Bring4th

Full Version: Fasting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please share your experience around fasting!

What process/protocol do you follow?
How does fasting work?
What are the steps involved (e.g., how decisions are made to engage in fasting, what activities engaged in during fasting, etc.)?
What is your fasting experience like?

Ra Wrote:41.21 Questioner: You mentioned in the last session that fasting was a method of removing unwanted thought-forms. Can you expand on this process and explain a little more about how this works?
Ra: I am Ra. This, as all healing techniques, must be used by a conscious being; that is, a being conscious that the ridding of excess and unwanted material from the body complex is the analogy to the ridding of mind or spirit of excess or unwanted material. Thus the one discipline or denial of the unwanted portion as an appropriate part of the self is taken through the tree of mind down through the trunk to subconscious levels where the connection is made and thus the body, mind, and spirit, then in unison, express denial of the excess or unwanted spiritual or mental material as part of the entity.

All then falls away and the entity, while understanding, if you will, and appreciating the nature of the rejected material as part of the greater self, nevertheless, through the action of the will purifies and refines the mind/body/spirit complex, bringing into manifestation the desired mind complex or spirit complex attitude.

41.22 Questioner: Then would this be like a conscious reprogramming of catalyst? For instance, the… for some entities catalyst is programmed by the higher self to create experiences so that the entity can release itself from unwanted biases. Would this be analogous then to the entity consciously programming this release and using fasting as the method of communication to itself?
Ra: I am Ra. This is not only correct but may be taken further. The self, if conscious to a great enough extent of the workings of this catalyst and the techniques of programming, may through concentration of the will and the faculty of faith alone cause reprogramming without the analogy of the fasting, the diet, or other analogous body complex disciplines.

Thank you!
(04-23-2013, 02:42 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Please share your experience around fasting!

What process/protocol do you follow?
How does fasting work?
What are the steps involved (e.g., how decisions are made to engage in fasting, what activities engaged in during fasting, etc.)?
What is your fasting experience like?

good morning rie!

it just so happens that I finished a 5 day fast about a week or so ago.

the impulse to fast this last time (as well as the previous back in Dec last year) was a spontaneous one, and not done for any perceivable conscious reasons. It just felt like what I needed to do; like the sort of urge you have for a hamburger or a milkshake; its the body (or self) signalling that something will be beneficial or *fun* lol to do.

so I started a fast.

it was a pure fast. Just water based only. No juices or nutrients of any sort. Although I still took a multivitamin the first couple of days out of habit.

there seems to be a recommendation that one should fast during warmer periods of the year; so as to minimise the energy loss through keeping the body warm. And the same reasoning recommends that one maybe should not be strenuously working during the fasting period.

as for effects, I suffered the common ones:

*day 3: mild light headedness, lasted for about two or three hours. That seems to be the ketosis (switching to protein or body reserves burning)

*day 5: lower back ache most of the day, not excessive, but when I looked it up online it said it is toxins in lower intestine being released or something like that.

I did make it into day 6, but I felt that was long enough. Concentration and ability to focus remained strong throughout (I was working during the five days), and sleep was unimpaired. Good dreams actually.

a little loss in strength in legs (quad muscles), but I'm a vigorous walker, so I notice whenever I'm not at full power there.

as for perceived 'spiritual awareness', I cannot really speak to that Smile After I came out of the last fast last year I felt that I had a stronger connection or link to my buddhic body. I got a subtle sense of that this time around too, but not nearly as strong or intense.

I still don't fully comprehend the *why* of why I did it; but I implicitly trust the subconscious and welcome any change in direction it offers for new experience. So I just *did it* I guess.

I enjoyed both recent experiences; I have a sense that I could probably do a 7 or 10 day fast next time; now that I have experienced the process fully a couple of times. And somehow the 'fear' that I will 'die' from not eating for a few days has entirely dissipated. I mean, truly, how much of our eating patterns are governed by routine and when we get a 'lunch break' in which we 'have' to eat?

all up, its given me a greater confidence in my body to be self sufficent; at least for short periods of times.

as for flushing out of negative or destructive thought forms as mentioned by Ra - don't know much about that.

peace out.

plenum
Awesome, Plenum, thank you. Pretty remarkable you live on water... When you started fasting (first time) did you also consume just water? When you come out of the fast how do you get back on the eating routine?

