Bring4th

Full Version: Looking for Editors!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Brittany

I was considering making a post like this for a while, and the psychic reading I got today (by a most talented Leigh Anne Loggins) jogged my memory to post it.

Most of you know I've been working on my book...my magnum opus for...oh, going on ten years now. I realize that I am a talented and capable writer, but I have motivation issues, and often my ideas become scattered and I end up just floating away from the plot line or getting distracted...hence me never making it past chapter 5 or so. 10 years and I'm still pretty much sitting at square one. I would REALLY like to finish this book before I step into the grave. Since I was a child it has been my dream to publish a book. You might say it is my "personal legend" Smile.

Ms. Loggins said that it would be good for me to find someone who could help me with editing and in holding me accountable for actually getting the writing done (instead of losing interest after five minutes or so and deciding to play video games). She suggested I try to enlist the help of some student editors from my local college, but I thought I would see if anyone was interested on here first.

To be specific, I'm totally fine with people reading my draft work for the sheer enjoyment of it and saying "I liked it," but what I'm looking for here is someone who has a pretty thorough understanding of what goes into the writing/publishing process who can offer in depth constructive criticism, and perhaps help me in organizing concepts and setting goals, etc.

I will also say that I do not write children's books. Writing is a form of therapy for me, among other things, so some of my topics can get pretty dark. I would give my writing an "R" rating if it were a movie...nothing too outlandishly offensive, but swearing, sexual content and "heavy" topics abound.

I would be willing to pay someone to help me with this, though I'll admit I'm pretty broke right now and can't offer much. No demands here, just testing my waters and seeing how far I'll have to throw the net out to bring something in. I could also do artwork or readings for capable volunteers, or some other reasonable form of exchange.

At this point the draft is too messy for me to want to show any of it to anyone, but I'm hoping to have something cohesive together by the end of the week. Please let me know if you're interested!

Cheers!

Meerie

I would help you, but I have never done this before...
plus I am not even a native speaker.
Tongue
Anyways, tell me if I can be of assistance in any way.
I remember, The Eternal posted stuff about a publishing house? that is open to publishing unknown authors, some time ago.
Maybe you can ask him.
ahktu, I am interested. I am INTERESTED. Hope that shows some intent from my side.

I work as a Research Analyst in the business field, which means I am pretty detail oriented. I can be of definite help, if you would like to believe in me as well.

Meerie

Hear hear... business field.
Methinks you got a manager, dear ahktu!
TongueBigSmile
(07-23-2012, 07:21 AM)Meerie Wrote: [ -> ]Hear hear... business field.
Methinks you got a manager, dear ahktu!
TongueBigSmile

Yeah, I hope to become a billionaire through ahktu's work and stand at the top of a giant American corporate skyscraper, looking out of the window with a grin of satisfaction for having arrived. :p

How can I sign up, ahktu? Blush I am purely STO, of course Angel BigSmile

Meerie

Dont forget to make akhtu sign a watertight contract, that stipulates you are going to get 60% of the books income, Confused!
your hard work should not go unrewarded
Cool
(07-23-2012, 07:41 AM)Meerie Wrote: [ -> ]Dont forget to make akhtu sign a watertight contract, that stipulates you are going to get 60% of the books income, Confused!
your hard work should not go unrewarded
Cool

Why only as little as 60%? :@

Don't inject ahktu with ideas that may turn unfavorable for me, Meerie! :@ Tongue
I have no professional qualifications in this field, but if "reading your stuff and giving you feedback as you go" counts as someone helping, please, count me in. I read very fast and I am known to point out odd things even if they sting a little when I do so Tongue
(07-23-2012, 08:18 AM)Oldern Wrote: [ -> ]I have no professional qualifications in this field, but if "reading your stuff and giving you feedback as you go" counts as someone helping, please, count me in. I read very fast and I am known to point out odd things even if they sting a little when I do so Tongue

Oh no! More competition to my dreams of billions! :-/

Just kidding, Oldern Smile

Shin'Ar

Ahktu,

I am confused as to whether you are looking for an editor, or suggestions as to how to put all of your writing together in a finished version.

