Bring4th

Full Version: the etiquette of editing one's posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just wanted to get some opinions on the etiquette of editing one's posts.

I know that some people will put an "edit note" at the end of their post if they've made any changes, saying what and why it's been changed.

often, I will see that I've made some typos but not go back and 'edit it' because of some sense that I've shifted my view or redacted a position.

I have seen whole posts being 'removed' after further consideration.

the thing is, once it's published, it's out to the open world, and people have read it. And will choose to respond to what you've said.

in the end, everyone is free to do what they please about posting and editing; but just interested in what the community opinion is.

thanks

ps there was a classic case of a member who edited all their posts to nothing after they decided to leave.
i like the Strikethrough made from [s] and its corresponding end thingy, and maybe a note saying why i changed my mind on whatever i was talking about

Cyan

Well then, this burns my ears.
I've noticed the larger edits and removal tend to be done if not yet quoted. We had a good example of that recently, the "I'm not ready" thread which turned into a very long thread, even though the entire meaning of the original post was changed after a few responses. This rendered the first (unquoted) responses obsolete and even confusing because they were no longer addressing extant info.
I've seen another member (now gone) post after what seemed to be drinking binges. And they often removed their entire posts after more sober consideration.
I never make a note if I'm just editing typos. I might catch a typo days later, and will fix it. But if I make a substantial change in content, change any meaning, or add additional thoughts, then I'll make an edit note.

I remember that person who gutted out all her posts before leaving. We tried to advise her not to, but she did it anyway, before we realized what was happening, and then it was too late. We were as stunned as everyone else.

(01-31-2013, 10:31 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen another member (now gone) post after what seemed to be drinking binges. And they often removed their entire posts after more sober consideration.

Oh wow, I must've missed that!

(01-31-2013, 10:03 AM)spero Wrote: [ -> ]i like the Strikethrough made from [s] and its corresponding end thingy, and maybe a note saying why i changed my mind on whatever i was talking about

Oh, I was wondering how they did that!
I've removed some of my posts in the past when I was convinced I was being harvested negative and was "giving bad advice" to others. I think twice now about making changes even to my signature.

And I sometimes have more to add to a post like I'm doing now. In case I get new thoughts to help clear something up.

Meerie

I sometimes go back and edit, because I am scared of inadvertently being unclear or false in what I write
Confused
it can be quite obsessive. Blue ray imbalance maybe
i make edits as i see fit, i see any requirement for etiquette concerning editing posts as a waste of energy, much too anal of a chore. There are more important things to do.
Not an issue, unless, it is to alter another person's quote for dishonest and manipulative purposes.
when you look at sts it stares you right back in the face

why would we need to defend against manipulative or dishonest purposes when all of us here are of the light

and it's simple enough to know when someone isn't forthcoming, and simpler to love them for their spark but not their actions.
I haven't gotten the vibe of anyone here trying to be deceitful.
Wasn't talking about 'STS' but about 'etiquette'.
(01-31-2013, 08:20 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't talking about 'STS' but about 'etiquette'.

It seems that for one who can simply justify their actions as being "accepting" then etiquette is beneath their efforts.
(01-31-2013, 08:20 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't talking about 'STS' but about 'etiquette'.

"Dishonest and manipulative" are STS traits, though STO-oriented people may sometimes engage in such actions.

But for the record, no one can edit another person's post, unless you mean when they quote someone in their own post. I haven't seen anyone doctor another's person's quote, though I have seen cases of quotes taken out of context...about which we can only speculate as to intention.

(01-31-2013, 09:52 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that for one who can simply justify their actions as being "accepting" then etiquette is beneath their efforts.

Can you explain what you mean here?

Brittany

I'm OCD about spelling and grammar, so if I see a typo, I'm going to edit it. I generally don't think anything of an edited post unless, as Zen said, it is no longer in context with the rest of the thread, which rarely happens as far as I can see. If someone is projecting accusations due to the fact that the post has been edited they are simply looking for something to read into, and would have found something to nitpick regardless.
Are you both looking at the words I used to describe the mal-intent (i.e., dishonest and manipulative). Self-serving... thats something many people partake in regardless of whether they call themselves 'wanderers' or 'sto' or whatever.

So if I say someone is dishonest and manipulative, then that person is automatically an "STS-like," without attempting to understand what led this person to act in such a manner... and the type of distortion(s) this person may be trying to work with? I don't see how labeling certain behaviors & tendencies as STS OR STO would be helpful. It'll be like doing a symptom check-list and diagnosing someone with some condition... and things are not that simple.

Anyway, this is off topic.
(01-31-2013, 10:43 PM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2013, 09:52 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that for one who can simply justify their actions as being "accepting" then etiquette is beneath their efforts.

Can you explain what you mean here?
Sure. Etiquette is an obvious tacit social obligation which strives for balance. It's also a constraint which challenges convenience. Overriding the perceived need for etiquette is the mindset where such obligations are beneath one's efforts. The justification for ignoring etiquette is the perception that the need for dialog formalities has been subsumed by a more encompassing attitude of acceptance or an overriding assumption as to the potential value of teaching/learning.

