Bring4th

Full Version: Are forums like this slowly dying?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mostly use Inet forums for technical issues; the Gentoo forums as a current example are an essential component of an active technical community, and this post doesn't apply to them.

However, from time to time I poke my nose into other, mostly community and special-interest forums like this, just to see what's being discussed, to insert my own opinions and ideas if I'm sufficiently interested, and to engage in a bit of debate that often creates some controversy, annoys others, sometimes annoys me, but usually results in an interesting, perhaps humorous exchange. Lately I've noticed that these venues seem to be far less diverse and popular than previously. Most are now dominated by a clique of regular antagonists whose main occupation seems to be slinging off at each other, and at any visitor whose ideas diverge from the "forum norms". The whole scene is now very reminiscent of what happened first with CB Radio (for those old enough to remember what that was, and maybe still is), then with IRC and the like (Internet Relay Chat for the puzzled), and now with Inet forums.

It would be a pity if all that remained was Facebook and Twitter, though I've no doubt that the owners of those sites, and the many Government and corporate authorities who now use them as public confessionals (urinals?) for their "data mining" and social monitoring activities, would be delighted for them to remain solo and supreme.

The quality of political and social debate throughout the world is in terminal decline. Blatant deception, lies, coverups and self-promotion are now so accepted by the viewing public, the mass media, the "critics" and recognized commentators as to make all of it a sewer of strident, vulgar verbiage. The alternative media has adopted the role of morally righteous castigator, and is equally tedious and repugnant; and the "discussion panels" on TV are so predictable and politically correct as would be an insult to public intelligence were there any such thing.

I therefore ask of the participants here, and of whatever moderators, overseers or owners may read this, whether it is time to review and perhaps re-enliven the format of this and similar forums. I'm about to press the <Delete> key on a list of them. Disappointingly short as it is, the few on it are the only social connections I've made on the Inet. They have thoroughly disabused me of the present social worth of "Internet politics" and "Internet community action", though I was once an optimistic proponent of such things ("GetUp!" in Australia being a typical example of a crude political deception), and with other activities now requiring more of my time, I've decided to abandon them if no prospect of novelty draws be back. A pity, but one amongst many others.
This mode of conversing (forums) is indeed not in alignment or scope compared to such social sites as you named above. Interaction on a forum like this is more like a long distance game of chess, requiring that one invest thought, time and patience, which is not something that comes readily to today's mainstream populaces desire for effortless, fast, and easy.

Perhaps the means of conversing may be replaced, though the content will continue whilst there are those seeking and those that desire to be of service.

Follow your desires... that is where you are supposed to travel.
It's pretty obvious that the answer is no. Info and discussion will be centered on the mist popular valuing meme. The meme from which most here draw their notions is also gaining in popularity, it's just a relatively smaller portion of those who use the internet.
(04-14-2013, 01:38 AM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]Interaction on a forum like this is more like a long distance game of chess, requiring that one invest thought, time and patience, which is not something that comes readily to today's mainstream populaces desire for effortless, fast, and easy.

This forum is better than most as regards the criticisms I raised, but I thought I'd repeat the post for consistency. Others have suggested that forums are preferred by older folk, and in spite of its being Politically Incorrect, I'd say it's true.

I believe that an improvement could be made by introducing "heavily moderated" topics - basically, having contributors with firm opinions presenting and summarizing selected topics from a defined personal perspective. This goes against the PC demand that everything should be "balanced", but after a decade or two of this, all we get are flurries of conflicting opinions and no conclusion, much less action. Just what the Authorities want, I should think.

This sort of thing worked quite well on About.com, but the topics were factual and uncontroversial.