Bring4th

Full Version: Recommend some podcasts to ease the pain of work...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, can anyone recommend good podcasts I can download to the Ipod and listen to while at work? It's such a looooong day, and I'm all out of my stash of In the Now. Some interesting interviews would be good, or channelling podcasts, funny stuff...anything non-mainstream really except Alan Watts.
This website is great..Psychedelic Salon. Lots of good McKenna lectures. Listen to the Gary Fisher podcasts too..starting from the bottom up.
do they have to be channeling type podcasts? i know of an amazing british history podcast. and roman history podcast. truly draws you in and gets you exited for the next ep :-) and super informative :-)

Avocado

Ah I'm so glad you ask. Are you familiar with Joe Rogan and his podcast??? If not, check him out, he has some cool stuff to say. Funny too. If yes surely you have heard of Duncan Trussell. I love this guy. He seems a bit more interested in the occult and spirituality than Joe. Both are great podcasts but I just can't get enough of Duncan. He is HILARIOUS!

The Duncan Trussell Family Hour: http://duncantrussell.com/

The Joe Rogan Experience: http://www.joerogan.net/
(09-24-2012, 09:34 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]This website is great..Psychedelic Salon. Lots of good McKenna lectures. Listen to the Gary Fisher podcasts too..starting from the bottom up.

I love listenting to Terrance McKenna...his voice is mesmerising! Will check this out for sure!! Thanks
(09-24-2012, 09:36 PM)Conifer16 Wrote: [ -> ]do they have to be channeling type podcasts? i know of an amazing british history podcast. and roman history podcast. truly draws you in and gets you exited for the next ep :-) and super informative :-)

It can be any type of non-mainstream podcast. With the channeling podcasts I actually haven't found any as yet, but I've listened to quite a few podcasts of interviews with Darryl Anka who channels Bashar.
(09-24-2012, 09:36 PM)Avocado Wrote: [ -> ]Ah I'm so glad you ask. Are you familiar with Joe Rogan and his podcast??? If not, check him out, he has some cool stuff to say. Funny too. If yes surely you have heard of Duncan Trussell. I love this guy. He seems a bit more interested in the occult and spirituality than Joe. Both are great podcasts but I just can't get enough of Duncan. He is HILARIOUS!

The Duncan Trussell Family Hour: http://duncantrussell.com/

The Joe Rogan Experience: http://www.joerogan.net/

Don't know either of those guys....will check them out. Thanks.
I used to be the biggest podcast junkie. I'm a bit better with it these days Smile

all I can do is offer a smorgasbord, and let you pick and choose.

for buddhism (which I suspect isn't your thing) there is Audio Dharma and Zencast.

for films, there is Filmjunk

if you have access to youtube, you can just listen to the audio of Scott Mandelker (he does commentary on the Law of One) http://www.youtube.com/user/TWSMandelker

- -

these are DEFINITELY not in your topic range, but I'll reference them just for myself:

gaming: Gamers with Jobs
pc tech: PC Perspective
baseball: ESPN Baseball Today

- -

when I was doing music (which I am just about to get back into incidently) I used to like this site http://contrabassconversations.com/ even though I don't play the double base lol

comedy: WTF with Marc Maron (might or might not be down your alley; he swears a lot, is pretty profane).

and that's about it off the top of my head!
Have you ever had a chance to listen to This American Life on NPR?

This is by FAR my favorite thing to listen to on the internet or on the radio. It's not spiritual per se, but it is absolutely and beautifully rich with emotion and human spirit. Each episode focuses on a different theme and they usually tell 2 or 3 stories focusing on that theme. Sometimes it's deep investigative journalism, sometimes it's simply telling stories of everyday people. This program never ceases to move me at my very core. I get to listen to it every week on a weekly long drive I have and almost every single week I am wiping tears from my eyes, whether from sadness or from joy. There's just something about how these stories are presented that really tugs at the heart strings.

The archive contains a whopping 475 episodes going all the way back to 1995.

I've probably caught about 50-60. My favorite so far is Amusement Park. I literally had to pull off to the side of the road to collect myself after listening to Act 1. It affected me very deeply.

Seriously one of my favorite things ever.

If you're looking for something more spiritual, the Sons of the Law of One podcast has some decent gems.
(09-24-2012, 11:23 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I used to be the biggest podcast junkie. I'm a bit better with it these days Smile

all I can do is offer a smorgasbord, and let you pick and choose.

for buddhism (which I suspect isn't your thing) there is Audio Dharma and Zencast.

for films, there is Filmjunk

if you have access to youtube, you can just listen to the audio of Scott Mandelker (he does commentary on the Law of One) http://www.youtube.com/user/TWSMandelker

- -

these are DEFINITELY not in your topic range, but I'll reference them just for myself:

gaming: Gamers with Jobs
pc tech: PC Perspective
baseball: ESPN Baseball Today

- -

when I was doing music (which I am just about to get back into incidently) I used to like this site http://contrabassconversations.com/ even though I don't play the double base lol

comedy: WTF with Marc Maron (might or might not be down your alley; he swears a lot, is pretty profane).

and that's about it off the top of my head!

