Bring4th

Full Version: Love's in all the brain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Meerie

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2...053105.php

Surprise discovery: romance is on the right, 'attractiveness' to the left

Another important discovery, Brown said, was that "to our surprise, the activation regions associated with intense romantic love were mostly on the right side of the brain, while the activation regions associated with facial attractiveness were mostly on the left.

"We didn't predict such a striking lateralization," Brown reported. "It is well known that speech is largely a left-sided cortical function. But our data indicate that lateralization also occurs in lower parts of the brain. Moreover, different kinds of rewards (in this case, the "rush" of romantic love, compared with the pleasing experience of looking at a pretty or handsome face) is also lateralized. These results give us a lot to think about how the normal human brain learns and remembers and functions in general," Brown added.

also interesting in regards to autism:

"Our data even may be relevant to some forms of autism," Brown added. "Some people with autism don't understand or experience any sort of emotional attachment or romantic love. I would speculate that autism involves an atypical development of the midbrain and basal ganglia reward systems. This makes sense, too, because other symptoms of autism include repetitive thoughts and movements, characteristics of basal ganglia function. "

I think it is interesting, especially since I tended to view love as a right brain thing but wondered where that came from...
My love is all over my entire self; metaphysical and physical....
Love is all in the illusion, just like the brain.