Bring4th

Full Version: Paying for Spiritual Services
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Unbound

So, I am curious to see what opinions are like around here on this. I bring it up because I am a practicing energy healer and despite all rationalizations I just dont feel proper asking for money for healing. I feel that healing is such an important aspect of growth that it should be freely available to all.

This of course is difficult for me since I do not gain enough income to pay for my own accomodations or even food much of the time, and thus I have to rely on the generosity of my family, which makes me feel terrible for taking up those resources. It is possible for me to go live freely on the land, I am able to do that, but I struggle with that because I feel like I need to be available as a healer, and living in the forest makes me less available.

I am capable of numerous other spiritual services as well, beyond healing, but there is nothing there which is not already widely available, both for a price and for free. In many cases I simply feel my services are not necessary.

There have been times where I have been paid or given money as a donation for my services, and even then I had a hard time accepting it.

How do you all feel about paying for any such service?

Another question would be, what's the difference between an energy/spiritual service, and any other kind of service?

Do you feel some kinds of service are more associated with money than others?
I think it's ok to ask for a minimal to moderate fee for healing - I wouldn't insist on it before hand, or even right after, but whenever they can pay.

I think requesting money for healing allows you to devote more of your time to healing, and you can even heal the poor as you tell them to pay you when they are able.

There may be those who do not come to because (1) they dislike the fact that you are charging or (2) if you do not advertise as free, they might believe they cannot afford your services. However, the fact that you will be able to devote more of your time to healing as it becomes more of a fulltime profession allows you to serve more people because (1) you will be able to spend more time healing as the money you receive will obviate the need for doing non-healing work and (2) your increased amount of healing will surely circulate by word of mouth and more will seek you out.

Money is a big requirement here on third density. I think it's perfectly ok if you charge for healing. I personally only get a bad taste if you "turn people away" if they lack money. But if you just tell them to pay you when they are able, I don't think you'd lose out to much. If you find certain people repeatedly coming to you without paying, you can turn them away if you feel they could pay but are not willing and instead focus on those people who are sincere in their need and are willing to respect your healing abilities enough to pay for your service so that you may more fully dedicate your time to the healing arts.

However, I understand the faint memory I think many of us have of living in worlds where money was not required, and I do not think there is anything wrong with only doing free healing service.

As an aside, I frequently see many people who fall into the trap of perfectionism when it comes to spirituality - that a spiritual principle must be done perfectly, or not at all. I think that misses the lessons of service to others philosophy and love, but that is just me Smile

At the end of the day, the choice is yours! Smile

Unbound

Aha Your last bit on perfectionism spoke directly to my Virgo nature and does indeed seem to be a main aspect of my struggles.

I think a key point that you touched for me is actually the valuing of my own service. In the nature of my Virgo perfectionism I often have difficulties seeing the value in my own services because I often see them from the point of view of always being incomplete, and unnecessary to others. I often feel like I am not able to provide the very best service to others, because I still have so much to learn, even though I may do MY best.

I would admit that I have some underlying fears of being seen as a fraud, even though there is ample evidence from the input of others that I present a very genuine self, and I know the reality of my work, there is a part of me which still has difficulty coming out to the public.

I think I may also have a fear of becoming more well-known due to the possibilities of emotional pressure aha
Money and services are both currency. They just have different values to different people.
(03-26-2013, 02:15 PM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]There have been times where I have been paid or given money as a donation for my services, and even then I had a hard time accepting it.

I have pondered this quite a bit before you even brought it up. I think you may have answered your own question on what's best for this situation... Say your services are free but suggest donations for basic living expenses.

Going forward, I would love some sort of institution or guild set up for healers/energy/psychic workers. Perhaps even a school or university could be set up in the future.

Unbound

Aha I don't see many people exchanging money for money, so I wouldn't say services and money are quite the same. I mean, if you serve yourself, what is the currency exchange there? Aha

We would then have to define currency purely as energy, which I am fine with, but sadly does not really assist me, since my issue is really the fact that I lack the desire to use money, and so by that have difficulties attracting it.

This is not a new challenge for me, either, I have been struggling with it for years, and have heard all manner of perspectives on it, with justification going both ways.

Of course, in another way it's not really a struggle, since I have chosen this, but my choices have natural ripples and right now I feel the choices I have previously made are not necessarily carrying me in the direction I originally intended, and am having to heavily reassess and reconstruct the choices Ive integrated in to my belief structure.
This is a tricky topic. As xise said, "money" is still the acceptable currency here in 3d. In fact, I agree with everything xise said, and your response.

