Bring4th

Full Version: Monasteries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the event that someone was willing to join a monastery to begin taking their growth seriously, where would one go? Could I get some recommendations of places to go?
(12-08-2012, 08:58 AM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]In the event that someone was willing to join a monastery to begin taking their growth seriously, where would one go? Could I get some recommendations of places to go?
My feeling is that the decision to join a monastery would be due to a strong calling for that type of structured life in particular. It typically does not have anything to do, whatsoever, with taking growth seriously.
how old are you?

when I was around 19-21 I felt the strongest urge to move to Thailand and become a buddhist monk for life. Never followed through on it, of course.

the alternative to the allure of the monastic life is finding ways to create more free time in your ordinary life. For eg, if you are able, to drop down to 4 or 3 days of paid work if you are able to survive on that reduced income.

the extra time that opens up for use in meditation or reflection or reading or contemplation is like the highest gold; and an asset that even the rich and wealthy are poor in.
Good idea, working less often with a good paying job hadn't occured to me.
When I was first out of school and had all kinds of weird philosophical ideas that made it hard for me to integrate into the capitalist workforce so me mum would always say that I should join a monastery. What she doesn't realize is that I am pretty sure already spent my last lifetime in a monastery Tongue. I think my job in this life is to take the serenity I learned there and translate it into a typical western life. Not super easy, to be sure.

Sorry, that didn't even address your question OP, I'm just all about talking about myself today hehe
(12-08-2012, 01:15 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]how old are you?

when I was around 19-21 I felt the strongest urge to move to Thailand and become a buddhist monk for life. Never followed through on it, of course.

the alternative to the allure of the monastic life is finding ways to create more free time in your ordinary life. For eg, if you are able, to drop down to 4 or 3 days of paid work if you are able to survive on that reduced income.

the extra time that opens up for use in meditation or reflection or reading or contemplation is like the highest gold; and an asset that even the rich and wealthy are poor in.

I'm 26. A couple months ago, I retired from work, sold everything, and moved to Costa Rica, to spend more time working on myself. It has helped me grow in leaps and bounds. However, I still feel that I would be better off in a monastic situation. I'm really looking for someone, a teacher, who can see me better than I can see myself, to help guide me in the right direction. Although, I feel I'm doing great on my own, I also feel that me telling myself that I'm doing fine on my own, is just my ego telling me that it's trying to stay around that much longer. I'm ready to commit fully, I don't really see a greater purpose to spend my time on.
MattSaldana,

Do you spend time in meditation? Inside you lives a teacher too you know..
Does joining a 'Monastery' excite you? Or are you doing it because you believe it is the route to attaining a higher level of awareness? In the case of the later, you may unknowingly restrict the ways in which direction can come to you.

I would first and foremost advise that the greatest guidance comes the Self, within. You also have your Higher Self and a multitude of Source & Spirit guides which you have empoyed prior to incarnation. Use them! They are literally begging for you to ask them.

If you haven't already done so I would focus on attaining an awareness, and then a connection with your (H)Self/Guides. Meditate, placing your thought in the Matrix and listen. Your greatest teacher is yourself.
(12-08-2012, 05:47 PM)Aureus Wrote: [ -> ]MattSaldana,

Do you spend time in meditation? Inside you lives a teacher too you know..

Thank you, I agree. I also do spend time in meditation. I've committed even more time to it recently. I'm doing very well in many aspects and I feel it is helping me a great deal! I appreciate your concern! I have been learning so much from myself on a daily basis, with each and every situation that presents itself, it's been incredible. I've made a lot of major life changes to completely focus on becoming a better person and loving unselfishly. Although I feel I have grown, I still feel the need for a coach, other than myself.
One profound advice from my own Guides was that "Spirituality isn't a chore". I still have problems with belief in that I will try to 'make things' happen rather than letting them.

Often when I 'surrender', or 'let go' and simply let them take in charge of my Reality Construction new direction comes to light.
(12-08-2012, 05:52 PM)Horuseus Wrote: [ -> ]Does joining a 'Monastery' excite you? Or are you doing it because you believe it is the route to attaining a higher level of awareness? In the case of the later, you may unknowingly restrict the ways in which direction can come to you.

I would first and foremost advise that the greatest guidance comes the Self, within. You also have your Higher Self and a multitude of Source & Spirit guides which you have empoyed prior to incarnation. Use them! They are literally begging for you to ask them.

If you haven't already done so I would focus on attaining an awareness, and then a connection with your (H)Self/Guides. Meditate, placing your thought in the Matrix and listen. Your greatest teacher is yourself.

