Bring4th

Full Version: Synchronicity....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was a strange one….all of yesterday I’ve been having the mumbled words of a Steely Dan song running over and over through my mind. That song is “Deacon Blues”.

This morning, I got in the car and headed to work. About 20 minutes into the drive, I switched on the radio. My favorite acoustic channel was playing junk, so I switched it to another channel and found myself right in the middle of “Deacon Blues”. At the time…I aknowledged ..”Ok, synchronicity got me again, lol.

It gets stranger though, cause even though I’ve been listening to that song for decades…its one of those songs that you really can’t make out the lyrics and you just hum along with until you get to the chorus before you start belting that out.

I was sitting here this morning wondering about that synchronicity again and what..if anything…it meant and decided to look up the lyrics to “Deacon Blues”. Here is what I found;

This is the day
Of the expanding man
That shape is my shade
There where I used to stand
It seems like only yesterday
I gazed through the glass
At ramblers
Wild gamblers
That's all in the past

You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line

CHORUS:
I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

My back to the wall
A victim of laughing chance
This is for me
The essence of true romance
Sharing the things we know and love
With those of my kind
Libations
Sensations
That stagger the mind

I crawl like a viper
Through these suburban streets
Make love to these women
Languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home

CHORUS

This is the night
Of the expanding man
I take one last drag
As I approach the stand
I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be

CHORUS

Pretty powerful lyrics there…I never knew until now what was actually said. As usual I still don’t know what it means. But the whole episode was almost like something was trying real hard to get my attention for the last 2 days.

They got it….now what, I wonder?

Richard 
The music I grew up listening to is heavily laced with these types messages. When you realize there was an overarching message in something like that right under your nose for the first time, it is quite a catalytic experience. For me, it was great to make meaning out of the seeming chaous of my younger years of this incarnation.