Bring4th

Full Version: The emotional intelligence polarity test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've been in a leadership challenge this week, and I've seen plenty of things that contradicted my understanding of STO. Some of it was great, wherein I'm learning how being a leader can be done for an STO reason, and how to do so.

Today though, we got back our results from an emotional intelligence quiz. It was a little frightening to hear some of the results in the room. There were several that scored extremely high in assertiveness, and self-regard, and those same people scored lowest in empathy and impulse control. The frightening aspect was that such things were put on the table, as measurable as it was.

Those that scored low in empathy were at first proud of it; however, the entire class was about learning the benefit of being balanced in all aspects in order to be a good leader.

It made me question a few things, such as whether or not we already have the tools available to measure polarity. This is especially true if you continue reading through the subclassifications of emotional intelligence, because some correspond two or more per chakra up through blue-ray.

Obviously, if anyone knows me from talking to me, I was heavy in the higher chakras.

Despite that it can serve as a relative polarity test to some that are desperate to know, I'd beg any of you reading this that you not look at it that way. If you look into it and buy a test, it's there to learn emotional balancing.

The instructors and I had a HUGE argument over the use of the word "control," but they agreed that the purpose was not to "manage" the emotions, but to "lead" the emotions, just that they were only beginning to understand the differences in the usage of those two terms.

Also, I'm purposely not putting the name of the company or the website, because this wasn't supposed to be a "sales-pitch."
One more. Here is a video about CHOICE. The video is about choosing how to think.

http://vimeo.com/theglossary/thisiswater
I watched that choice video that someone else had shared on facebook. It's also on YouTube. A pretty good speech.
There is a cultural component to this - e.g., more egocentric (individualistic) societies tend to value assertiveness and self-regard, while sociocentric (collectivistic) societies tend to value empathy and being able to withhold own needs for the benefit of others (not really impulse control). The value system imbedded in our lives do emphasize such tendencies or ideals, so I guess they could be proud bc within their social context those were desirable characteristics.

What were the subcategories and which corresponded to what chakra? I guess too, from a developmental perspective, having empathy and forgoing own desires/needs is considered a higher level 'skill'. This is the development from being a child who only sees own needs to adulthood, where one must consider the needs of others. I also believe this development is associated with the symbolisms of the energy centers.
(05-10-2013, 02:14 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]There is a cultural component to this - e.g., more egocentric (individualistic) societies tend to value assertiveness and self-regard, while sociocentric (collectivistic) societies tend to value empathy and being able to withhold own needs for the benefit of others (not really impulse control). The value system imbedded in our lives do emphasize such tendencies or ideals, so I guess they could be proud bc within their social context those were desirable characteristics.

What were the subcategories and which corresponded to what chakra? I guess too, from a developmental perspective, having empathy and forgoing own desires/needs is considered a higher level 'skill'. This is the development from being a child who only sees own needs to adulthood, where one must consider the needs of others. I also believe this development is associated with the symbolisms of the energy centers.

Yes and both types of society offer the potential of polarization in both directions. This would also seem to be the reason for these groups being divided in both hemispheres, the west tending towards the egocentric, the east more towards sociocentric. I doubt that you can say that one is of a 'higher level' regarding skills. The sociocentic can lead to a hive mentality when one places the needs/desires of the community above personal choice. Countries seem to be of intelligent design, perhaps in order to maintain the field of tension within the sphere.
That was in reference to psychological developmental levels, not social orientations. Going from egocentric to other-oriented is a natural part of human development. This is the difference between a younger child taking care of others and a mother taking care of her baby. The level at which a person may recognize the needs of others is different. For some, this ability to recognize others' needs is not fully developed for some reason.