Joining a monastery does not particularly excite me. The idea of having someone who sees things in me that I am missing and can help point them out to me, is what one might say "excites" me. So the answer to the second questions is more or less this: I am considering joining a monastery to help facilitate and hasten my growth. As well, I appreciate your advice. I work daily on attaining more and more awareness and connecting with my higher self. What I really seek now is a teacher, to help me learn from lessons I may be overlooking. An enlightened master will always see more of the bigger picture than I do, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. Before I can help others towards enlightenment, which is the ultimate goal, I must first enlighten myself. I really don't see any sense in putting it off any longer. I'm ready to commit fully to it now.

(12-08-2012, 02:40 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]When I was first out of school and had all kinds of weird philosophical ideas that made it hard for me to integrate into the capitalist workforce so me mum would always say that I should join a monastery. What she doesn't realize is that I am pretty sure already spent my last lifetime in a monastery Tongue. I think my job in this life is to take the serenity I learned there and translate it into a typical western life. Not super easy, to be sure.

Sorry, that didn't even address your question OP, I'm just all about talking about myself today hehe

May I ask what makes you pretty sure you were in a monastery in a past life?
(12-08-2012, 06:31 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]Joining a monastery does not particularly excite me. The idea of having someone who sees things in me that I am missing and can help point them out to me, is what one might say "excites" me.

Hi Matt, I would like to say that you can find this sort of teacher in everyone you meet. Every other self you meet provides you with a reflection of an aspect of yourself. Seek to understand the dynamics of the relationships you have with others and the way people react to you and you will have your teacher.

(12-08-2012, 06:31 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2012, 02:40 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]When I was first out of school and had all kinds of weird philosophical ideas that made it hard for me to integrate into the capitalist workforce so me mum would always say that I should join a monastery. What she doesn't realize is that I am pretty sure already spent my last lifetime in a monastery Tongue. I think my job in this life is to take the serenity I learned there and translate it into a typical western life. Not super easy, to be sure.

When I was young my father took me to see a psychic who told me that they saw me in a previous life climbing a Himalayan slope in Buddhist robes and that image has resonated with me.
(12-08-2012, 10:31 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2012, 08:58 AM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]In the event that someone was willing to join a monastery to begin taking their growth seriously, where would one go? Could I get some recommendations of places to go?
My feeling is that the decision to join a monastery would be due to a strong calling for that type of structured life in particular. It typically does not have anything to do, whatsoever, with taking growth seriously.

I should have said more seriously. I have already gone to great lengths to take my growth seriously. I left the work force, retired, sold everything I owned, and moved to a place where I could make my growth a full time job. What I seek now is a teacher to help me pick up anything I may be missing. Although I feel I'm doing great alone, it could not hurt to have an enlightened teacher give me further assistance. This to me, is a huge benefit of the monastic life. Like any learned subject, a person could teach themselves, or a person who wanted a greater understanding more quickly, could call upon someone who already has a great understanding to teach them. In almost any situation, a person who sought out a teacher would learn the material faster. I see no point in delaying it any longer than I already have. I'm ready to commit full time to seeking enlightenment. Perhaps I do seek more a more structured life at the moment. I believe, from my point of view, in my circumstance, structured growth could be very helpful to me. It may be just what I need to facilitate hastening my growth.

(12-08-2012, 06:36 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2012, 06:31 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]Joining a monastery does not particularly excite me. The idea of having someone who sees things in me that I am missing and can help point them out to me, is what one might say "excites" me.

Hi Matt, I would like to say that you can find this sort of teacher in everyone you meet. Every other self you meet provides you with a reflection of an aspect of yourself. Seek to understand the dynamics of the relationships you have with others and the way people react to you and you will have your teacher.

(12-08-2012, 06:31 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]

When I was young my father took me to see a psychic who told me that they saw me in a previous life climbing a Himalayan slope in Buddhist robes and that image has resonated with me.

To that I might say, to be wary of any channeled vision, you never really know for sure who was channeled. Being in a monastery in a previous life, also does not mean you ever reached enlightenment. Nor does it mean that you don't have to reach enlightenment in this lifetime either. Remember that the part of your mind that says, "I spent my last lifetime as an enlightened monk, why do it again?" is your ego trying to prevent it's death and your consequential enlightenment. Remember that you can't teach what you don't have. Unless you are enlightened, you cannot teach others to become enlightened in the western world.

To the other, I would say, you are absolutely correct! I do see it in every person, every situation, and everything that presents itself to me on a daily basis. I work on this constantly. I just feel the need to work harder and I feel that I could get more work done with a true teacher to help guide me.

(12-08-2012, 06:27 PM)Horuseus Wrote: [ -> ]One profound advice from my own Guides was that "Spirituality isn't a chore". I still have problems with belief in that I will try to 'make things' happen rather than letting them.

Often when I 'surrender', or 'let go' and simply let them take in charge of my Reality Construction new direction comes to light.