I do mine 1-3 times a week (every other day) but consuming smoothies or light food. Once the ketosis goes there ample energy. lol I can see you power walking down the street haha.

Thank you so much for your response!
I've done a couple day fasts. I just decided what I wanted to get out of it, put it into a concise 'letter of intent', and then lived off of water and green tea. Which is sorta cheating but I like green tea and it has practically 0 calories so I don't think it matters.

It also had interesting body sensations associated with it. I stopped doing it though, for no reason in particular.
ive been doing 1 and 2 day withdrawals from solid food. taking juices and smoothies. what i have noticed is it helps me to see the value of eating beneficial foods. after a fast i dont really want to start eating white flour . not that it doesnt taste good it just seems like it has no nutrition. i bought this book here its quite good lots of info

juice fasting and detox

http://www.amazon.com/Juice-Fasting-Deto...meyerowitz

i also believe fasting helps us to break free of the matrix. fast from food fast from the media also . the media provides us with plenty of junk food i believe which really doesnt make us happy. i think that fasting and reading books u find spiritual could be very beneficial for the soul. when i get vacation i plan on doing a 4 day fast i want to break the 3 day barrier. well see
I just broke my fasting this morning- full day of just water. It's very nice - felt clear minded and calm while dealing with some major issues. Yeah exactly - nutritionally poor foods don't seem so desirable. Have some 3-ingredient smoothie/juice recipes that I will post here soon.
My experience is relayed here in this related thread.
what im finding too with the fasting is that my whole attitude towards food is changing. how about eating just one meal a day. or say one primary meal and then the other meal would be something light like a grapefruit. and right now since i have been fasting i have been craving grapefruit ha ha. im dreaming about grapefruit ha ha. i should look that up in a dream symbols book ha ha . so fasting also pushes me to make sure that the food that i do consume is high quality. i wouldnt want to fast and break the fast with a big mac and fries and a coke ha ha. that aint happening. so fasting is causing me to become much more conscious of what i eat when i do choose to eat. this is also correlated to the vibes coming in here now we are being elevated in my opinion and assisted in raising our vibe.

norral Heart
http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/produc...u-870.aspx

this is a formula especially designed to support the body during fasting. if u have high blood pressure be careful it contains licorice root which can raise the blood pressure. u can buy the herbs individually u dont need to buy the formula but its nice to see the ingredients.

norral

if u were to buy licorice herb u can buy the Deglycyrrhizinated version which does not raise blood pressure. i believe licorice supports the adrenals as i notice i definitely get fatigued during a fast

update 5/15/2013
after researching licorice herb i wouldnt use it. there are too many side effects with that herb to say use it . it effects a lot of things and interacts with medications . u would have to have a very skilled herbalist with a huge medical background to tell u it was ok. i dont have that much knowledge.
so far the longest fast i have gotten to is close to 2 days not quite. for me the best time to start a fast is right after lunch so lets say start a fast around 1 pm. that seems to work for me. also another aspect of fasting is using fasting for social change. gandhi did it , chavez did it , and i believe king did it. i just did a fast for social change and i am starting another. one thing once i have fasted for close to 2 days it then becomes obvious that i can fast for 36 hours any time i want to. and once i get to 3 days then it will be obvious that i can do a 2 day fast any time i want to. the truth is is that the body doesnt need all that much food , what it really needs is high quality food over high quantity food

norral Heart
Norral could you talk more about fasting for social change? What does that entail etc. Thanks!
(05-18-2013, 01:38 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Norral could you talk more about fasting for social change? What does that entail etc. Thanks!

