Bring4th

Full Version: A Question regarding religious originations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I grew up in a Christian cult and just two years ago got away from organized religion. I have learned a ton on my own reading LOO and conversing on this forum and seeking truth.

I wish to learn more about Buddhism and a nichiren Buddhist invited me to a meeting of theirs. I haven't been able to make one yet but in my times talking with him I've learned some wise principles about Buddhism, but after researching thi branch it would seem that they may be another cult of which I should keep my distance of.

I want to learn Buddhist teachings but don't want to accept their dogma. Should I just pass on this opportunity or learn what I can from it while remaining detached? Also, I feel a sense of loneliness on my journey and cults have a nice feel for quenching that. I'm not sure that its cult but is it beneficial to visit organized religions in hopes of learning about it?

If you have experience or insight into this issue it would be much appreciated.
Buddhism is not like Christianity unless you decide to dedicate your life to being a monk... there is doctrine but it's just like any (even LOO). Which sect of Buddhism is it? The only sect that I find that is not dogmatic is Zen Buddhism. I have many friends who train at zen temples (sitting meditations and moving meditations like archery, pottery, and martial arts) and they talk about concepts but it's nothing you need to accept or become initiated in unless you want to be a roshi (monk/priest).

Oh wait, Nichiren... is it called Sokagakkai? Aka Family something institute? If so, keep away! That is a break-off sect of Nichiren (which is an established sect of Buddhism) and they basically are considered a cult by mainstream Japanese Buddhists.
generally i would avoid using people as a source of information on a religion. examine the earliest possible literature or the most commonly agreed upon literature and read enough until you form your own opinions. After this, given your experience with cults, decide whether spirituality really needs a community or whether its ok to just be a personal pursuit. i generally find communities to be a way of enforcing interpretations of material and if you join the wrong one they can be a source of pain.

In my study of Buddhism i mostly explored the theravada branch and its texts, which is a substantial quantity. Always use your own discernment when reading any material claiming to be truth. A good site i made use of in my study was the following.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index.html

In any beginning study of Buddhism i would draw your attention to a text called the Kalama Sutta. I found it very refreshing the first time i read it and it is perhaps one of my favorite in the entire body of text

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/....than.html
Rie, it is sokagakkai. Lol I'm glad to hear it from somebody. It would seem my higher self is teaching me a lesson on dependence and community. He's (my higher self) quite a fun one with his catalysts for me. I will keep my distance and continue forging my path as my higher self leads me.

Funny thing: the one time I met with a guy from there and went out to eat, he ate meat! A Buddhist eating meat??

Spero, I've found that to be true in Christianity. I go to the source and find all the truth and people only distort it. On this forum the LOO gets its share of distortion and I am glad I study it myself and don't rely solely on others to interpret it for me.

It's like processed food. I'd rather grow tomatoes, garlic, and basil to make my own sauce, than buy a msg-corn-syrup-loaded-prego can from Walmart.
lol awesome! They are basically the scientology of buddhism :p
I have yet to see religious orientation have any meaningful impact on your ability to perform any act in creation that you wish, what you place on your religious orientation in term of wishes and desires that you want it to fullfil for you. Such as. "Take away my obligation to think for myself" or "Take away people who dont dress in burkha" then you'll isntantly see a reduction in your ability to act. But if you place no such obligations on your religion or thoughts, you will have, far as I know of, never encounter any problems in relation to religion and its influence on your spiritual path or abilities.

Hope that clarifies.

Edit: holy heck my grammar was atrocious here. I hope it was still in a understandable form. Must try to use less side-sentences and more main sentences. Its getting difficult to understand otherwise.

Meerie

Since you are interested in teachings but not dogma, maybe Krishnamurti would appeal to you..
http://www.jiddu-krishnamurti.net/en/192...hless-land
"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others. "

I like his views because he encourages people to get away from dogma and preconcieved beliefs on how things should be.
Thank you for the link Meerie. It fits wonders into the discussion with a friend about magic.

HE says many forms of magic have convulated paths around the reality of how things are.

And that his form is a straight path.

I say that *points above*.

No path no way to magic, just the honest magic of the human heart seeking with love, and that is the greatest magic.
Krishnamurti usually says to think things through carefully. Where did this belief come about? Why did I come to believe in this? How does this belief serve me? etc. There's a Buddhist saying (which has been rephrased countless times) that goes:

Do not believe in anything because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything because it is spoken by many.
Do not believe in anything because it is written in religious books.
Do not believe in anything on the authority of your teachers.
Do not believe in traditions just because they have been handed down.

