Bring4th

Full Version: The Spiritual Ethics of Suicide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
We are missing humor here.
Why take everything so seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 12:30 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]We are missing humor here.
Why take everything so seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ

Why take nothing seriously?

Suicide is not funny. I think it takes a severe lack of maturity to be incapable of taking even a single topic truly seriously.

I am also speaking largely out of disturbance at my own behaviour this way for far too long.
I'm talking about masters who end their life by "mystical means" rather than suicide.
I thought there was a little humor in that.

Who says I don't take a single topic seriously?

AngelofDeath

I don't know what Rejected Cartoons have at all to do with that. This is a thread on the spiritual ethics of suicide.

I can see the humour in the face of confusion. Keep in mind, these masters are usually 80+ in age and have lived long, full lives.

AngelofDeath

What do you take seriously, Gemini? I'm not saying you don't, that wasn't what I was implying, but I am curious.
(04-03-2015, 12:37 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what Rejected Cartoons have at all to do with that. This is a thread on the spiritual ethics of suicide.

I can see the humour in the face of confusion. Keep in mind, these masters are usually 80+ in age and have lived long, full lives.

Point noted.

I was just interjecting a bit of randomness to break up the serious tone.
(04-03-2015, 12:41 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]What do you take seriously, Gemini? I'm not saying you don't, that wasn't what I was implying, but I am curious.

My job. I try to take my mom seriously. My friends.
My time on this forum I consider serious most of the time.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 12:41 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2015, 12:37 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what Rejected Cartoons have at all to do with that. This is a thread on the spiritual ethics of suicide.

Point noted.

I was just interjecting a bit of randomness to break up the serious tone.

That's my point though. Sometimes you need to be serious and random humour just seems like an attempt to distract from the actual situation. Do you have a hard time dealing with seriousness? I know I do, it's something I've been trying to get over.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 12:42 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2015, 12:41 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]What do you take seriously, Gemini? I'm not saying you don't, that wasn't what I was implying, but I am curious.

My job. I try to take my mom seriously. My friends.
My time on this forum I consider serious most of the time.

That's good, it seems like the things you take seriously are things you care about which is how it should be.
Yes I am not always serious. I don't get sarcasm for one.

AngelofDeath

It's good to be serious at times, and not at others, but there just seems to me to be a lot of times, especially on this forum, that topics that are getting serious will get broken up by 'random humour' and it just seems to me that people aren't always comfortable with really serious conversations.
I thought it was just getting a little heated between us. And I wanted to cool it off.

AngelofDeath

I am always heated, I am afraid.
You should start a new thread about the spiritual ethics of masters who end their life through spiritual means, which is "obviously" not suicide.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 12:28 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]I meant that this thought was already doing this very work.

The opposite of that thought would be to perceive them as separate, whereas in the original thought there was unification.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 12:52 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]You should start a new thread about the spiritual ethics of masters who end their life through spiritual means, which is "obviously" not suicide.

Tough to debate the ethics of masters when you are not a master yourself. Not being one, I don't think I would be qualified to justify their choices. Neither do I attempt to justify the choices of those who would commit suicide. This thread was for discussing the ethics and so I am giving my thoughts as to the details and possible consequences of such an action.

However, having been suicidal and being relatively human, I believe I do have some insight towards the experience of suicide. To attempt to equate stories of masters vanishing in to glowing mist or shrinking until there is only their nails through sheer will with suicide attempts such as through cutting, overdose, high jumps, etc is not only disrespectful to those masters, but also rather uncaring towards the conditions of the lives of individuals who achieve death by the forced destruction of their bodies.
Point Taken.

AngelofDeath

Life is a wondrous, beautiful thing, its end should always be sorrowful. That doesn't mean we can't appreciate rebirth, or greater things beyond this life, but if we don't even appreciate the life that is happening now, what makes us think we'll appreciate something more?

It is well to be at peace with death, but life doesn't just happen, it takes all of Infinity conspiring to make it happen. Infinity has invested itself in all of life, and yet so often life is taken for granted under the reasoning that "there'll be more".

I think there is a case of spiritual gluttony on this planet where people want to just devour experience, without thinking or necessarily appreciating what it is they are devouring. They just want to move on to the next, new, better experience. This is just as true for spiritual folk as it is for material folk. There are tons of seekers who are hinged entirely on the next experience, the time after death, the next amazing meditation, living forever in the future and not in the present.

I apologize for coming across so strongly, but I believe these are serious matters and so I treat them as such.

