Bring4th

Full Version: NASA on crusade to debunk 2012 apocalypse myths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:WASHINGTON (AFP) - The world is not coming to an end on December 21, 2012, the US space agency insisted Monday in a rare campaign to dispel widespread rumors fueled by the Internet and a new Hollywood movie.

Rumors? There have been rumors? Where have we been?

Quote:NASA insisted the Mayan calendar in fact does not end on December 21, 2012, as another period begins immediately afterward.

They must be getting spiritual, or they have an inside line on some unknown other Mayan calendar lol!

Here's the article:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/091109/od...ce_offbeat
Hmmm...interesting!

Nassim says Nibiru has already come and gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTlqtoQf3Ik

fairyfarmgirl

What we are seeing is Emissaries of Light being installed in all sectors of life. Refreshing is it not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhgN3-7aYI

ayadew

"And in the last night, you will see an increase of false prophecies and saviors"
Quote:"We have already determined that there are no threatening asteroids as large as the one that killed the dinosaurs," the space agency said.
Nice one Smile Not that I believe in the whole asteroid disaster theory myself. But I just wonder how they managed to "determine" this...
(11-11-2009, 07:50 AM)ayadew Wrote: [ -> ]"And in the last night, you will see an increase of false prophecies and saviors"

Revelations number?

Can anyone quote Qur'an on this too?

ayadew

Not sure where it's from, it just came to mind. I've probably read it a long time ago... and it's likely connected to the night's of the Mayan calender which we're in now.
This is actually the last night of incredible negativity, and then it's the last day which ends in infinite good - 2012 - etc.
(11-11-2009, 11:52 AM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2009, 07:50 AM)ayadew Wrote: [ -> ]"And in the last night, you will see an increase of false prophecies and saviors"

Revelations number?

Can anyone quote Qur'an on this too?

Why's everyone looking at me? Wink

I'm not an expert (or even a beginner) on the Quran another example of a deep hole in my knowledge where one would rightly expect to find much more insight. Strictly speaking I should have read it. I have read parts of it but put off the whole thing because I'm also going to need a commentary or guidance to properly understand it instead of just wildly making my own guesses... And that unfortunately hasn't happened yet. Blush

I don't believe the Quran has anything equivalent to the biblical revelations. I can tell you the opinion of other muslims. Basically the world will eventually come to an end. But only God knows when, only God knows why, and only God knows how. It's pointless to speculate about this. And they'll remind us if we ask the question. That regardless of this 2012 business your own death is guaranteed to occur during our life. As such we should embrace Allah and submit to him to the end of our days.

It's my impression that mainstream Islam just doesn't concern itself with this. God decides and that's all we need to know about it.

Obviously there are many Muslims very interested in the 2012 prophecies for their own reasons. It isn't conflicting with the teachings of Islam. Though some will likely interpret this differently.
Thank you Ali! Smile
Quote:Except for the theme of monotheism, the Qur'an speaks more of the coming Qiyamah - also known as the Resurrection, the Day of Judgment, Day of Gathering, and the Great Announcement - than of any other topic. "Confessing the Shahadah - "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the Prophet of God" - and believing in the accountability of all humans before God are the cement which holds Islam together.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), among other things, came to warn us of a time when truth would be known, when the thoughts and intentions of the heart would be revealed. He earnestly proclaimed as inevitable a day when accounts would be settled and when scales would be balanced.

Fazlur Rahman, in an oblique paraphrase of sura 50:22, said that Judgment Day is the "Hour when every human will be shaken into a unique and unprecedented self-awareness of his deeds; he will squarely and starkly face his own doings, not-doings, and mis-doings and accept the judgment upon them. . . . "

Something like a Final Judgment or Day of Reckoning is a naturally corollary of monotheism. If there is one God who knows all and sets standards of behavior for the world, there must be a time of judgment, or the edifice crumbles of its own weight."

This major theme and promise is upheld not only in the Qur'an, but also in other religious scriptures. Though opinions may differ on precise details it is generally believed that it is connected to a time of momentous upheaval, calamity and the end of Earth.

The Muslim faith also believes in Jesus as the son of God, and that the second coming will mark "the final hour".

Quote:And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment: therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way.

Qur'an 43.61

More about "the resurrection" of mankind can be found here, though just as the Christian and other faiths find this confusing, so does the Muslim faith. It appears to me that only the LOO gives us a clearer understanding than those thousands of years ago understood, wanted to understand, or changed so as to acquire and/or maintain religious or political power.
(11-16-2009, 03:20 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]Except for the theme of monotheism, the Qur'an speaks more of the coming Qiyamah - also known as the Resurrection, the Day of Judgment, Day of Gathering, and the Great Announcement - than of any other topic. "Confessing the Shahadah - "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the Prophet of God" - and believing in the accountability of all humans before God are the cement which holds Islam together.
Like I said, I wish I were more of an expert here. Smile I don't have the knowledge to actually disagree with you on this... But it seems to me the bible does the exact same thing. Yet the consequence of this isn't that every Christian believes in 2012.. All I'm saying that main stream Islam is basically the same.

Quote:This major theme and promise is upheld not only in the Qur'an, but also in other religious scriptures. Though opinions may differ on precise details it is generally believed that it is connected to a time of momentous upheaval, calamity and the end of Earth.

Yet the quran itself does not go into the detail that the biblical revelations do... It's true that searchers have found clues in the Quran that seem to point to 2012. But whether this is selective interpretation I cannot tell. I certainly do know it is not part of the commonly held belief of Muslims or Sufi's.. Yes the world is going to end but at a time known only to God. And while this is spoken about, people on the whole assume they will die natural deaths.. And like in Christianity this "personal apocalypse" is empathized.

Mohamed himself apparently believed that the end was to come only a few years after his revelations. We could say his prophecy is now about 14 centuries overdue.

Like in Christianity there is a lot to do about the afterlife. But very few followers put an actual date on it. It's one of those things that is always in the future. I know for a fact that the few times this was mentioned among the Sufi's it usually resulted in blank stares. And I think my Initiator interpreted the presence of the belief in the group as a sign of the past more than actual knowledge of the future (Karmic patterns) If he knew more then he held his lips tightly sealed on that subject.
(11-16-2009, 06:15 PM)Ali Quadir Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2009, 03:20 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]Except for the theme of monotheism, the Qur'an speaks more of the coming Qiyamah - also known as the Resurrection, the Day of Judgment, Day of Gathering, and the Great Announcement - than of any other topic. "Confessing the Shahadah - "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the Prophet of God" - and believing in the accountability of all humans before God are the cement which holds Islam together.
Like I said, I wish I were more of an expert here. Smile I don't have the knowledge to actually disagree with you on this... But it seems to me the bible does the exact same thing. Yet the consequence of this isn't that every Christian believes in 2012.. All I'm saying that main stream Islam is basically the same.

I am in agreement brother. I had hoped the point I made was of that meaning. BigSmile
Namaste Peregrinus.. Smile

Incidentally. This 2012 movie is triggering a lot of would be debunkers right now. They're all focussing on the mayan calendar and on how it doesn't predict the end of the world. Which is of course a straw man. All that's consistently pointed at by the believers is a big event around that time. Not necessarily the end of the world.