Bring4th

Full Version: Albert Pike - Morals and Dogmas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking of picking this up. Have any of you read it? Morals and Dogma: Of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Of Freemasonry

In this book, Pike describes in detail the concepts and rituals taught in the first 32 degrees of Freemasonry. I haven't really researched this subject at all, but considering the symbols and terminology are the same as what Ra describes, it may be useful to see what knowledge Masonry has had access to from Egyptian times.

I imagine it is simply a path of initiation which reveals wisdom and truth, but there are those who pervert it and use it for their own power. It may be useful to read some of Pike's insights. I found these quotes in the comments section interesting..

"We do not undervalue the importance of any Truth. We utter no word that can be deemed irreverent by any one of any faith. We do not tell the Moslem that it is only important for him to believe that there is but one God and wholly unessential whether Mahomet was his prophet... And as little do we tell the sincere Christian that Jesus of Nazereth was a man like us, or His history but the unreal revival of an older legend. To do either is beyond our jurisdiction. Masonry, of no one age, belongs to all time; of no one religion, it finds its great truths in all."

"Thus Masonry disbelieves no truth and teaches unbelief in no creed... It draws no sword to compel others to adopt its belief."
I have tried to read it (my father's old copy)...if you are not already deeply initiated into the symbolism of high-level masonry/illuminati/egyptian-hermetic mystery schools, you may find it entirely incomprehensible. And, by the way, if you think you really do know a lot about this symbolism, Morals and Dogma most likely will quickly disabuse you of this notion. Good luck.
Yeah, some reviewers found it quite difficult. I'd be interested in hearing Pike's social commentary for the purpose of understanding their positions.
Quote:The blind Force of the people is a Force that must be economized, and also managed, as the blind Force of steam, lifting the ponderous iron arms and turning the large wheels, is made to bore and rifle the cannon and to weave the most delicate lace. It must be regulated by Intellect. Intellect is to the people and the people's Force, what the slender needle of the compass is to the ship--its soul, always counselling the huge mass of wood and iron, and always pointing to the north. To attack the citadels built up on all sides against the human race by superstitions, despotisms, and prejudices, the Force must have a brain and a law. Then its deeds of daring produce permanent results, and there is real progress.
http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/masonry/Alb..._Dogma.pdf
p.p.s....for those who are unfamiliar with him, a few words about Pike are in order.

Albert Pike was an extremely sinister man, very much aligned with the Service-to-self path. He was an agent of British and French bankers who wanted to seize as much of a young America's assets as was possible. To that end, he worked tirelessly during the 1850s to create tensions between northern and southern states; he was more responsible for the American Civil War than any other individual. During the wars, Britain and France stationed many warships off the eastern coast of the United States, hoping to pounce on a weakened America once it was sufficiently exhausted from the conflict. This was prevented only by the timely intervention of the Russian Czar, who sent his own navy to insert itself between the Anglo-French force and the American coastline.

After the war, Anglo-French aims having been frustrated, Pike (who was behind Booth's assassination of Lincoln) was instrumental in creating the Knights of the Golden Circle, a secret society whose aim was to cause chaos to the victors in the war, and keep the flames of passion burning in the South, so that the war could be resumed as soon as possible. He also created the Ku Klux Klan as a front organization, to deflect attention away from the Knights of the Golden Circle. The famous outlaw Jesse James was a member of the Golden Circle, and committed his robberies not for personal gain, but to fund that organization (which, believe it or not, was active until at least WWII!).

Icaro, before you read Morals and Dogma, you might wish to read more deeply into other accounts of Pike and his activities. I recommend, particularly, the book Shadow of the Sentinel, by Warren Getler and Bob Brewer, which is an account of one man's interest in the Knights of the Golden Circle and its buried treasure. Unlike Morals and Dogma, which is a drudge and a puzzle, Shadow of the Sentinel is a real page-turner, the sort of book that grabs hold of you and won't let you eat or sleep until you have finished it....a really good read.

Pickle - Interesting. Then there is a quote like this.. "Masonry teaches that all power is delegated for the good, and not for the injury of the People; and that, when it is perverted from the original purpose, the compact is broken and the right ought to be resumed; that resistance to power usurped is not merely a duty which man owes to himself and his neighbor, but a duty which he owes to his God... This principle neither the rudeness of ignorance can stifle nor the enervation of refinement extinguish... The wise Mason will not fail to be a votary of Liberty and Justice."

In reference to what you posted, it could be that Pike isn't referring to all commoners, but rather to those who push dogmatic religion, therefore those who are blind/not illuminated? To make it clear, I'm not defending a power structure, just trying to understand their perspectives.

Eddie - Thanks for the info..I'll look into that other book.