Bring4th

Full Version: Watching out for hidden hooks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a thread that's scheduled for deletion, since it went off topic for this site, Bring4th_Steve had an excellent post that I'd like to discuss more.

Quote:There is a LOT of mixed polarity information out there. And one of the tactics that I've seen from the negative elite is that they will regurgitate information of the light, so that the reader will feel attracted to author of the information, and then *POW!* The author will slap the reader with condescension or more information that is hardly light-based.

In this case, we have a lot of LOO material cited to help this character become "qualified" by the readers. Notice all the positive instructions offered, including the mention of being STO 50% of the time (which is really supposed to be 51%, otherwise you have not made any choice!).

I ask all of you to please be very careful when reading material out there, and learn to quickly identify the pattern of, "I love you, I love you, you are wrong, I love you, I love you".

The negative energies are doing anything they can at this point, including riding into message forums in a trojan horse made of "light", but opening up once in your heart with dis-information.

It's nice that the (offsite) link was posted for others to see, but we are not looking to "host" (offisite person)'s words here. Please remember to be sensitive not to detune Bring4th with negative material, per the posting guidelines.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't want this insightful post to get lost. That pattern of "love, love, attack, love, love" is one that has sure got me hooked in person, not just reading online. I'd never seen it so clearly called out as Steve put it here.

Sometimes destructive misinformation can be wrapped up in false positivity, like a burrito with tasty sauce over a toxic filling.

Question: What are some ways to increase our wisdom and insight so we don't fall for this type of negative hook? What helps keep us "tuned up" so to speak?
I'm so glad you preserved Steve's excellent post! I almost didn't want to delete the thread because I didn't want to lose that!

Excellent topic of discussion!

I think mainstream religions are full of those hooks. "God loves you...you are a wretched sinner...believe a certain way, or ELSE! be tortured forever! oh but God loves you..."

This pattern is easily recognized in fundamentalist religions, but perhaps more difficult to recognize when it's cloaked in New Age jargon.

What I've noticed as being helpful is to get past the fluff and dissect what is really being said...remember how we used to dissect sentences in English class? Or, if you've ever taken a logic class, you'll know about congruency...look for congruency. If the statements aren't congruent, then that's a clue right there. Ex: "You are a beautiful being of Light...you have free will and can discern for youself...I am from Dimension X and I have the truth...believe what I say or you won't ascend" ...stuff like that...see how it's incongruous? First it said we can discern, then it said it was an authority...you can't have it both ways! If they are claiming to be some sort of authority or expert, or if they say something bad will happen if we don't do xyz, or if reading it generates FEAR, then I would be suspicous of mixed-polarity or even negative polarity. The good guys don't threaten or judge!

ayadew

The "I love you, I love you, you are wrong, I love you, I love you" got into my head also. Rarely do you see such wisdom in a simple sentence. Smile

I do not wish to spread any negativity, but this man explains many of our religion's intentions in a humorous way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o
Please look upon it with love and humor and understanding for those that choses the path of these religions, for they are exactly where they should be in your life. And so are you. Do not judge...

For indeed the 'good guys' do not judge. They accept you for who you are, and offer information that you may discard if it does not resonate with you - for they believe you to be perfect already.
hi,
I'm sorry if I got seriously off-topic.
(11-26-2009, 12:47 PM)carrie Wrote: [ -> ]hi,
I'm sorry if I got seriously off-topic.

No problem! It happens sometimes. Heart
(11-25-2009, 07:48 PM)Questioner Wrote: [ -> ]Question: What are some ways to increase our wisdom and insight so we don't fall for this type of negative hook? What helps keep us "tuned up" so to speak?

Excellent query, Q.

Here's a thought: A skillful thief who chooses you for a mark will study your habits, deduce your weaknesses and then play upon them. Therefore, one protective measure is to be aware of your own capacity to be seduced.

