Bring4th

Full Version: Eating colors for health
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
fruit colors and their meaning

[Image: 11738_375544525887558_233156541_n.jpg]

take care
Hi, Bosphorus and all.

Hey hey!!! Those colors DO quite agree with what I have been reading all these years !!

We grow some of them in our back yard !!
To eat them, still warm because of the sun, has no price !!

Blues skies.
Several things I notice about this:

1. The colors correspond to the chakras. The purple could be further delineated to indigo and violet. Even foods commonly thought of as 'black' like blackberries and eggplant, are really dark purple.

2. There are no blue foods that I can think of, except blueberries, and they are purple on the inside. There are some blue edible flowers, but most people don't even know they're edible. Can anyone think of some blue foods? (Artificially colored kool-aid doesn't count!) In any case, there are far more foods in the other colors, whereas blue is lacking. Why is that?

3. Animal milk, including human milk, is white. This food is intended for babies. Interesting that babies would consume only white, which contains all the colors.

4. Anti-aging/anti-cancer antioxidants are found in colorful fruits and veggies. The more color pigment there is, the more antioxidant it has (ie. the healthier it is).

5. There are no antioxidants in meat. The meat industry wishes there was, but there isn't. They have to add plant foods to the dead animal parts, to get a little color going, and in order to be able to claim that meat contains antioxidants. What they're adding is synthetic antioxidants. In fact, they have to add plant antioxidants in order to counteract the oxidizing effect of meat.
Quote:0.25% Red or white peony, sappanwood, Moutan peony, and rosemary
extracts counteracted the pro-oxidative effect of 2% NaCl
• Peony and sappanwood extracts also moderated red color loss (P<0.05) in
salted and unsalted raw patties
I could be wrong, but so far, every time I did a search for 'antioxidants meat' all the search results were about adding plants to meat, to decrease oxidation.
Quote:Both in meat and especially in fish there is a high risk of quality loss due to oxidation [1, 2]. Lipid oxidation in meat and fish-products leads to rancid taste and off flavor and development of many different substances from which some have even adverse effects to human health e.g. [3]. Oxidation limits storage time and thereby also affects marketing and distribution of both fish and meat products. Especially fish, being rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) is susceptible to peroxidation of PUFA resulting in restriction of storage and processing possibilities [4]. Furthermore, peroxidative products, particularly aldehydes, can react with specific amino acids to form carbonyls [5] and protein aggregates [6], causing additional nutritional losses. In red meat and also in red fish like salmon oxidation will not only deteriorate the lipids, but also the color [7, 8] and thereby affect visual consumer acceptability.

The addition of antioxidants is therefore necessary to increase storage stability, sensory quality and nutritional value of animal products [9, 10]. Due to the positive health effects of long chain n-3 PUFA, there is an increased interest to produce fish and meat products rich in n-3 PUFA [11]. Increasing the amount of easily oxidized PUFA in animal products however will also require a higher content of antioxidants in the end-product to protect the nutritional valuable fatty acids (FA). The importance of a well-balanced combination of PUFA and antioxidants, both for product stability and human nutrition, was also emphasized by [12]. Beside the traditionally used antioxidants in meat and fish also a wide variation of herbs, spices and fruits are used more and more as additives with antioxidative capacity
I didn't find anything about antioxidants naturally occurring in meat. Being that antioxidant-rich foods are associated with less cancer risk, slower aging, and overall health, I find this quite interesting.
Quite interesting concept. I believe there are some interchangability with their functions, though. Even by looking at the examples for tomatoes being both orange and red depending on how you see them.

I would like more examples if possible?
Interesting would be to compare these ideas to what has been found by others both in and outside of scientific community for reference.

Also, babies mainly eat milk to strengthen their immune-system and for survival (simplified rapid growth/early care), which can be seen as described in hypothesis.
What about black food?
(05-22-2013, 10:06 AM)Not Sure Wrote: [ -> ]What about black food?

I can't think of any food that is truly black, except charred, burnt foods, which are oxidizing and carcinogenic. Even foods thought of as black, such as blackberries, aren't really black, but just dark purple.

But truly black? Here's the scoop on burnt foods:

Study shows charred meat increases cancer risk

Quote:People who regularly eat burned or charred red meat, have a 60 percent higher risk of pancreatic cancer, according data presented at the American Association for Cancer Research 100th Annual Meeting 2009. University of Minnesota researchers said well done and very well done meats cooked by frying, grilling, or barbecuing can form carcinogens...burning or charring meats can transform amino acids and other natural substances in foods into carcinogens called heterocyclic amines (HCAs), which have been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals.

Do charred vegetables contain the same carcinogens as burnt meat?

Quote:No, but that doesn’t mean you should grill that capsicum with pyrotechnic abandon. It’s true that charring red meat can create heterocyclic amines (HCAs) – chemicals linked to an increased risk of a range of cancers. But HCAs are the result of a specific mix of amino acids and creatine – a combination you won’t find in any vegetables, says Karen Collins, MS, RD, a nutrition expert for the American Institute for Cancer Research. “However, burning vegetables can also form carcinogens like benzopyrene, which is found in larger amounts in cigarette smoke.”

Still, putting asparagus, squash, onions and other vegetables on the grill is a healthy option. To avoid incinerating your produce, always grill your vegetables over indirect heat – simply place them near the edges of the barbecue grill.
I like the taste of burnt cheese.
(05-22-2013, 03:25 PM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-22-2013, 10:06 AM)Not Sure Wrote: [ -> ]What about black food?

I can't think of any food that is truly black, except charred, burnt foods, which are oxidizing and carcinogenic.

https://www.google.fi/search?q=black+foo...sgaJ4YGABw

Luls at No black food.

And in all seriousness and experience. I recommend saying black food is emptyifying, giving of the moment, making you ponder (caviar and rich peoples berries)