That is great advice! I would not think of learning or spirituality as a chore, but as an honor and a great opportunity to grow alongside another enlightened person.

It's a paradox, by surrendering or letting go, you are making things happen consequently.
The Abbey of Gethsemani (Cistercian, I think), near Bardstown, Kentucky, is an excellent place for weekend retreats. Lay people are welcome, and it is a popular place for those wishing to explore monasticism to try it out for a while. Thomas Merton got his start at Gethsemani.

I've been wanting to go there myself for some time, just to enjoy the quiet. Even in my own home I have trouble meditating without being disturbed. Sad
If it is true, that your inside lead you here, searching for a teacher.. I must ask, what is your idea of enlightenment?
(12-08-2012, 08:02 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]The Abbey of Gethsemani (Cistercian, I think), near Bardstown, Kentucky, is an excellent place for weekend retreats. Lay people are welcome, and it is a popular place for those wishing to explore monasticism to try it out for a while. Thomas Merton got his start at Gethsemani.

I've been wanting to go there myself for some time, just to enjoy the quiet. Even in my own home I have trouble meditating without being disturbed. Sad

Thank you very much, I will be heading back to the states for the holidays, and perhaps this might be a place I could visit while there!

Hi Matt,
I spent some 10 months or so at Buddhist Monasteries in UK (Cittaviveka/Amaravati) which are from the Forest Tradition of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedo (as visitor as well as novice/anagarika) - impressive meditation teachers. I recommend those places for anyone truly interested in serious meditation practice. Also there is the option of going straight to Thailand at Wat Pah Nanachat or Wat Pah Pong. And there is one monastery in US, it's called Abhayagiri.

The environment is very good designed for meditation practice; for me, from all Buddhist traditions, Theravada or Zen seem to be the one most diluted of any cultural content and left with the basis of mental/meditative practice. Of course, there are some limitations in usual life due to joining a traditional religion in form of restraints (sexual, verbal, conduit), but they can be integrated as part of the practice. It is good to be informed on all aspects before making any step in this direction - ask, if necessary.

The branch monasteries from western europe (Amaravati/Cittaviveka) were established some more than 30 years ago by Ajahn Sumedho , a monk that from perspectives of many, is a 'realized' being.

If you have any questions, let me know, I have some experience in this field.

I agree with this: I moved from monastery and am developing life in such a way as to balance 'material life' - getting an income, family, relations, etc- with moving towards more inner practice, i.e. meditation, contemplation, open awareness. I really expect to experience (some) enlightenment this lifetime BigSmile (a modesty joke, of course BigSmile)
(12-08-2012, 08:21 PM)Aureus Wrote: [ -> ]If it is true, that your inside lead you here, searching for a teacher.. I must ask, what is your idea of enlightenment?

My idea of enlightenment is to be one with everything, which is to love unselfishly at all times, and be free from the ego. That is my path and my purpose. While I understand that I can pursue this path on my own everyday, I'm here to seek help, like an addict seeking rehabilitation. I feel I'm making great strides on a daily basis in my battle with my ego. However, as I get higher up the mountain, I'm starting to see my ego is much larger than I ever thought it to be. Even when I tell myself that I've made so much progress, it is only my ego telling me that. My ego is so large it is beyond my comprehension right now. Wherein lies the issue; my ego is so large, that I alone cannot see beyond it. I wish to work with a guide who has been to the top of the mountain and can see my ego better than I can, from a higher vantage point.

(12-10-2012, 10:41 AM)mihai Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi Matt,
I spent some 10 months or so at Buddhist Monasteries in UK (Cittaviveka/Amaravati) which are from the Forest Tradition of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedo (as visitor as well as novice/anagarika) - impressive meditation teachers. I recommend those places for anyone truly interested in serious meditation practice. Also there is the option of going straight to Thailand at Wat Pah Nanachat or Wat Pah Pong. And there is one monastery in US, it's called Abhayagiri.

The environment is very good designed for meditation practice; for me, from all Buddhist traditions, Theravada or Zen seem to be the one most diluted of any cultural content and left with the basis of mental/meditative practice. Of course, there are some limitations in usual life due to joining a traditional religion in form of restraints (sexual, verbal, conduit), but they can be integrated as part of the practice. It is good to be informed on all aspects before making any step in this direction - ask, if necessary.

The branch monasteries from western europe (Amaravati/Cittaviveka) were established some more than 30 years ago by Ajahn Sumedho , a monk that from perspectives of many, is a 'realized' being.

If you have any questions, let me know, I have some experience in this field.