(By the way, I do actually enjoy and find the Rejected Cartoons hilarious, fyi.)
I am guilty of that. I constantly think of the next experience.
I don't always live in the present.
People all over this planet are slowly killing themselves every day by disrespecting their bodies, some unconsciously, some consciously. 

Taking one's life is, at least, a conscious choice.

I think there is also a difference between someone who takes his or her life because they have an (as of yet) incurable disease or in an incredible amount of degenerative physical pain, and someone who does it out of general hopelessness of life. Either way, I feel great sympathy for anyone whose level of hopelessness gets to that point.

For someone who is in degenerative pain, it would be a choice whether or not to stay here and bear it, for the sake of finishing karma or whatever. In the case of someone staying to continue to be of service even when in pain (such as Carla), I can't speak to that. But regarding karma, I don't think it's fixed, as I would imagine it is based on personal judgments. I think a paradigm shift can happen at any time, even getting off the hamster wheel of karma completely (if it exists as a function of our existence).
(04-03-2015, 01:08 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I think there is a case of spiritual gluttony on this planet where people want to just devour experience, without thinking or necessarily appreciating what it is they are devouring. They just want to move on to the next, new, better experience. This is just as true for spiritual folk as it is for material folk. There are tons of seekers who are hinged entirely on the next experience, the time after death, the next amazing meditation, living forever in the future and not in the present.

This is evident in the New Age community. It is exemplified in the phrase: We are are not bodies, we are souls. It is, I think, another example of unconsciousness.

To be in the moment, which is not that easy to experience given the state of things here, is a singular experience. It feels entirely different than what naturally unfolds here day after day when doing what one must do. Artists will know how it feels, when they are "in the groove" as I call it and time ceases to exist. 
@AngelOfDeath

I would like to bring to your attention that all of this is the exploration of many-ness by Infinity. Any way someone is seeking experiences which you deem incorrect is in fact the exploration of many-ness unfolding. There are no mistakes, there is only the One exploring many-ness and as such not only few-ness which would focus only on the present.

Anything you reject is something that had to be mirrored to you, including GW's humour just as you also reflected something back to him in return.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 01:54 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]@AngelOfDeath

I would like to bring to your attention that all of this is the exploration of many-ness by Infinity. Any way someone is seeking experiences which you deem incorrect is in fact the exploration of many-ness unfolding. There are no mistakes, there is only the One exploring many-ness and as such not few-ness which would focus only on the present.

Anything you reject is something that had to be mirrored to you, including GW's humour just as you also reflected something back to him in return.

I have said nothing of incorrectness. You are right. In fact I could copy and paste your post here everywhere on the internet and in real life and it would be applicable. That's the beauty of a completely infallible philosophy.
(04-03-2015, 01:57 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2015, 01:54 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]@AngelOfDeath

I would like to bring to your attention that all of this is the exploration of many-ness by Infinity. Any way someone is seeking experiences which you deem incorrect is in fact the exploration of many-ness unfolding. There are no mistakes, there is only the One exploring many-ness and as such not few-ness which would focus only on the present.

I have said nothing of incorrectness. You are right. In fact I could copy and paste your post here everywhere on the internet and in real life and it would be applicable. That's beauty of a completely infallible philosophy.

I do believe it is something that needs to be reminded often. It never is only about other-selves, it always is about self. Whatever is perceived in others is a mirror upon self. (I am fully aware this can be told back to me)

AngelofDeath

Yeah I guess it's just getting redundant in my life. I'm well aware of the mirroring and of unity and the apparent illusion. That's why I speak as boldly as I do. There are plenty to continuously reiterate that lesson. Of course I am not telling you to stop reminding, just saying that I do not feel it is what I am desiring or 'meant' to say.
(04-03-2015, 02:33 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I guess it's just getting redundant in my life. I'm well aware of the mirroring and of unity and the apparent illusion. That's why I speak as boldly as I do. There are plenty to continuously reiterate that lesson.

Don't we all only reiterate different lessons.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 02:34 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2015, 02:33 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I guess it's just getting redundant in my life. I'm well aware of the mirroring and of unity and the apparent illusion. That's why I speak as boldly as I do. There are plenty to continuously reiterate that lesson.

Oh, but isn't there only one lesson that all lessons are part of? We can do this all day.
(04-03-2015, 02:35 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh, but isn't there only one lesson that all lessons are part of? We can do this all day.

We could do this for all of Eternity. Mirrors being mirrors.

AngelofDeath

(04-03-2015, 02:37 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2015, 02:35 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]

We could do this for all of Eternity. Mirrors being mirrors.

Yeah, which is why I don't bother endlessly circling that loop. Thanks, but no thanks.
I hope this is more serious.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6