Years ago I used to attend a local satsang of a narcissistic guru. While driving there I would have foreboding, but when I meditated there I would have feelings of such deep satisfaction. I asked a psychic (whom I saw now and then in those days) about the contradiction and she told me that when I would meditate there I would be taken to a place in the inner planes where I would feel very powerful. This explanation fit hand-in-glove. It was their way of sucking me in and feeding off me because, at that time, power was a feeling I enjoyed. That was why it smelled bad beforehand, but then I liked it when it occurred.

Beware the wolves in sheep's dress indeed, but beware your own motivations as well. If you find yourself motivated to follow something because it draws from you a deeper experience of Divine Love, that's one thing. If you follow it because it feeds you tasty goodies, that's another. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference. When I need to trap mice in my home, I use real--and very satisfying--bait...and then they are destroyed.

It's reminiscent of the Hansel and Gretel story. Whereas one was taken in by the sweet words and bad diet (as a substitute for genuine parental love and affection), the other was more aware of her own capacity to be fooled.

On the other hand, there are no mistakes. Each one learns over a long period of time. I would just say that careful study of yourself is an excellent way to maintain a semblance of balance when it comes to sniffing out seductive invitations to destruction.

This would have been such a good thread around Hallowe'en, Q.! But now as the days grow shorter and the nights longer, this is also a good time to ponder such things while sitting in the cave before the restless flames.

Rather primal stuff, eh?
(11-28-2009, 03:54 PM)peregrine Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a thought: A skillful thief who chooses you for a mark will study your habits, deduce your weaknesses and then play upon them. Therefore, one protective measure is to be aware of your own capacity to be seduced.

Years ago I used to attend a local satsang of a narcissistic guru. While driving there I would have foreboding, but when I meditated there I would have feelings of such deep satisfaction. I asked a psychic (whom I saw now and then in those days) about the contradiction and she told me that when I would meditate there I would be taken to a place in the inner planes where I would feel very powerful.

I believe that's a common hook for cults, and for almost any type of abuser. A small portion of truth is used out of context, as bait. Perhaps your guru either copied or discovered something true about meditation. That truth was then wrapped it up inside rules about that truth demanding your allegiance to everything about the guru, whether or not it was helpful to you. In other words, the entree was a poison burrito with tasty salsa.
hi,

there is related question.

how do you cleanse yourself of this poison water?

Quote:In other words, the entree was a poison burrito with tasty salsa.
(11-29-2009, 05:24 AM)carrie Wrote: [ -> ]hi,

there is related question.

how do you cleanse yourself of this poison water?

I think that's a great question!

I guess one way is to ask the person, "What does love mean to you?"
If they say, "I can't be bothered, but I know it means you're wrong!" then maybe this doesn't add up!

If love is unifying, wouldn't love have to be the same in either direction? Would the other person feel loved if someone told them what they say to you?

Another thing that helps me very much is to think about the Law of One material that discusses respect for someone who is a student. For example, a typical introduction from Q'uo:
Quote:As always, we would ask for you to use your discrimination, listening carefully and distinguishing between those thoughts that seem helpful and resonant to you and those thoughts that do not. Please abandon those that do not ring true to you and work with the ones that seem helpful. In this way, you have protected your own process of evolution and have used your free will in order to distinguish between thoughts helpful to you and those not. We thank you for this consideration.

And from Carla's "Wanderer's Handbook":
Quote:It is not dishonest to refrain from sharing what has not been asked. Be one who looks to plant a seed of thought, at most, and then move on, rather than offering the heart of self’s beliefs when unprompted.

Is the person who says they love you a respecter of your own free will, of your right to any path you choose that does not harm anyone else? Are they waiting for you to ask, "please help me to understand and to grow," or are they just dumping on you?

Even a healthy, tasty meal is not healthy or tasty if it is shoved onto your plate as something you're forced to eat, whether or not you have an appetite or any room to take in something new. Isn't the same true of learning and teaching? I think a true teacher would respect that.

Once you realize that the effect of a particular teaching was not loving growth for you, then you can decide to review the material and, as Q'uo suggests, fill your plate with just the morsels that appeal to you today. The infinite Creator will make sure that even if you do decline something from the buffet today, you will have another opportunity for another good spiritual meal as soon as you are ready.