But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all,
then accept it and live up to it.

Unbound

That saying was said by the Buddha supposedly, and is one of my favorites.

My friend, if you are interested in Buddhism I recommend a look at the idea of Dzogchen, as well as Nyingmapa, which are related to Tibetan Buddhism which tends to be more about tantric principles and less about renunciation or purification.

Maybe take a browse through the different schools and see what resonates in each and what 'vehicle', or method of practice, interests you. Buddhism has actually more variety than most consider.

I also recommend the books Awakening the Buddha Within by Lamas Surya Das, and The Crystal and the Way of Light by Namkhai Norbu. Blessings!
Some people are able to participate in organized religions without totally accepting all the dogma, but I'd say that's probably very, very rare. Carla does it. She, who channeled the Law of One, attends a Christian church! She has a reverence for Jesus and loves the praise, worship, and community of her church. For her, it works well. This would probably be quite a tall order for most of us, though...especially someone with a history of vulnerability to cults.

When you say you feel a longing for community, are you referring to the social aspects, or do you mean studying spirituality together with others?

If the former, social interactions can be found elsewhere, other than churches. You might find your needs met by joining, say, a health club, martial arts class, book club, or some other such area of interest. One can find just about any sort of local special interest group on meetup.com.

If the latter, then here is a follow-up question: Are you looking for spiritually-oriented people to hang out with, even if their beliefs aren't identical to yours? If so, then you might consider joining a Unity or Unitarian church. Unity churches are Christian but very loose regarding dogma. Unitarian churches embrace different paths and don't really have dogma of their own, as far as I know. (I'm not an expert on either so I could be wrong on this.) As others have stated, with Buddhism, it depends on the variety of Buddhism and the particular group.

In my city, there is a wonderful little New Age church that honors all religions. One week they might have a Christian service (sans the dogma), the next week might be a Buddhist meditation, the following week a Pagan ceremony, after that might be a New Age visualization for world peace, etc. The only complaint I have about the one in my area is that it's a little too loosey-goosey! I no longer attend it because it wasn't deep enough. Still, if you could find something like that, it could be enriching and offer community, without the dogma.

Or, are you looking for a group whose beliefs match yours entirely, and is one that you can adhere to completely? If so, would it be based on the Law of One, or something else? If the Law of One, then Bring4th is probably the closest you'll find. You're right: Everyone here has their own distortion, and even we are not entirely free of dogma! But we try.

If, on the other hand, you feel a pulling towards a local community whose beliefs you can fully embrace, then I would suggest a bit of contemplation to first get clear on what you're looking for. The truth is within you and is only mirrored by others. You don't need an authority to tell you what to do or what to believe. But sometimes it can be a little scary to trust one's own guidance, after coming out of organized religion, because organized religion teaches that we must look to some book or guru as authority. When I first left Catholicism, I then got into born-again Christianity. So basically I just traded one flavor of Christian dogma for another. It took me about 10 years to let go of the religious dogma I'd been brought up with. And that was 10 years after I'd discovered the Law of One!!

Blessings to you on your journey! I hope you find that which you seek.
If you want to go back to the root or core of religion this may be helpful.

The word 'church' actually originates from 'Circe', regardless of what Websters and co explain.

Quote:Circe was renowned for her vast knowledge of drugs and herbs. Through the use of magical potions and a wand she transformed her enemies, or those who offended her, into animals.

Quote:Circe
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)

In Greek legend, a sorceress, the daughter of the sun god Helios and the ocean nymph Perse. By means of drugs and incantations she turned humans into lions, wolves, or swine. Odysseus visited her on his return from the Trojan War, and she changed his companions into swine. Odysseus himself was protected by an herb given him by Hermes, and he compelled the sorceress to restore his companions. He and Circe became lovers, but after a yearlong stay he resumed his journey homeward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circe
Meerie, that article really spoke to me. It put it all in a good perspective for me. I will continue my seeking as a personal journey and help others in seeking their self.

Monica, I think there is a psychonaut meetup by my house I'm gonna check out. I think I desire community and spiritual learning. The community part can be fulfilled by others, by spiritual seeking can be accomplished by my own inner seeking and listening to my higher self.