Bring4th

Full Version: Cholesterol treatment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there, as some of you may know a family member of mine is quite ill. I'm helping him where I can however the catalyst just keeps coming up. So treatment he had last week resulted in anaphylactic shock and a heart attack on top of the original illness. Now the poor lamb has been told he has high cholesterol and is taking medication for that. I'm getting him a bottle of organic hempseed oil and I've heard of other treatments including psyllium husks etc however he has a compromised digestive system so cannot eat alot of things. Does anyone have any experience with treating high cholesterol naturally that was efficacious and that they would like to share?

Oh not sure if it's important, but I was reading Pickles thread on hempseed and someone mentioned Warfarin not to be combined with hempseed oil (it was by Oldern I think). Well apart from the cocktail of meds he's on he takes Clexane which is also a blood thinner. Blah this is all getting too complicated for me. Why can't you mix hempseed with blood thinning meds?....confusion reigns....

Meerie

Which cholesterol levels are high?
if it is the HDL he may not need any treatment at all, but I heard some doctors still don't know the difference ...
http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-managem...holesterol
Imo cholesterol was "invented" to give big pharma one more reason to sell medication... but that is just me.
There is even a book out, "the cholesterol lie":
http://www.thepetwhisperer.com/the-great...t-lundell/
(09-05-2012, 02:52 AM)Meerie Wrote: [ -> ]Which cholesterol levels are high?
if it is the HDL he may not need any treatment at all, but I heard some doctors still don't know the difference ...
http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-managem...holesterol
Imo cholesterol was "invented" to give big pharma one more reason to sell medication... but that is just me.
There is even a book out, "the cholesterol lie":
http://www.thepetwhisperer.com/the-great...t-lundell/

Thanks Meerie, I was reading up on the issue today and gave up because there's so much disinformation and guess work. I'll check out your links. When I get home tonight I'm going to ask the pendulum her thoughts on the subject.

Meerie

Tenet Nosce has a medical background, he is a doctor, maybe you could pm him and ask what he thinks
Smile
I just realize, it might be dangerous to give any information or links at all, since I did not study medicine. I am just very suspicious of mainstream medicine and the drugs they sell.....
often the "cure" harms the body worse than the disease. You wrote about his anaphylactic shock he had after the medical treatment.
Statin drugs scare me. The brain is basically a cholesterol computer...
is he constipated ? might sound like a funny question but constipation will lead to higher cholesterol levels. aloe vera juice is helpful for digestive problems maybe start with that . then also he could take pro biotics to normalize the bacteria in the digestive track along with prune juice to help the digestive system to move. i would start there with the digestive track.
(09-05-2012, 03:37 AM)Goldenratio Wrote: [ -> ]Statin drugs scare me. The brain is basically a cholesterol computer...

can you elaborate please?
(09-05-2012, 07:35 PM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2012, 03:37 AM)Goldenratio Wrote: [ -> ]Statin drugs scare me. The brain is basically a cholesterol computer...

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html#fatsbuild
(09-05-2012, 05:04 PM)norral Wrote: [ -> ]is he constipated ? might sound like a funny question but constipation will lead to higher cholesterol levels. aloe vera juice is helpful for digestive problems maybe start with that . then also he could take pro biotics to normalize the bacteria in the digestive track along with prune juice to help the digestive system to move. i would start there with the digestive track.

thanks Norral...he's had lots of bits cut out of his body at this stage so the issue is keeping foods in rather than difficulty getting it out! I've given him some clay for intestinal detoxification. I've also got him on raw organic cacau beans and organic beeswax and honey, and he's getting some hempseed oil today. Good oils and pollens. I shall monitor and see what happens.
(09-05-2012, 07:38 PM)Patrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2012, 07:35 PM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html#fatsbuild

reminds me of the movie Lorenzo's Oil...
(09-05-2012, 03:31 AM)Pickle Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.naturalnews.com/024617_chlore...blood.html

Thanks! I knew there was something I forgot!

I'm formulating an umbrella treatment for all his ails and I forgot about greens. There is a mixture here that has barley grass, chlorella and spirulina. I don't mind barley grass but spirulina by itself is gag-worthy.

I shall get him some greens today along with some Himilayan salt.

(Thanks, Meerie, for the digital referral!) Smile

jacrob- The first thing I would recommend for your family member is to get a real sense for how much the elevated cholesterol is contributing to their risk of cardiovascular disease. This can be done with the Framingham Risk Calculator. Not infrequently, I see people whose MD is crawling up their butts to take a statin when their actual risk is about 1-2%. People usually need to see these things in black and white. Otherwise, they will generally assume that their MD is more credible and has good reason for pushing the statin on them.

That being said, the fact that your family member just had a heart attack automatically puts them in a high risk category- even if it was precipitated by an adverse reaction to a drug. That means the chances of an MD going along with a "wait-and-see-while-I-try-some-lifestyle-changes" approach is pretty much nil.

There are a bunch of things one can take to help lower cholesterol levels, like foresterol or red yeast rice or chlorella. Those are just a few. But I will second norral's approach and say start with the gut. Two reasons. Firstly, if the digestive system is not properly absorbing nutrients then the effectiveness of ANY kind of supplement intended for the blood will be greatly reduced. Secondly, because the body's natural way of eliminating excess cholesterol is through bile dumped into the gut.

Of course, without knowing all the details of your family member's case and having a full health history, it is practically impossible to make a specific recommendation with any reliability. But in my experience, starting with the gut is generally a good bet, all things considered.

EFA's are contradicted when taking blood thinners. But then again so is pretty much anything else. Unfortunately, there is a legitimate reason for this so I would probably stay away from those for now.

