Bring4th

Full Version: Can you get lung cancer after 5 years of smoking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been smoking for 5 years and I stopped smoking around 2 weeks. What worries me is that for the past year I have basically chest pains and recently I begun having a consistent cough and some an occasional mucus (yellowy/brown). Should I be worried that I have lung cancer? Or could it be something else that I have? Because one thing is for sure... this is a sign that there is something wrong.
One can get lung cancer without ever smoking. We are not doctors here, so I would suggest seeking medical attention.
I agree wholeheartedly with Peregrinus, this is definitely a concern to take to a doctor.
Most likely you've overworked your lungs. Smokers often develop some wheezing coughing or chest pains. The mucus is a normal response by the lungs to get rid of the dirt.

There's no reason to panic, but it IS your body telling you that smoking is not very good for you.

I'm not a doctor of course. But this sounds like what happened to my wife.
All, this is becoming a bit unusual to be treading into the waters of medical topics on a spiritually-oriented web site...

Stifenhowk, your question is definitely appreciated, but it doesn't seem to have any spiritual foundation, and it feels rather odd to be solicited for medical advice when none of us are authorized, by law, to diagnose, treat, or prevent any diseases or human conditions. Like others mentioned, there are many, many other places to discuss this.

In fact, try going here:
http://www.mdadvice.com/ask/ask.htm

You can ask a real doctor the same question you asked us, and you will receive a professional and qualified answer in return.

Good luck!
Steve

(11-30-2009, 01:46 AM)stifenhowk Wrote: [ -> ]I have been smoking for 5 years and I stopped smoking around 2 weeks. What worries me is that for the past year I have basically chest pains and recently I begun having a consistent cough and some an occasional mucus (yellowy/brown). Should I be worried that I have lung cancer? Or could it be something else that I have? Because one thing is for sure... this is a sign that there is something wrong.