I've seen people on this forum edit posts for content and meaning rather than for grammar or spelling, if they can get away with it. Intentions do change, especially after someone subsequently points out errors in thought. And it does seem at least somewhat "unfair" to those who have already responded to the expressed intention, and confusing to others. However, the revisionism isn't as bad as the unnecessary assumptions, knee jerk reactions, and puerile ego-drivin spiritual-pride that members express.
(01-31-2013, 11:43 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Sure. Etiquette is an obvious tacit social obligation which strives for balance. It's also a constraint which challenges convenience. Overriding the perceived need for etiquette is the mindset where such obligations are beneath one's efforts. The justification for ignoring etiquette is the perception that the need for dialog formalities has been subsumed by a more encompassing attitude of acceptance or an overriding assumption as to the potential value of teaching/learning.

Ah, ok. Thank you!
I only edit my posts when I feel a need to perhaps add information, or to reformulate in a clearer way. I tend to just move forward, post-posting :p Sometimes I look back at my posts and see just how much I've grown.

Posts are only temporal expressions of opinions anyway. Unless the post could be seen as harmful to anyones learning, I wouldn't bother changing the content.

***EDIT*** spelling error, subtracted one letter, and capitalized another Wink
(02-01-2013, 03:41 PM)Aureus Wrote: [ -> ]***EDIT*** spelling error, subtracted one letter, and capitalized another Wink
Intense irony for all to enjoy. Did anyone catch that.
Who cares about who does what with their posts? Seriously? If one wants to edit in this way, and another one in different way - let them! This is the Creator in all of Its glory, having fun, and gettng to know Its patterns like the fanned peacock’s tail, each facet of the Creator vivid, upright, and shining with articulated beauty, right? BigSmile
I edit all the time.

(02-02-2013, 08:45 PM)Ankh Wrote: [ -> ]Who cares about who does what with their posts? Seriously? If one wants to edit in this way, and another one in different way - let them! This is the Creator in all of Its glory, having fun, and gettng to know Its patterns like the fanned peacock’s tail, each facet of the Creator vivid, upright, and shining with articulated beauty, right? BigSmile

That's quite an extravagant perspective on editing, Ankh Wink
(02-02-2013, 04:39 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2013, 03:41 PM)Aureus Wrote: [ -> ]***EDIT*** spelling error, subtracted one letter, and capitalized another Wink
Intense irony for all to enjoy. Did anyone catch that.

Quite ironic having to edit a post about refraining to edit, yes. However my edit was not of vanity, rather because a typo hindering one sentence from making any sense.
(01-31-2013, 06:20 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I just wanted to get some opinions on the etiquette of editing one's posts.

I know that some people will put an "edit note" at the end of their post if they've made any changes, saying what and why it's been changed.

often, I will see that I've made some typos but not go back and 'edit it' because of some sense that I've shifted my view or redacted a position.

I have seen whole posts being 'removed' after further consideration.

the thing is, once it's published, it's out to the open world, and people have read it.  And will choose to respond to what you've said.

in the end, everyone is free to do what they please about posting and editing; but just interested in what the community opinion is.

thanks

ps there was a classic case of a member who edited all their posts to nothing after they decided to leave.

I've noticed a few people edited all their posts away, what's wrong with that though?
Ahaaaa, yeah, I removed all my posts before I had my first account deleted.

The reason for it was that I felt at the time that what I was saying became superfluous and unnecessary. By that time my ideas had somewhat evolved and I felt that I would be framed by all of my previous words in a way which would be contradictory. Thus, to enable a clear expression of new thoughts without attachment to the old I emptied my posts.

I love words and I love to write but there are often times where I feel they are often used to define a person and their character but I define myself by the silence and so I wanted to emphasize that who I am is not the same as the words I've written.
(01-07-2018, 12:00 AM)Aion Wrote: [ -> ]I wanted to emphasize that who I am is not the same as the words I've written.

These words hit home so deeply in me I'm at a loss of what to say.

It seems your silence is powerful lol
Lately I have especially had large amounts of catalyst pertaining to the use of words and language. More I am drawn to the mindset as a child and have renewed my motto: I only say what needs to be said, as such as I perceive things. Sometimes that means saying a lot. Sometimes nothing at all.
~
[Image: 6370.jpg]

Well this just goes to show that sometimes ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------- [redacted -- 1.4 ( c )] -------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
more than somewhat.
And that goes double for those naughty forum-posters who, under cover of anonymity, gratuitously deprive us of crucial public-domain
information. But at last, after much ferreting-out, these malefactors of memory-holing are revealed!:

[Image: 144907_Cropped_FOIA_Party.jpg.1200x400_q85.jpg] 

[Image: opsec.jpg]  Cool

[Operational Security Reminder: This post is set to auto-delete randomly sometime after the 23,925th view of this thread]