Bring4th

Full Version: do you like the sound of your own voice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
do you remember the first time someone recorded your voice, and played it back to you?

sounded weird, right?

I must have been 12 or 13 when this first happened (recording technologies were not as widely available in the 1980's, when I was growing up), and wow, did it come as a shock! The skull acts as a resonance chamber for your own voice, so when you hear yourself speak it sounds uniqely different to you, than it does for ANYONE else hearing it.

I am blessed/cursed with asian genetics, so I am guessing I sound like a soprano at times lol. It is probably the next step in the full acceptance of myself; to love and value the sound of my own voice.

I too like my voice better heard from inside than heard from outside.
my voice sounds deeper inside my head and i feel like i come off mature. then i listen to it and... lol not as deep and mature sounding as i thought it was. haha :-)
I am always surprised when I hear my own voice played back in a recording, no matter how many times I have heard it. What's really weird is that I have a cousin who sounds just like me...if you heard recordings of both of us speaking, you wouldn't be able to tell us apart. I am always shocked at how much I sound like him.
I haven't quite fully accepted me own voice, for in my little corner of the planet we tend to have southern accents... and in my head I sound void of any accent, but alas when I hear the recording played back...

I can't wait till our planet relearns telepathy.
I've been told my voice is very soothing but I've always found it nasal when played back for me

Unbound

I did not used to, but now I am growing to appreciate it for its individuality and diversity. I have a rather jumpy voice, I speak in multiple octaves aha

Brittany

I never realized what a pronounced southern accent I have until I heard a recording of my voice. Then it was like "Oh mah gawwwwwwwddddd...I don't sound like dat!"

My voice is unusually deep for a woman...I sound rather masculine both on tape and in my head. I think it suits me, though. I can't imagine having a high, squeaky voice.

I have also heard recordings of myself channeling and the change in voice is very apparent. It shocks everyone who hears it, as my accent is completely replaced and the the tone is entirely different.
(08-12-2012, 03:36 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]I've been told my voice is very soothing but I've always found it nasal when played back for me

Same here. My voice works just like a date rape drug. It actually caused issues in my younger years as it would put my mate to sleep before i could get any.

I have learned not to talk as much, and it comes out in text instead.Tongue
Having served eight years, I learned to use my voice effectively in both drill and classroom instruction. It sounds the same to me as it does on recording.

It changes dependent upon state of throat and sinus'. That means I go from sounding like Clint Eastwood to lepraechaun to Arnold Schwarzenegger. I pick up accents within a week despite trying not to. I can imitate most sounds. People often say that my voice is very soothing, and I was told at work lately I calm people when I talk to them (a drop-in centre for those experiencing homelessness). I take that to mean I may sound like a minister giving a sermon successfully putting people to sleep, without the sermon... but who knows, maybe I also sound like Frasier (Kelsey Grammer) every now and then too Wink

I love my voice, not the deepest or most unique but It's pleasant . I love my Aussie accent as well.
Yes, I like my voice most of the time. It isn't as nice now as it once was due to asthma/allergies, but still it's actually quite nice most of the time.

I also like other people's voices - all of them. So interesting the different sounds that come out of people's heads!
Indeed Ruth, peoples voice adds another dimension to how you perceive them hehe.
haha, my family will go to sleep if i talk long enough. :-)
(08-12-2012, 12:13 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]I am always surprised when I hear my own voice played back in a recording, no matter how many times I have heard it.

Me too! I sound completely different. But if I really try to listen to myself as I'm talking, instead of thinking about what I'm saying, I can almost sorta kinda hear it the same way it sounds recorded.

(Those of you who have heard the radio show have an advantage over me! Because you know what I sound like but I don't know what you sound like.)

(08-12-2012, 11:49 PM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]...
(Those of you who have heard the radio show have an advantage over me! Because you know what I sound like but I don't know what you sound like.)

Will have to remedy that. French accent and all. Smile
Let me tell you there is nothing worse than having an aussie accent and listening to yourself when you were young and had a South African accent!!! Oh the horror....gutteral, clipped, brutal to the eardrums.

Meerie

(08-12-2012, 11:00 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]do you remember the first time someone recorded your voice, and played it back to you?

sounded weird, right?

it's horrible. Same as looking at some not so fortunate photos of myself
Tongue
in the case of photos, these are usually from an angle that we never view ourselves in, since the only possibility to look at yourself is thru a mirror, and thusly side-reversed.
The only time I really liked my voice on tape, was when I listened to the recording of my past-life regression. I sounded so relaxed and calm then.
Well, it was relaxing and calming Smile
btw Patrick, french accents are hawwt! BigSmile
tell me when you call in on the radio show, I don't wanna miss that