I worked for a homeopathic doctor for a brief time a couple of years ago. This person struggled with the same issues. This healing center was very organised and run as a doctor's practice, with other " healing practitioners" also offering alternate modalities from the same offices. And while I often felt this person took advantage of some of the patients, I also saw that patients who weren't expected to pay didn't really value the services they received.

So, as xise said, perhaps you could request a minimal "donation", and trust that the individuals who seek healing will pay according to their means and to the level of healing they receive.

Hope that makes sense. In my mind, it's a bit of a loop and (as I said) tricky to pin down.

Unbound

Also, I have definitely considered the idea of some kind of guild or school, which always been one of my interests. There are schools and groups that exist already, but many are orientated towards particular schools of thought. There is actually a community college course in Vancouver which is a three year holistic healing course, so it has already begun to exist.

Yes, well right now my practice is to ask for donations to those I feel are able, but really, I think the core of my issue is that I have difficulties receiving. I seem to have a belief structure which causes me to be open to receive only out of absolute necessity, and I have been working to examine and understand this. I think I need to learn to find greater joy in the mystery of exchange, and realize that no action I perform decides that which I am.

I also likely need to work through my fear of power, which is very sharp for me and related to other lives where I severely abused my power. I suppose totally trusting myself is another thing.

Ah well, such is the journey.
The trouble with forming any sort of association, school or 'club' would be the invitation to negative entities to influence one in the direction of 'elite' etc.
This could prove to be a real temptation for the entity partially enlightened.
Maybe this happened already after or during the first Ra contact with 'earthlings'?

Unbound

Alas, my tablet does not let me see embedded videos, Horuseus.

Yes, this is true, Ashim, and why I have not yet made the attempt to do so. I understand why secret societies were originally formed, even if that model was also used negatively.
We could always get together, form a 'religion' and cash -in on the 'new age' movement.
I have a kaftan if that helps.
LOL
(03-26-2013, 05:26 PM)Ashim Wrote: [ -> ]We could always get together, form a 'religion' and cash -in on the 'new age' movement.
LOL

I would prefer to see Law of One not become a dogmatic religion. Tongue
(03-26-2013, 05:27 PM)Adonai-1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2013, 05:26 PM)Ashim Wrote: [ -> ]We could always get together, form a 'religion' and cash -in on the 'new age' movement.
LOL

I would prefer to see Law of One not become a dogmatic religion. Tongue

I have this new tech that I constructed out of soup cans and string that can 'read your mind'. I'm sure we could make a 'killing'.
Tell people that they have a problem (with their life etc.) and give them the soup cans.
It only costs 555.000 thousand.
If you get on-board quick I'll give you a 10% discount and include the Hidden_Hand transcripts for FREE.
To do healing makes me feel good. And in general I dont charge for things that make me feel good. And in general I also dont have the money to do the stuff that makes me feel good half as often as I'd want to.

Its a conundrum.

Unbound

Aha We're in the same boat!
I also have a boat where you can have FREE access to soup cans and other cool stuff.
I'll tell you the secrets of life if you 'buy in' to the soup can idea.
You can also meet actors and celebs.
Oh, by the way you have to sign a little contract for a few million years.
See, easy!
In third density our body needs to be maintained, I understand spiritual practitioners hesitate to be involved with money, but refusing to use money to the point of not being able to maintain proper living is not necessary. When we are doing something unnecessary then it might have to do non-acceptance.

Unbound

Yes, that is very much part of my consideration, especially if I want to consider myself and all selves on an equal plane ultimately then I have to realize that each tool may be used in many ways.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to keep track of all the math hehe Way to force us in to mathematical paradigms! People trade numbers, gain numbers, look how big MY number is! Aha Amusing!
It took me quite a while to realize this, but I now believe that our current society, "rules" and systems are there by collective choices. Seems obvious simply stated like that, but accepting this wasn't easy for me. Now that I did come to accept it, I find myself living in abundance while still remaining simple.

The monetary system is a choice made by all of us (including all of our previous "us") and since it is still very much wanted by most, accepting it will probably bring peace and balance to you while living in this reality at this particular time.

To answer your question, yes feel free to charge. Actually, most people could feel unease to receive a service without being charged for it. That is simply how things are right now.

I truly believe that the monetary system's days are numbered, but as you know "soon" can have a very different meaning depending on perspective.

So you might as well live in the NOW for now. Smile
(03-26-2013, 05:21 PM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]Alas, my tablet does not let me see embedded videos, Horuseus.

All is well, I will surmise.