Hey thanks Plenum...by the way I'm a big fan of Audio Dharma. I love Gill Fronsdal's meditations. I have ADD so meditation makes me very anxious and stressed, but the guided meditations on Audio Dharma are very good.

I've got Marc Maron on my Ipod, and I used to like it but he gets very angry sometimes and I absorb peoples emotions so can't listen to it for very long. Same with Greg Giraldo, but I love his "Good Day to Cross the Road" cd. I've got Mitch Hedberg with "Strategic Grill Locations" ready to go on the Ipod, also Patton Oswalt's Werewolves and Lollipops + one other I can't remember. Just finished Paul F Tompkins "Freak Wharf" which had me in hysterics. I've listened to Bill Hicks so often over the years I can't stand to listen to it anymore. May need to delete from the Ipod for a while. He's another one that get's pretty angry. There's some others which I can't think of now, but with a few exceptions I realise they are mostly angry. May need to rectify that....
Thanks for your suggestions.
(09-24-2012, 11:35 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]Have you ever had a chance to listen to This American Life on NPR?

This is by FAR my favorite thing to listen to on the internet or on the radio. It's not spiritual per se, but it is absolutely and beautifully rich with emotion and human spirit. Each episode focuses on a different theme and they usually tell 2 or 3 stories focusing on that theme. Sometimes it's deep investigative journalism, sometimes it's simply telling stories of everyday people. This program never ceases to move me at my very core. I get to listen to it every week on a weekly long drive I have and almost every single week I am wiping tears from my eyes, whether from sadness or from joy. There's just something about how these stories are presented that really tugs at the heart strings.

The archive contains a whopping 475 episodes going all the way back to 1995.

I've probably caught about 50-60. My favorite so far is Amusement Park. I literally had to pull off to the side of the road to collect myself after listening to Act 1. It affected me very deeply.

Seriously one of my favorite things ever.

If you're looking for something more spiritual, the Sons of the Law of One podcast has some decent gems.

I have a feeling I'm going to like your first suggestion. I've never heard of This American Life, but I find the same emotion rising up listening to Carla and Jim on In the Now. It's like your heart has opened and you don't know what to do with the outpouring of love you feel...just at hearing someone speak! Sons of the Law of One I've listened to alot in the past. May revisit. His voice is good for the beach or bath, languid and soothing.

I am so excited. I came into work last week and this week, deflated at not having anything to listen to and now my wish for a truck load of good listening has manifested! Thanks guys. Keep em coming if you think of any others.
Great Ideas of Philosophy, Professor Daniel N. Robinson
(09-24-2012, 11:35 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]The archive contains a whopping 475 episodes going all the way back to 1995.

Thanks for posting. I found the first act touching. The 2nd act was funny. Listening to 3rd act now.
(09-25-2012, 04:19 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2012, 11:35 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]The archive contains a whopping 475 episodes going all the way back to 1995.

Thanks for posting. I found the first act touching. The 2nd act was funny. Listening to 3rd act now.

There is something about that first act that really hit me hard. I doubt it would influence everyone the way it did me, but my heart broke when I listened to his voice, explaining how much passion he had for what he did, but how everyone in his life disapproved of it and wanted him to move on. I feel like society would just work if everyone were encouraged to live their passion regardless of societal expectations. How many people do you know that can inspire teenagers to actually love a job like that? For him to be that excited about his job that he can inspire excitement in others, it's obviously something special...yet looked down upon by the people who love him.
[/quote]
I feel like society would just work if everyone were encouraged to live their passion regardless of societal expectations. How many people do you know that can inspire teenagers to actually love a job like that? For him to be that excited about his job that he can inspire excitement in others, it's obviously something special...yet looked down upon by the people who love him.
[/quote]

Yes so true. I must listen to this episode.

I actively encourage my son to do whatever makes him happy. But his father, and my father tell him that's rubbish and he must go to university and be a doctor or a lawyer. It just makes me so frustrated that people who love him dearly would want him to spend decades of his life memorising text books in order to achieve the prestige of a doctorate, instead of doing something he really loves. Thankfully I have been more successful in my guidance. His ambition is to be a bass guitar player and tailor of mens suits. The only negative is the constant strumming of his guitar which can jangle my nerves if I've had a stressful day.
A picture he drew for me of the suit my husband will wear on our wedding day (I don't even have a boyfriend!):

[attachment=1025]