Also- unless your family member has specifically asked you for help chances are your well-intentions will result in a great deal of frustration and end up straining the relationship at a time when he needs your emotional support the most. If he is open to alternative therapies, you may wish to suggest consulting with a health professional trained in these things. Doctors generally don't treat their own family members, and again there is good reason for this.
Thank you for your advice. Very interesting reading.

Yes he's very open to my helping him and I think he appreciates what I'm trying to do. We're not a very demonstrative family so he sees this as loving attention. He even said he was very thankful for the distance healing I was doing...that's saying alot for an athiest!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
(09-05-2012, 09:35 PM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your advice. Very interesting reading.

You're welcome. Smile

Here are also a couple of articles from my website that you may find useful:

Do I Really Need A Cholesterol Drug?
Ask Your Doctor: Cholesterol and Cardiovascular Disease

Quote:Yes he's very open to my helping him and I think he appreciates what I'm trying to do. We're not a very demonstrative family so he sees this as loving attention. He even said he was very thankful for the distance healing I was doing...that's saying alot for an athiest!

That's great to hear!

The brain is predominantly made up of cholesterol.
Statins drugs attack cholesterol formations.
As I understand it, some research has been done into it, but I haven't personally read the papers, so I don't want to post recalled hearsay.
(09-07-2012, 10:53 AM)Goldenratio Wrote: [ -> ]The brain is predominantly made up of cholesterol.
Statins drugs attack cholesterol formations.
As I understand it, some research has been done into it, but I haven't personally read the papers, so I don't want to post recalled hearsay.

Cholesterol, along with essential fatty acids such as DHA, are involved in the manufacture of the myelin sheath, which is essentially the insulation around our nerves. Without that, we cannot properly propagate electrical signals down them.

Cholesterol is also found in all cell membranes where it acts as a kind of lubricant, allowing for protein channels to slide past one another.

Statin drugs inhibit the internal production of cholesterol by blocking an enzyme called HMG-CoA reductase, which controls the rate-limiting step of cholesterol manufacture. Incidentally, this enzyme is also critical in the production of CoQ10- which is essential for energy transfer in the mitochondria. This is the reason for many of the side effects.
Prevents mitochondrial energy transfer?
And people take this stuff?
(09-07-2012, 11:16 AM)Goldenratio Wrote: [ -> ]Prevents mitochondrial energy transfer?
And people take this stuff?

Sure, they do what the doc tells them to and most docs finds that prescribing these can be indirectly very lucrative to them. Of course, the docs who bothers to check the research will find plenty of papers in support of it.

~ What's great about science nowadays is that you can actually chose the results that supports your beliefs ~ RollEyes There isn't a lot of real science done anymore.
Real science is done in spades. Alas its about the paycheck and publishing papers.
The recent shenanigans with the highs boson fake discovery case in point.
Osteopathy is phenomenal for acute needs, but they simple do not understand that developments outside of their limited sphere is equally as valid.
If you can't patent it, you can charge obscene amounts of money for it.

(09-07-2012, 05:03 PM)Goldenratio Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't patent it, you can charge obscene amounts of money for it.

I think you meant for the bolded words to match.

Yes- IMO the notion of "intellectual property" was the worst idea since the notion that human beings could "own" patches of the earth's upper crust. Really- how can somebody be the owner of a thought or idea?
(09-07-2012, 05:03 PM)Goldenratio Wrote: [ -> ]Real science is done in spades. Alas its about the paycheck and publishing papers.
The recent shenanigans with the highs boson fake discovery case in point.
Osteopathy is phenomenal for acute needs, but they simple do not understand that developments outside of their limited sphere is equally as valid.
If you can't patent it, you can charge obscene amounts of money for it.

Uhm...why am I afraid to even ask what you mean by that? : O
Raised LDL occurs when there is inflammatory injury to the blood vessels and not enough anti-oxidants to offset damage. Thus, cholesterol is brought in to repair the injury like a scab.

I am in the process of writing a cholesterol guide that includes

1. Stopping the source of inflammation - Get on a paleolithic diet. Absolutely no sugar or wheat. Drink only water and herbal tea. Remove toxic heavy metals from the body (via safe amalgam removal, chelation, and/ or IR sauna) and remove any teeth that have had root canals.

2. 3g of omega-3 daily. Also, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin D, and magnesium.

3. Sleep with melatonin

4. Getting some exercise. EECP is the easiest way to get proper exercise without actually doing anything.

If this person is on a statin wants to stay on them, it is absolutely necessary that they take CoQ10.
(11-07-2012, 05:11 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]3. Sleep with melatonin

Be aware that melatonin has a contraindication for those with heart arrhythmias.
I put him on bentonite clay and chlorella and along with his meds his cholesterol levels have plummetted so he is off the meds.
Is he willing to do what it takes - make radical lifestyle and dietary changes?
(11-09-2012, 02:31 AM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]Is he willing to do what it takes - make radical lifestyle and dietary changes?

He's always been very careful with his lifestyle and diet...he was a marathon runner since his teens until a few years ago (he's 62). Always ate good nutritious food. So I have to surmise psychological issues may have exacerbated the issue somehow.
I was 20 when I was first checked and I found out that my cholesterol was high, I don’t remember the number but something about 240. I don’t drink any medications, I just changed my eating habits, I eat more products that lower cholesterol - rice, walnuts, avocado garlic, drink aloe vera juice (see the article) or read here, green tea (it can lower cholesterol by 2-5%), dark chocolate, avocado, garlic and so on. I have my numbers down to 220 now, sometimes it is higher but so far some of these products help me.
removed