Bring4th

Full Version: powerful story of redemption
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i was watching espn and they had a story about dwayne wade and his mom. dwayne wade , for those who dont know, is a major major basketball player who has 2 nba titles and is trying for his third right now.
his mom was a drug addict. and i do mean a drug addict. a down and dirty addict addicted to heroin and cocaine. and one thing i know about addicts is they will do anything for their drug, whatever that may be. anything , all morality goes right out the window. anyway his sister took him one day when he was about 9 i think and brought him to his dads house and left him there. so his dad raised him and his mom didnt have him anymore. which caused his mom to sink deeper into addiction. basically she went as low as u can go which for a drug addict is pretty low. one day she went into a church and what the minister was saying struck her , it penetrated, she was ready to change. she quit cold turkey and since that day has been drug free. however she had jail time she was facing and so she had to leave after a few months and complete her sentence. which u can imagine how that must have affected her son who has just briefly got his mom back only to lose her again. anyway she did her time which was about a year . she started a ministry in jail and when she got out her son was ready to go to the nba. he gave her 2 million dollars to start her own church where she is pastoring now and she has been clean every since. i saw the two of them together on espn and its obvious the love between them. there are all kinds of themes here in this story. i have no judgement in my soul about her addiction or any of it actually. i just thought it was a powerful tale of redemption and of the human spirit and its ability to rise from the depths and to overcome. so i thought it would be nice to share it

norral Heart
Thanks for the post Norral, it's always good to see the will to love in action.

You know that saying, "If you could walk a mile in someone's shoes..."?
I think for someone addicted to heroin it would only take us about six steps before the anger and blame we may have held against them dissolved.
Hitting "rock bottom" is one of the greatest catalysts. And it is a quite an experience.

The recovered meth addicts (5+ years sober) I've worked with have an unshakable sense that there is meaning to the universe, and that all things occur for a reason. They don't have just have mere knowledge of that truth, they have actual experience of that truth.
i like the fact that he never gave up on his mom. he continued to support her even though he probably had every reason to say why should i have anything to do with you after what u did to me . thats forgiveness and love in action imho

norral Heart