Bring4th

Full Version: My husband is building a hen house
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My family recently acquired 3 hens. a friend was looking for a home for these old girls so we agreed to take them. Plan is to get 5 chicks in the spring, so we can have fresh and happy eggs. It's quite a learning experience! I didn't realize that we wouldn't get many eggs from these old girls who are kind of past their prime.

It will be really good for my kids and nieces and nephews to experience this close connection to food, and the withdrawal of supporting industrial egg production.

The hen house is pretty deluxe, my husband can really get into a project! Most definitely not a cost effective way to get eggs! Probably will take many years o recoup costs.

But a consciousness raising endeavor, and conversation starter, bringing the issues into others awareness in a positive way.
Hi Shemaya, My girlfriend is really into raising chickens herself, she used to have 14 of them and had an incubator so she could hatch more and sell them as pets to local families. Unfortunately we moved to the city and had to get rid of them all, but I look forward to when we can start raising some more Smile

This website is a good resource for info about raising chickens: http://www.backyardchickens.com/

Chickens are a lot of fun to watch and hang out with. Goofy little birds Smile
Yes, they are fun and joyful little creatures, I feel. We do have a lot to learn, thanks for the link. I have browsed that site a bit!

I have been talking about doing this for about 2 years. My husband was really not into it initially, but now that the opportunity has arisen, he is full steam ahead. Makes me feel happy Smile
thats wonderful shemaya. sounds like a LOT of fun.
Wonderful! There was a discussion about chicken coops, but I forgot which thread it was in. You might ask Austin!
I'd love to see pictures of the hen house if you feel like sharing!
Austin, do you remember that old thread where someone posted pictures of chicken coops? And you offered suggestions? Do you remember which thread it was? It had some discussion about raising chickens that might be helpful.
I'm trying to remember where it is...I do remember the conversation but I feel like it might been a side-conversation in a thread.
weren't you building that chicken coup that never got finished Austin?
If it's the thread I'm thinking of, I believe Shemaya was part of that discussion.
Yes , i think it was on the infamous locked thread. We started talking about solutions to the current torturous system of food production.
I took some photos of the in progress project. I will try to post!