Bring4th

Full Version: Reversing the Spotlight of Projection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
sometimes seemingly simple tools have very powerful effects.

one of these, I believe, is that thing known as Psychological Projection.

this concept is not secret. It has been around for some time.

basically, it goes like this:

1) we see something that offends/upsets/enrages us. We see that it was person X that did this

2) we then say in our own minds that person X is so _____ (insert the quality that you are objecting too. Let us say, arrogant, self centered, etc etc)

3) The Projection has effectively taken place

the theory of projection then says that the quality that we have labelled that other individual with (lets say arrogrance, self centeredness, etc etc) is something that we have denied or unaccepted in ourselves. This projection causes a tension whenever we think of that person. It is an internal dissonance, a sounding of a wrong note. We know we feel uncomfortable.

- -

The way to reverse the projection goes as the following:

* change the above sentence, "Person X is so _____", to something like "I am so _____"

* see if any memories arise. See what surfaces in your consciousness. I almost guarantee you that something will : d

* you will quite often see that memory of yourself, and think of a failure, a self judgement, a critical view of what you did or how you behaved. You might have been quite young at the time. But you will see quality in motion.

* what next? one can forgive oneself. That quality that has been dormant, under the radar has been evoked in you by that other individual (Person X) acting as a mirror for you. That is not to deny that Person X indeed is so ____, but once the forgiveness takes place, you can react without charge to that individual. You will be able to think of that individual and not judge them, because you are no longer judging yourself.

- -

I can give a concrete example.

When I started applying this technique a couple of years ago, I had tensions and conflicts with certain fellow co-workers. This never escalated into open dislike, but we rarely greeted each other or had much interaction. There was a non-acceptance on my side preventing any sort of communication.

one guy, in particular, let us call him "William", I also saw taking longer breaks that others. Goofing off. Chatting. Not pitching in to help the team in a difficult spot. So I labelled him a shirker, a bludger, a good for nothing (two of those terms as most likely australianisms : d). And this tension lasted for years.

when I reversed the Projection, I found that way way back, when I first started this job, I had taken longer breaks than usual too. Not because I didn't want to do the work, but because I was tired and leery of making mistakes and letting others down. I too was 'shirking' but I had put a positive spin on it. Same act. But deep down, I knew I was still disappointed in myself for not being to help or contribute. There was a self-criticism to myself. And so I forgave myself.

things changed almost immediately with "William". There was no longer this tension, this sense of rejection. We are not the best of buddies (our interests and demeanor differ widely) but there is not that tension that was there previously; he is still the same guy, and still does what he does, but the element of judgement has been removed from my mind. I can accept him for who and what he is, at whatever level he happens to be experiencing his reality.

the analogy that is often given is that after the Psychological Projection has been reversed you will be able to see that individual like you would see a green or yellow or blue car. You note the color (the qualities) but you won't be reactive in any way. It is what it is; another beautiful aspect of varied Creation.

- -

ps examples will not usually be this cut and dried, in fact, they usually have layers of permutation to it. But your mind will always be able to seek out the emotional resonance for you if you ask. Sometimes the memories go way back. One I'm working with comes from the age of 3 Smile
Excellent post.Smile
Simple yet powerful. I have employed this for a while now and has aided in shedding light on previously held unconscious beliefs and thought patterns. This also allows for an acceleration of awareness.

I tend to see my meetings with other Selves as a Mirror. If any negative emotions are projected I can then probe my self for the source. In any case it's the understanding of taking responsibility rather than placing the blame on another.