Bring4th

Full Version: Cities Without Light Pollution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How the major cities would look like without Light Pollution

San Francisco:
[Image: blog_thierrycohendarkenedcities012-e1356337272743.jpg]

Hong Kong:
[Image: darkened-cities-thierry-cohen-e1356337293394.jpg]

Rio:
[Image: Rio-de-janeiro-Thierry-Cohen.jpg]

NYC:
[Image: New-York-Thierry-Cohen.jpg]

Paris:
[Image: Paris-Thierry-Cohen.jpg]

Living in NYC I rarely can catch a glimpse of any constellations, If only people knew what they are missing)
I have posted elsewhere (I believe in the Mysterious Nature of Time thread) about having lived in a very rural part of SE Oklahoma, USA.

You're right that people have no idea what they are missing! It is quite spectacular!

Brittany

That one of Florence took my breath away. You can barely see stars at all here, and the night sky is orange instead of black. Constant noise, too. I'd love to live out in the country and actually be able to stargaze without having to make a major drive.
Never seen the sky look like that, even in complete darkness.. And I live in a very small town.
(04-06-2013, 09:12 AM)Aureus Wrote: [ -> ]Never seen the sky look like that, even in complete darkness.. And I live in a very small town.

I agree that the photos don't really look like the night sky in the absence of light pollution. But even in a small town, there is enough light to prevent you from really seeing the night sky in all it's glory. In fact, even one light, like a porch light or yard light, will diminish how much of the heavens you can see at night.

I often wish I could have you guys visit my rural land simply to allow you to look at the sky. It's pretty amazing.
Yeah this looks more like what it would look like if there was a complete lack of light AND air pollution anywhere. The sky did look close to this amazing once when I went camping in eastern Arizona in the mountains where we were many miles from any city and hundreds of miles from a major city.
Even getting to see the night sky once can really change your perspective on the nature of our universe - at least it did for me. I can so easily imagine what it must have been like for people who lived in times before electricity. I can imagine what it might have been like for people living out under the stars, looking up at night and wondering about what was really out there.
Carla's community has a "no street light" ordinance. It's not quite as clear as the fantasy pictures above, but it's still very nice....one of the many pleasures one gets to experience at Homecoming.

Brittany

Eddie, were you there when there were deer running around in Carla's yard at night, and I ran inside screaming because I thought I saw some kind of urban bigfoot? I can't remember if you were there lol.
I can't help but to see these images as post-apocalyptic. Heh, these cities will look like this when everyone is long gone. Tongue
(04-06-2013, 03:42 PM)Brittany Lynn Wrote: [ -> ]Eddie, were you there when there were deer running around in Carla's yard at night, and I ran inside screaming because I thought I saw some kind of urban bigfoot? I can't remember if you were there lol.

I don't remember that. If I was there, I have fogotten the incident.