Bring4th

Full Version: Tattoos/Piercings/Body Mods - are ok to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this may sound like a prudish question ... but do you think tattoos/piercings/ and other kinds of body mods are in any way disrepecting the body?

I tend to go with the feeling that it's your body, and its your fashion sense ... and it should be cool, even though I haven't done any of these things myself.

- -

related question: something like circumcision seems like to be forced on a baby (well, it is lol). That seems quite invasive, and the kid has no say on that type of 'modification'. For the record, I am 'uncut'; as it is not a very popular 'procedure' in Australia, and has been declining in rates for decades.
I think tattoos can be quite beautiful . . . but some can be just horrendous Tongue

I think that tattoos can serve as powerful focuses for intention. Think of all the thought that goes into them (well . . . sometimes Tongue )or how much thought is directed at them over the person's life.

As for circumcision, while male circumcision isn't as heinous as female circumcision, I don't think it's in anyway useful. Foreskin is important for keeping the glans hydrated and sensitive BigSmile
Quote:Ra: I am Ra. There are no mistakes under the Law of One.

As for polarization, it depends on how you do it whether it be out of love for all or love for the self.
As Adonai said, you may want to look over the reason you feel you must modify the body.

Personally, I don't think motivations such as "my ears are too whole" or "my skin needs more ink scarred into it" are valid reasons. Surely it's impractical, and why did we invent paper if anything vaguely inspirational should be scribbled onto the skin? These things are surface-level and has to do with a need to display the self in a certain manner.

Unbound

I know multiple people who use tattoos and piercings to chronicle their journey through incarnation or to connect to deities/divinities.

Brittany

I don't get tattoos unless the picture has very special significance to me. As Et said, each one of mine marks a period in my life I felt the desire to memorialize through some sort of symbol. I'm so picky with what I will allow to be tattooed onto me that it's taken me years to decide what my latest tattoo will look like. At last I think I know.

I consider my body my temple and do my best to respect it. I consider my tattoos temple decorations, which make it even more beautiful. When I do get ink done, I have only one place I will go because I want to make sure it is done right and proper and is worth keeping around for the rest of my life.
(06-07-2013, 10:21 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]this may sound like a prudish question ... but do you think tattoos/piercings/ and other kinds of body mods are in any way disrepecting the body?

Body modifications range from socially acceptable and benign (pierced ears) to extreme body mutilations. It seems to me that the motivation has a lot to do with it. I never thought twice about getting my ears pierced when I was 13; though the 2nd set of piercings was really cool since I was one of the first in my school to do that. (That seems so silly...now there are so many people with many many holes in their ears, and elsewhere as well!)

If it's done to beautify the body, as Brittany described, then I don't see how that could be disrespectful, provided it's something that doesn't affect one's health (like toxic dyes, etc.).

But, extreme body mutilations seem really creepy to me. I can't help but think the people have some serious emotional scarring that drives them to do that. (NOT referring to those whose cultures consider it normal.)

(06-07-2013, 10:21 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]related question: something like circumcision seems like to be forced on a baby (well, it is lol). That seems quite invasive, and the kid has no say on that type of 'modification'. For the record, I am 'uncut'; as it is not a very popular 'procedure' in Australia, and has been declining in rates for decades.

It's an obvious violation of free will, to impose such a mutilation on a baby who cannot make the choice himself. I'm not sure if that has changed recently, but when I researched this topic 25 years ago, the procedure was routinely done without any anesthesia. How horrible is that?? The rationale is that "he won't remember it anyway."

With modern hygiene, there is simply no reason for it. What's really mind-blowing is the reasons people give for mutilating their son's genitals:

I want him to look like his daddy
Jesus was circumcised
It's tradition
Our religion requires it

Another practice I'd like to see disappear is the docking of dogs' tails. They are routinely cut, with no anesthesia, for no good reason at all.
(06-07-2013, 10:21 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]this may sound like a prudish question ... but do you think tattoos/piercings/ and other kinds of body mods are in any way disrepecting the body?

I tend to go with the feeling that it's your body, and its your fashion sense ... and it should be cool, even though I haven't done any of these things myself.

- -

related question: something like circumcision seems like to be forced on a baby (well, it is lol). That seems quite invasive, and the kid has no say on that type of 'modification'. For the record, I am 'uncut'; as it is not a very popular 'procedure' in Australia, and has been declining in rates for decades.

Tattoos/Piercings/Body Mods will give you the opportunity to experience minor/major catalyst. It will likely be very easy to choose love throughout any catalyst you experience arising from this decision.
It's a non-issue. All is okay.
Getting a tattoo is a safe procedure. Just make sure you get it done in a reputable ink shop (google research for reviews, and make sure you connect with the artist before hand) if you have any concerns that they are breaking laws and re-using needles (which I've only heard of occurring in prison).

Just make sure that you ask what compounds they use if you are vegitarian/vegan, because for example black ink varies from charred animal bone, to logwood, to crushed wooden charcoal.

Just be smart and do you research, and a quality tattoo in no way harms your body.
Here's some old tattoos:

http://www.archaeologiemuseum.it/en/node/262

"Otzi the Iceman," as the preserved corpse of a man who lived around 3350 and 3100 BCE, has a whole bunch of tattoos and what's interesting is they seem to line up with acupuncture lines.
Your body, your business
I see people with 'tribal' tattoos (which is a word that comes from polynesian tatau) and that does irk me somewhat. Some surfer dude saying, 'this pattern is so rad, dude' and wearing it like fashion... yet beneath the 'cool'ness there are ancient traditions attached to some tattoos. E.g., in Hawaii you had to earn your right to have a tattoo that represented you, your family, your life's work. There was a process whereby certain 'rites' were done to get the tattoo. My relative is a traditional tattoo expert (using bamboo - painful method) and he told me you have to know your genealogy and your aumakua (your ancestral protector) - it's kind of a whole journey one must embark to get to know these things. So when I see people showing off their polynesian tattoo I wonder if they even bothered doing research. Of course, they are free to do as they like but they are putting something on themselves, something that they don't appreciate on the symbolic level.

This is him BigSmile http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu...oo-Artist/

Unbound

I totally would love a tattoo from that guy!