Bring4th

Full Version: Working with corperations and ethical responsibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I work at Starbucks and recently got promoted to supervisor there. I've been learning a ton about responsibility and working/managing effectively in the last couple months. It has provided tons of catalyst for growing and that is the main reason I work there right now.

On the other hand, almost every single product I wouldn't wish for anyone to hurt their body with. From the excess of sugary beverages and pastries and many different meat and animal based products I feel as if the service I am providing and supporting is in contrast to my beliefs. I'm the one who has to order the sausage sandwiches and chicken sandwiches. I want to try to limit the order to not ever order too much and make sure vegetarian options are always available. Is that right for me to desire to save animals while maybe bringing an ulterior/undermining motive to my job?

Starbucks does a almost decent effort to be environmently concsious, but still is lacking in many areas. Is me being inside trying to create a change from the inside better than being outside and not supporting that industry?
If you serve your customers well, discourage waste and do all you can to make Starbucks a better organization, I think you can only be of greater service working at Starbucks than not. The fact is it's going to take a lot more than a few people refusing to work for Starbucks to change the industry. If more conscientious people manage Starbucks locations, then I think things can only get better. This is only my opinion of course.
I agree with Adonai-1. Being there, working within to improve things is a wonderful service. I have, in past work positions, also found it helpful to bless the work. In other words, I would bless the orders as I placed them, as the materials arrived, and as I served them, asking that the foods and services would bring nothing but the highest good to all involved, including the trees and animals that provided the goods.

I appreciate your desire to be of service, MarcRammer, and send you blessings of love and light!
Sometimes it's hard to work within an organization to make changes but if you really believe and love the company, be the change agent from within! If you feel your services are best utilized in other capacities & in other places, go with that.
I think it is reasonably sensible to try to increase vegetarian options. Especially if there is a lack of same where you work. I'm a meat eater but still don't want to eat meat EVERY TIME I eat. Bought the only vegetarian option in Starbucks the other day. If you have vegetarian customers or customers who prefer non meat you would even be working positively for the company.

I value Starbucks a lot. Go there and play chess with my best friend. Starbucks lattees used to be my favourite (and contains less caffeine than Costa say. Costa has 157 mg Starbucks 52mg) Now, I have de- caf. Along with non alcoholic beer. Perhaps Carob if I want some chocolate, although I did eat some easter eggs because I was already in a bad place and my mind didn't need to stay completely clear.

So. I value the De- caf. Other people value caffeinated Lattes because of whatever reason, including they're just not as sensitive to it as I am. I would hardly spare a thought for them, it's their free will; but I'm sure they value their purchases.

I can't see the problem, you seem to be doing the company a service. Perhaps there is the implicit assumption that these companies are STS?