Bring4th

Full Version: comparing the matrix and potentiators in operation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
after the individual archetypes have been studied, one by one, and some of their governing energies laid into the aware mind, Ra recommends studying the archetypes in groups to further find correlations and deeper understandings of patterns and interactions between these nodal points of processing.

one such relationship exists between the Matrices and Potentiators.

for the Body, the Matrix is the Balance (scales), and the Potentiator Wisdom.

for the Mind, the Matrix is the Magician, and the Potentiator the High Priestess.

for the Spirit, the Matrix is the Devil, and the Potentiator the Lightning Struck Tower.

the matrix may be seen in all cases as the position which is acted upon, and the potentiator that which offers something which may lead to potential growth and change. This interaction of the matrix and potentiator generate the catalysts which lie one level above.

one can consider the matrix = soil
and the potentiator = the fertilizer

if you want to talk plant metaphors. The soil (matrix) is fairly inert by itself, and is barren without the fertilizer (potentiator). However, the fertilizer is quite pungent and harsh, and is quite often not appreciated by the matrix for the potential value it has to offer.

- -

this dynamic tension can be quite easily illustrated in the interaction between the Magician and High Priestess, to use the mind as an example. The Magician (conscious aware mind) is quite happy with its intellectualising and theorising. it is quite perturbed, however, by the High Priestess which sits just beyond the Veil, and offers tantalising hints in the form of dreams and symbolic nudgings. These things are so hard to understand, why is she so vague? so coded? how can I trust these promptings, when it is impossible to convince another of the truth of the high priestess' message? (wholely subjective interpretation). one cannot convince, but must rather take that first leap of faith and trust in the intuition.
Interesting thoughts, plenum. How do you square the idea that the matrix is that which is acted upon with Ra's statement that the matrix of the mind is that which reaches?
yes, I see your point Tobey. Ra identifies the matrices as male principles (that which reaches or initiates), and the potentiators as feminine principles (that which awaits).

I guess in this system the matrix is active and has nowhere to reach for but the potentiator above.
I think it depends on whether we're talking about mind, body, or spirit -- matrix of the mind is male, but of the body is female. I'm not sure who does the reaching with the body, though. Ra says that the matrix of the body is in motion with no possibility of stopping (paraphrasing from memory) and needs the stillness of the sage (card 9) for potentiation. So in that case, who is reaching?
yes, I was thinking a lot today about the matrix and potentiator of the body ... and trying to explain them to myself ... they are 2 cards that I have worked with the least. That's what triggered this post; I thought I had a working hypothesis.

I guess I should have gone back and read a bit more of the source text Tongue

Ra explains things much more succinctly here:

Quote:78.11 Questioner: Could you elaborate please on the nature and quality of the matrix and the potentiator?

Ra: I am Ra. In the mind complex the matrix may be described as consciousness. It has been called the Magician. It is to be noted that of itself consciousness is unmoved. The potentiator of consciousness is the unconscious. This encompasses a vast realm of potential in the mind.

In the body the matrix may be seen as Balanced Working or Even Functioning. Note that here the matrix is always active with no means of being inactive. The potentiator of the body complex, then, may be called Wisdom for it is only through judgment that the unceasing activities and proclivities of the body complex may be experienced in useful modes.

The Matrix of the Spirit is what you may call the Night of the Soul or Primeval Darkness. Again we have that which is not capable of movement or work. The potential power of this extremely receptive matrix is such that the potentiator may be seen as Lightning. In your archetypical system called the tarot this has been refined into the concept complex of the Lightning Struck Tower. However, the original potentiator was light in its sudden and fiery form; that is, the lightning itself.

as to your question, I think the Significator comes into play here, as that is the actor (and the one acted upon).
The male reaches, the female receives.

The Matrix is the bed fertile for experience, the Potentiator is the seed which begets the experience.

To look for the masculine and feminine principles in their purest forms is to attempt to make the Archetypes something they are not: simple. What we often have are aspects of male and female intermixed into a single Archetype. The Magician and High Priestess almost seem to have a seahorse kind of relationship.

All of these movements occur within the Significator, for the Significator is the entire Mind, Body or Spirit.