Usually editing is either done on the final work, or it is done chapter to chapter. it sounds as though you only have less than half of the book written at this point. And it sounds as though the help you need is not so much editing, but in getting the writing into a book form and somehow finding more to put into it to create the entire work.

I would advise you to first of all take what you have to this point and work it into a beginning which flows into a goal ending. What did you want to accomplish? A message? Life story? fantastic parable? etc.

Once you have the actual book report summary down pat, then you can continue to add from there, and when you have finally realized that goal and an end to the work, then you can have it edited.

Also crucial is this warning: beware those who offer to do business with you. Not all are legitimate.

One in pareticular is in ongoing legal battles and is prominent in offering s its services on the web. They use many names which change often, but their main identity now is Strategic Book Publishers and Rights Agency.

And I would warn that there are many like these preying on rookies out there for their hard earned money.

Hey Ahktu,

I'd help out, as it happens I'm also busy writing a fictional book, fantasy romance (I didn't seek too big a challenge for myself Wink ). It's not so much a lifelong goal but a thing on the "Things I want to do before I die" list.

So it'll both be helping you out and be good practice for me at the same time!

Brittany

Confused, you know I will be the one to rule the world. Maybe you can be my lackey. If you behave yourself. Plus you haven't even read the chapter I already sent you! >:-[

Shin'ar, I'm well aware of how many screw jobs there are out there, and don't intend on throwing my money away to any of them.

I suppose what I would really like at this point is someone who could read the first few chapters and give me an analysis on the style and flow of the story. Does it hook the audience? Are the characters believable and easily empathized with? Is the writing style pleasant to read? Often I won't read a book if the first chapter isn't satisfying. Also, it would help to have an extra set of eyes to pick out any grammatical errors, typos, awkward wording, etc.

Beyond that I'm sort of just looking for a buddy to help motivate me to keep writing. To keep in constant touch with me and help me keep a steady flow of material, because my own short attention span is my greatest hindrance here.

If the person found it enjoyable, I would also like to get feedback on each chapter as I write. I have this tendency to create gaping plot holes and not notice it until 30 pages later, then I have to go back and re-write the entire thing. Confused and Oldern, I will be in touch with you soon, and thank you.
Thanks Ali. I'll get in touch with you soon, too. Smile
(07-23-2012, 11:33 AM)ahktu Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose what I would really like at this point is someone who could read the first few chapters and give me an analysis on the style and flow of the story. Does it hook the audience? Are the characters believable and easily empathized with? Is the writing style pleasant to read? Often I won't read a book if the first chapter isn't satisfying. Also, it would help to have an extra set of eyes to pick out any grammatical errors, typos, awkward wording, etc.

I would be willing to read the first 50 pages (typical amount) and give you feedback. I have judged many literary contests.

I would require a mailed hard copy double-spaced with at least 1" margins, pages numbered, no staples. I would mail the ms. back red-lined with a critique.

Beyond that, as a writer, I can tell you it has been my experience that motivation must come from you alone. Smile (If you HAVE to write--that is a clue.) Although, local authors associations, which you could join as an unpublished author, usually have the buddy/motivation sort of atmosphere in writing workshops. And by joining an authors association, you also make a commitment to the art and manifest this path further.

Brittany

Just talking about it with others is already helping. Thanks everyone. I know that only I can make myself do this, but having support produces its own sort of motivation.

Diana, would you charge for that service? If so, how much?
I actually learned a lot by just reading about the process. When you read the finished products, it just seems like someone magically created it out of thin air. For most writers that's not the case, there's a lot of technicalities that happen before authors actually start writing. There's rules and theory. For me that was the biggest eye opener and it changed my attitude from "I'd like to be able to do this" to "I can do this"...
I believe in the French Tradition where editors were just 'publishers', and the 'authors' were the creators and had supreme right of way.

but I guess I've never really been of the collaborative sort of mindset BigSmile
(07-23-2012, 03:07 PM)ahktu Wrote: [ -> ]Diana, would you charge for that service? If so, how much?

No. I would do it as a favor for a fellow member here, if you are a serious writer. You can PM me about it, and send me a packet with a SASE in it for the return critiqued ms.. Smile