies of personality no longer hinder or obscure or otherwise block the energy moving upward through the chakra system.

But there is danger, as Ra says, as the will grows stronger that unconscious, unrecognized, and/or unaccepted aspects of the personality will hijack the will, so to speak. And this is where I would insert first a section from a book by Ken McLeod titled, "Wake To Your Life: Discovering the Path of Buddhist Attention", and then my interpretation of that selection.

Quote:Page 88, Ken McLeod:

Finally, there is one pitfall in meditation practice that you must avoid. Meditation practice raises the level of energy in your system in the form of active attention. The higher level of energy inevitably brings you into contact with reactive emotional patterns. If you now become selective and repress emotions, pushing them out of attention, two things happen.

The higher level of energy in your system flows into the reactive pattern, making that stronger. Both the reactive patterns of the emotion and the repression are reinforced. You end up splitting in two. One part of you is capable of attention and response. The other part becomes increasingly rigid and inflexible. It takes over unpredictably whenever the repressed emotion is triggered by events or situation. Typically, a person becomes more arrogant, self-indulgent, obsessed with power, money, sex, security, or other fixations, and acts in ways to control or amass the object of obsession.

Long-term practitioners and teachers who protect areas of their lives from their practice frequently run into this problem with unfortunate and sometimes tragic results. We run the risk of a similar fate if we protect any area of our personality or lives from the increased awareness that develops in meditation.

To guard against this problem, always have at least one person, a teacher, colleague, or friend, with whom you discuss all aspects of your practice and your life. The person needs to be someone you trust and to whom you will listen regardless of the state of mind you are in or what he or she says. The only way to be sure that you will not protect an area of your habituated personality from the effects of practice is to have such a person in your life.

My basic interpretation of this follows.

Our will is a tool, a "faculty", and it can be employed by any desire within us, from red ray on up.

Say for instance you have a desire for fame, for being defensive, for dominating another, for being dominated by another, for money, for pleasure, for glory, for aversion from that which is uncomfortable, etc.

These unrecognized, unintegrated, unconscious desires literally *live* within you. They continue to desire & continue to operate. They are in motion. They are self-sustaining. And As more energy becomes available for the separate system that is your personality shell, these desires (outside of your conscious purview) may co-opt your consciousness, so to speak, by grabbing hold of the power of the will in order to achieve the object of their desires.

In the process of co-opting your will and using it towards the end of the particular desire or complex of desires, *you* will be carried away on a mission to achieve the desired end. Likely that desired end will not be about serving others with love and transparency but will rather serve to depolarize you by moving your overall vibration in un-polarized or negatively polarized directions.

Thusly it is well, as Ken McLeod says in the quoted section above, to open up every aspect of your life to the light of your consciousness and presence. These desires operate outside of your awareness and can be successful in hijacking your faculty of will only in your absence.

With love and light,
Gary