Essentially, it would be advised to see below the surface representation of what 'money' is. It is in a sense a tool for society, energy crystallized within 3rd Density vibrations fashioned in a manner which society places elevated 'value' and 'meaning' over as a valid symbol of exchange for services. Your seeming external conflict may reflect inbuilt definitions or 'beliefs' you may hold regarding the nature of money, and thus it is something to be thanked for it is providing the service of being a reflection, and in offering of catalyst to see reality and it's confines for what it is, rather than what society dictates to you that it is. Allow me to clarify.

Many consider the notion of money to somehow be inherently be negative, as if the very concept of it is the root of all evil, yet also have the belief that in order to be successful one must have accrued a large amount of said currency. Another common belief is that one must be a 'good' person (as if there is an objective standard) and in looking at these three beliefs we see that one may never become successful or attract that reality as they have chosen to conflate the ideas of amassing money with being evil. The universe is very literal and will provide feedback as a mirror would, and as such if you feel guilty you will always encounter situations which exemplify and reinforce that guilt. If it appears to you that you may believe any of these three 'ideals' above, then it is an indicator that you are giving your own power away over arbitrary definitions which in 'reality' is a wholly subjective affair. Remember, the only person who will ever get in the way of your own self is you. Take 100% responsibility for your reality creation and abolish any inbuilt beliefs regarding the nature of reality if they may appear to not be conducive to the self and expansion of awareness.

You are always abundant in all (many choose an abundance of lack); if you were not you and were not inherently deserving you would never have existed at all because 'reality does not do pointless things'. The key is 'deprogramming' yourself from what society 'thinks' you should do and one of the ways in justifying this is leveraging your existing knowledgebase/experience in knowing that you, as a Creator/God in your own right, are inherently deserving of all.

Money is a perfectly valid symbol of abundance, and is neither lesser or greater than any other forms (Gifts, items grown naturally, and so forth). There is nothing 'non-spiritual' about money, logically speaking, for the entire life you are living is 'spiritual', as all is Spirit manifest. Know that on some level you agreed to play by the game rules of 3rd Density, and thus should honor them. Whilst you are here your body on a daily basis requires sustenance, a shelter to protect from the elements, a place to relieve yourself, among other necessities. And so to deny that which you agreed to playing the role with is to deny the self. Love yourself and your body, respect and fulfill the needs in whatever manner may be of least resistance, and see the beauty of being given the opportunity to have an intimate experience with physical reality through flesh, and thank your body for allowing yourself to do so. Life is meant to be enjoyed, just be. Life is too short to be concerned with how other people see you. See money rather as energy which is exchanged for other energy, rather than the print or negative misconceptions, because to chose to believe in such a definition is voluntarily giving away your own power.

From a more 'practical' standpoint, many who raise the issue about charging for such services will have no problem paying for a monthly subscription to cable T.V., or other such amenities which would likely prove detrimental to growth (often by corporations concerned purely with profit margins) yet scoff at that which may actually prove beneficial to the individual. The hypocrisy is that many, if not all would still be paying with money for their food, bills and other 'necessities', and so if they actually held a valid argument they themselves would be an example by not utilizing currency at all, though you will find the majority, if not all do not.

The point being, is that it isn't a question of money itself, but the misunderstanding that receiving information/healing/anything positive is a purely one way affair, not knowing that what you put in is what you get out. There is also the issue of many seeing money as a negative symbol, however that is a belief one chooses to believe in; it is but a tool, the result through use of which is dependent on the Human. Your role in this would simply be to provide the terminal for the energy exchange for the service.

See money being given as a gift from your own self (Since all is one) for your time and effort (which is also a form of energy). Do not be concerned with who cannot afford, for only those who were supposed to be brought to you will do so will make themselves aware to your consciousness within this mode of reality. You may be surprised and find someone who was exceptionally impressed and pay much more willingly than you expected out of Love, alleviating the need for future charge, so do not discount such possibilities. Have faith in spirit and the self, that you are unconditionally supported and you will find your reality will also reflect these ideals.

---

(Note to self: Redefine your definition of 'surmise'. Severe distortion is apparent Tongue).

Unbound

Aha! That was the reflection I was seeking, thank you, my friend. All you say I know, but you have arranged the pieces in a pattern which is more cohesive than mine was.

May I share one more silly fear of mine? I'm scared to be rich and famous! Aha
(03-26-2013, 02:15 PM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]I bring it up because I am a practicing energy healer and despite all rationalizations I just dont feel proper asking for money for healing.
What I found to be the best approach is to advertise a set rate and allow those with money to come forward.

For the rest that don't have money, that is where your heart reaches out. From there you can work on an individual basis on what they can afford, trade, or for free. (always remember that if everyone said you were free you will be taken for granted and taken advantage of)

Most healers will advertise a high price, yet work with those that have no way to come up with funding. You must always tell them to tell no one.