Gandhi!!
hi rie
heres a link to a fellows blog where he describes his participation in a fast for social justice.

http://changefromwithin.org/2011/04/22/f...l-justice/

historically fasting has been used by all social movements. gandhi when he was resisting the british would fast all the time. cesar chavez, who helped to unionize farm workers, used to fast. i believe dr king used fasting in his work for civil rights for african americans. bobby sands , who was part of the irish republican army, actually died from fasting in a british jail. here is a link about that. he had fasted for 66 days unbelievably .
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Bobby_Sands?o=2800&qsrc=999
so fasting has been a tool for social justice and change for a long time and will continue to be so.
this fast i just did i dedicated to the long term unemployed. those who have been unemployed for over a year. i ask the creator that any virtue i might accumulate should be given to the cause of the long term unemployed. and that is what i am going to be doing in the forseeable future with my fast dedicating them to the cause of the long term unemployed.
i like it because its is not confrontational, there is nothing that anyone can really do to stop it, i mean bobby sands was in jail and fasted for 66 days and they couldnt stop it, so i consider it effective. i am in the process of looking here for groups around nyc who are fasting right now for different social causes as i will join in if i like their cause

norral Heart
what i am finding is that fasting is making me question everything about eating. how often do we really need to eat. can we survive and prosper on one meal a day. at least sometimes i believe we can. and if i am going to eat less each day i really want to make sure the food i am eating is nutritious. white bread is NOT what i want to put into my body if i am not eating that often. those are garbage calories that do the body no good. i would want to eat something nutritious and fresh and organic. because then u will be spending a lot less money on food. i think it all ties together. how about fasting from the media . do we need the crap that the media feeds us which is a picture of u are helpless u need an expert who will charge u 2000 per treatment for chemo. what a load of absolute crap to be honest. and if chemo destroys the body HOW can it be good for u. we really do live in the matrix ha ha but i have disconnected myself .

norral Heart
Have similar experience re: questioning... am becoming more mindful about eating to nourish body rather than taking things for granted and mindlessly eating to satisfy hunger.

Western medicine treats one thing, while the treatment compromises other parts of body in my biased opinion. Even knowing the risks and alternatives people make choice to use this type of treatment. Was telling someone a story about this psychologist who had an intuitive sense that something was going on with his body (he experienced certain symptoms and having this nagging feeling). His doctor couldn't find anything, but this guy persisted, telling doc, there IS something going on here. They did more tests and found a late-stage cancer, terminal. The chances of successful treatment was low but this man had a feeling things would work out. Knowing chemo and radiation were harmful he used this form of treatment bc he believed it would help him. He listened to his 'heart' which instructed him on dosage of chemo and radiation. Luckily his doc was very open to feedback (kind of rare haha) and followed the guy's suggestions. His tumor went into remission and he lived to help people to see another type of intelligence - one that goes beyond the limited brain. The psychologist realized that we do indeed have internal knowingness of what is good for us, that others, such as doctors, may not be in touch with. He also was well-read on cancer treatments and such so he had good knowledge base about treatment and how it worked.

So I guess it's about listening to one self bc each person 'knows' what is best for their own health
(05-24-2013, 03:39 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]So I guess it's about listening to one self bc each person 'knows' what is best for their own health

That's not the philosophy of most healthcare systems. Apparently this is forced to be a political issue.
Depends. Expert based professions like medicine or mental health or alternative health tend to vary according to individual belief systems as well (the belief system of the practitioner). Some doctors are more apt to listen to their patients but it's widely not the case. Because they take expert approaches they would believe they have superior knowledge, yet they do know a lot about the body in some sense. I think in Dr. Pearcall's case, he was very lucky to work with a physician who listened to his internal knowing w/o completely dismissing it. Finding the best-fit treatment and way of life is what is important, and that decision may come from a place of one's deeper wisdom.

This is all about personal choice. If I go into chemo and I don't like it, I could utilize another form of treatment that is more in alignment w/ my beliefs and such perhaps.

Dr. Paul Pearsall's The Heart's Code: Tapping the Wisdom and Power of Our Heart Energy is a good read.
(05-24-2013, 03:56 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]If I go into chemo and I don't like it, I could utilize another form of treatment that is more in alignment w/ my beliefs and such perhaps.

Likely not in the case if said preferred treatments are either barred by the government or forced to be horrendously expensive by regulatory capture.

And most people around the world don't get to choose their doctors because of forced shortages, inflated wages and regulatory captures put in place in academia and the medical industry under the guise of somehow making it better. Innovation and independent medicine is heavily restricted. It has been in the States ever since Rockefeller had his say.