I agree with this: I moved from monastery and am developing life in such a way as to balance 'material life' - getting an income, family, relations, etc- with moving towards more inner practice, i.e. meditation, contemplation, open awareness. I really expect to experience (some) enlightenment this lifetime BigSmile (a modesty joke, of course BigSmile)

Hello Mahai,

Thank you so much for your terrific information! I am going to send you a PM, I would like to know more!
(12-08-2012, 05:40 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm 26. A couple months ago, I retired from work, sold everything, and moved to Costa Rica, to spend more time working on myself. It has helped me grow in leaps and bounds. However, I still feel that I would be better off in a monastic situation. I'm really looking for someone, a teacher, who can see me better than I can see myself, to help guide me in the right direction. Although, I feel I'm doing great on my own, I also feel that me telling myself that I'm doing fine on my own, is just my ego telling me that it's trying to stay around that much longer. I'm ready to commit fully, I don't really see a greater purpose to spend my time on.

Hi Matt!

Of course- only you know what is best for you. But if you are only two months into your new life, maybe it would be good to give it a little while more. Otherwise, you might end up joining a monastery and then changing your mind in two months again! Smile

A question- Are you seeking more solitude? Or more social interaction? Or neither?
(12-10-2012, 01:09 PM)Tenet Nosce Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2012, 05:40 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi Matt!

Of course- only you know what is best for you. But if you are only two months into your new life, maybe it would be good to give it a little while more. Otherwise, you might end up joining a monastery and then changing your mind in two months again! Smile

A question- Are you seeking more solitude? Or more social interaction? Or neither?

I would say neither. I get plenty of social interaction, which I really enjoy at times. At other times, I just feel like I'm wasting time. Solitude isn't really what I'm looking for either. Although more solitude might help, I don't think that is the answer either. My ideal situation would just be to work with someone who understood my path, had been down it themself, and could guide me in the right direction as well. As if I were struggling in math and wanted to get help from a tutor. This is why studying at a monastery seems like the right place for me right now.

Cyan

I Was shortly at a Buddhist monastery (nalanda) in S-France. While the place was nice there was more political infighting there than in most places I've been. If you wish to actually participate in a monastery, found one. (as in, start one).

Get a small plot with 3-4 extra rooms in the countryside somewhere with a good cheap job that will pay you enough to take care of yourself, the property and anyone who visits. Put on a robe and hang a sign "Monastery, ask X for entrance into order" and just name it something.

There, you have your own monastery.

The teachings come from the facility (monastery itself) not the people in it. IF you found one with an open heart, only those with an open heart will gravitate to it, and you will always learn more Smile

I'd recommend some good site in the US or possibly Argentina or other area with large enough tracts of unused land. (Costa Rica would work since thats where you are now..) With well maintained basic farming / very simple basic work to pay the maintanance.

The place where I went to made their money by organizing and selling handycrafts.

All you need is the location, the beds, the offer of monastery like life, and something that will guarantee you and your first 4 guests can live without any worry.

Once that is established, you put the first 4 guests so that 1 earns enough money for the next 4 and the other 3 maintain and improve the location while spending most of their time in studying and improving the studying facilities of the area (bringing books, improving librarires, so on).

The only real way to go somewhere is to create the somewhere you go to.
(12-08-2012, 05:40 PM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]I'm really looking for someone, a teacher...

The best teacher that I have known personally is the LOO series, courtesy Ra.
(12-11-2012, 08:47 AM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]I would say neither. I get plenty of social interaction, which I really enjoy at times. At other times, I just feel like I'm wasting time. Solitude isn't really what I'm looking for either. Although more solitude might help, I don't think that is the answer either. My ideal situation would just be to work with someone who understood my path, had been down it themself, and could guide me in the right direction as well. As if I were struggling in math and wanted to get help from a tutor. This is why studying at a monastery seems like the right place for me right now.

Ah, I see. Well I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Ticos are Catholics so you might be able to find a Catholic monastery..? On the other hand there are tons of American expats down there so I'm sure you could find somebody with a more spiritual bent who has been down there for a while.
(12-11-2012, 01:16 PM)Tenet Nosce Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2012, 08:47 AM)MattSaldana Wrote: [ -> ]I would say neither. I get plenty of social interaction, which I really enjoy at times. At other times, I just feel like I'm wasting time. Solitude isn't really what I'm looking for either. Although more solitude might help, I don't think that is the answer either. My ideal situation would just be to work with someone who understood my path, had been down it themself, and could guide me in the right direction as well. As if I were struggling in math and wanted to get help from a tutor. This is why studying at a monastery seems like the right place for me right now.

Ah, I see. Well I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Ticos are Catholics so you might be able to find a Catholic monastery..? On the other hand there are tons of American expats down there so I'm sure you could find somebody with a more spiritual bent who has been down there for a while.

Very true. I'm not necessarily tying myself to Costa Rica. I'm really willing to go anywhere in the world if the circumstances were right.