It has cost me money to help others, and I am only now finding out that there will be a return in the far future. This cost is offset by what I have learned through action, along with the connections I have gained outside of 3D.

Quote:I feel that healing is such an important aspect of growth that it should be freely available to all.

It is already freely available to all. What is going on here is those that choose to pay for external services as opposed to the immense amount of time and energy they would have to apply to learning to heal themselves.

If you were a farmer you may have the idealist view of giving out the food to all. In a skills/trade based society you would have a natural system of return. In a monetary system you will dig yourself a hole.
I essentially agree with everyone on this point, Xise especially. No use being a hungry healer - it does you or they little good.

As was previously stated, you can always waive or reduce a fee in order to be of service to someone with limited funds.

Take into consideration that no one would be forced to pay - each would see your cost up front and of their own volition decide whether your service was worth theirs.

Further, I'm sure that you would not be the type to charge exorbitantly for your service, or be driven by the desire for profit. Your only goal in receiving payment is sustenance - sustaining yourself. And you could always use Groupon.

In short, yes, you are worthy of financial remuneration for healing offered. Consider it an exchange of service, or a way of saying "thank you" by the person receiving the service.

Now, if you determine a way to live without money and meet your living requirements - whether because you've become humble servant of all who is sustained by divine manna alone, or because you won the lottery, or you just have a means to support a reasonable lifestyle outside of healing - then by all means prohibit the giving of money, and encourage the paying forward.

Until that time, your outer existence, so long as you have an outer existence, transpires within a context. For the most part, that context requires your payment for its services to you, and for your participation in it. You only cut yourself off at the knees to disallow payment to you, imo.

: ) GLB
Since my work is one that heals, but does have a set payment that I have no control over, I focus on offering the info, time, or service with no attachment to getting anything in return. I treat other distributors' customers the same as my own, with no regard for whether I make any $$ or not. This way, I can focus on being of service.

Then, when $$ does flow in, I receive it graciously and with gratitude.

That is what I try to do, anyway. The only time it's a challenge is when money is tight. I really dislike having to focus on money. I'd rather focus on being of service. I probably don't make nearly as much money as I would if I focused on making money, but I feel strongly that I'd rather not compromise my values. I don't think there's anything wrong with making money from helping others; surely that is better than making money by helping criminal corporations! It's funny when people say "You shouldn't charge for your services" yet they willingly work for a corporation that is destroying the planet, or destroying lives. They don't see the contradiction. If we must work to survive in this money-driven system, then why not do work that genuinely helps others? I find it much, much more fulfilling to receive checks in the mail after reading an email from someone who thanked me for helping them restore their health, than I did back when I was a paid slave to a corporation that lacked integrity. That felt like prostitution to me; helping them do things that I wasn't in alignment with, just to earn a paycheck. Sort of like selling my soul. In contrast, helping others, then receiving money in exchange, feels honest and rewarding.

The key is to never turn anyone away because they cannot pay, and to focus on being of service, rather than how much we will receive in return. I don't think there's anything wrong with receiving. The important thing is what we choose to focus on.

Then again, true prosperity has eluded me, so now I'm wondering if maybe I'm just kidding myself and what I think is living according to my higher principles is really just a poverty consciousness.

A genuine psychic healer I knew never charged for his services, but always kept a tips jar handy. When asked, he always said "a donation is appreciated but not required. Give whatever you can, based on whatever you think the service was worth to you." He told me that some people gave nothing or very little, but others gave large amounts, which made up for those who couldn't give. He didn't keep track of who gave what, but offered his healing services with an open heart and no attachment. He wasn't living in luxury but he didn't seem to be wanting either. He taught classes on prosperity also. He was very humble.

When you receive, you allow others to give. They are 2 sides of the same coin.

But I don't have it all figured out yet. If you figure it out, please let me know!
great thoughts monica !! be of service give your best and let go and let god. beautiful !!
Great thread everyone. Lots to think about.
(03-26-2013, 07:29 PM)TheEternal Wrote: [ -> ]May I share one more silly fear of mine? I'm scared to be rich and famous! Aha

I have this fear too. My parents always told me not to flaunt my wealth, not to show off, and just be one of the guys. In school, I would deliberately fail one or two questions so that I would not be the top student. At work, I accepted promotion very reluctantly as I found it difficult to lead and manage other people.

Quote:Then again, true prosperity has eluded me, so now I'm wondering if maybe I'm just kidding myself and what I think is living according to my higher principles is really just a poverty consciousness.

Same with me. I often feel awkward when I receive too much.