/Butthurt libertarian
ultimately it is our body. i feel the consciousness of most health care professionals is to follow commonly accepted protocols. they dont want to know about anything outside of that paradigm because they view it as a threat to their livelyhood . i am going to make the decisions about my body and if the doctor doesnt like it i will find another doctor. i am not someones profit object i am a divine soul , which i know but unfortunately most of them dont ha ha. and if i go down doing it my way i will have had the satisfaction of doing what my heart told me to do. none of us is going to live forever and if if it is my time to exit it will be on my terms not theirs. and i can be difficult but i dont care. i am not a sheep who mindlessly follows others . so far im still here and still functioning ha ha and still able to do what i want to do and feeling pretty good so i must be doing at least something right. i have lost my fear and my need for external approval. and that can be a definite problem for a lot of people ha ha but it makes me happy BigSmile

norral Heart
yeah hallmark of getting older - care less what others think and more of how to fully live one's life Wink
I have done a one day fast on water, but it was pretty random .p so I lack the details as if I did indeed notice something different. But I came upon the following text in the transcripts which could be possible of interest to any who may find this thread. Thanks for all the interesting read! And for the opportunity to share *waves at rie* .)

L/L Research Transcripts - August 10, 1980
Quote:Questioner: Ah, yes. I have done some (inaudible) fasting and it does … I have achieved, a better state of being but in regards to—if the diet is changed in such a way that foods are taken in in a balanced amount … this question is on my mind [because] my wife received a book which stresses either eating habits as a way of preventing disease, curing ailments, and achieving a better balance within the body, therefore achieving a better state of mind. That is the premise behind the book. Would a diet that is fully balanced help you achieve a state similar to that achieved by fasting and taking the impurities out of the body that way?

I am Latwii. My brother, the effect of fasting is a loosening of the cord that ties the consciousness to the body. Thus, no matter how balanced the diet, the cord would remain tight as long as you are eating. The followers of ecstasy, such as Sufis and saints, have often used fasting as a means of loosening their consciousness from their body, that they may see visions and seek the Creator within. This, however, has little to do with a balanced diet.

It is healthy, for the body’s sake, shall we say, speaking only on the physical plane, to fast if one finds oneself having bad reactions to seemingly something one has eaten. Then one may perhaps isolate the difficulty and remove it from one’s diet.

As to a balanced diet, you must understand, my brother, that this is what we were cautioning you against, those who believe in one way for all peoples. If you will close your eyes and truly picture that you feel will make you healthy, then continue and eat that which you see, your body will inform you of that which it needs. There are foods, certainly, which are unhealthy to all peoples, but there are many, many foods to choose from, and in some cases foods, which may be harmful to one, would be greatly helpful to another.

Thus, you cannot learn your diet from a book, but from experiencing your feelings as you eat and as you live. Attempt, indeed, the advice given in a book, take what seems to work for you, and then go onward. We ask only that you do not become bogged down in the deep details of this and that and the other thing, for you will find that for every this, that and the other thing in one way of thinking, there will be a diametrically opposed this, that and yet another thing in another book that sounds equally plausible. Therefore, if you truly attempt to remain healthy on the physical plane by reading books, you will find that you might as well have eaten the paper.

We do not usually become involved in discussions of this sort because it is indeed physical plane activity and we do not achieve an enormous amount of joy therefrom.
I love Latwii - one way for all people doesn't work. It's a very personal type of seeking.

Thank you Lycen *waves back*!
(07-24-2013, 10:25 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]I love Latwii - one way for all people doesn't work. It's a very personal type of seeking.

Thank you Lycen *waves back*!

Hehe yes, it is a nice balance with Hatonn, Laitos, Oxal? (mainly) and then comes Latwii the playful one ,D All is interesting to read, but the subtle and not so much, traits of each give as a whole a nice coloring together me thinks!

Strikes the cord of truth in me as well, each of our needs are different, and even then they change. Acting on what one thinks/feels right is the pointer to what is right for the one perceiving it, may not be so for others at that time or at all. Life's pretty funny .p

Pleasure Smile
>>DOUBLE POST<<

Dunno what happened for sure, except an error, checked if the post went true in a separate window, it did not. Then posted again and then 2 popped up.
Here a complimentary funny:
[Image: UJsz43o.jpg]