Bring4th

Full Version: A Purposefully Unsophisticated Naming of the Archetypes of the Mind
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These are some renamings for the mind archetypes that I came up.

My general background in this endeavor is that I enjoy distilling often complex spiritual or philosophical concepts into everyday ones that a person with little interest in spiritual or philosophy can understand. What they lack in "purity", I hope, is made up for by their functionality to people who may not be otherwise interested or exposed to material of this sort.

My specific background in this endeavor is that I don't think I've really read much on this subject. Even Ra's description I find too esoteric to be of use, and they didn't resonate completely. Perhaps in time that will change.

The current renaming below did not stem from an immediate intent to come up with a broad renaming scheme. It came from a mental exercise where I thought I'd just try to associate each mind archetype with a style of thinking. I was surprised that what first came to mind was very consistent with the imagery. If this was intended for this forum, I probably would have named these a little differently, but I came up with what I felt could be understood by many, so I beg your indulgence in the matter. Note, I use the brotherhood of light cards for my interpretations.

The Mind
1: The Magician: Desire
2: The High Priestess: Intuition
3: The Empress: Emotion
4: The Emperor: Logic
5: The Hierophant: Law
6: The Lovers: Morality
7: The Chariot: Will

Commentary:

The Magician: Desire
When one's desires are all in focus and without conflict, that intentionality often results in magical changes in reality. However, due to the veiled nature of the mind, this phenomenon is often limited, and as show by the caged bird paradox (a bird is meant to fly, yet the cage keeps it from flying), shows how we often have conflicting desires within our subconscious that can prevent such magical ability from manifesting.

The High Priestess: Intuition
Intuition is from the subconscious, hence the wearing of the moon on the crown and the veil. It can illuminate matters, hence the light in the background. The individual in the picture is sitting, is further away from the viewer, and there is no indication of any sense of ruler-ship that is present in the later images, all to indicate that this is an aspect of the mind that is subtle, and not overpowering.

The Empress: Emotion
Emotion is often not consciously chosen, but stems from the subconsciousness, hence the moon at the feet. However, it is a powerful aspect and can rule our actions, hence the imagery of a ruling queen with a scepter. However, if we are sensitive and pay attention to what our emotions say, we can learn from them, but we must be willing to take time nurture such self-knowledge. Note how the queen gently listens to the bird.

The Emperor: Logic
Logic can be illuminating, and it is often a very powerful force of the mind, hence the symbolism of an emperor holding a scepter of ruler-ship. Only one leg is on the ground indicating how easy it is to lack grounding when using the dictates of logic. The motif of the male emperor or ruler, a type of ruler that is typically higher than than the queen or any priest, signifies how logic can try and rule over other forms of cognition by giving rational value to other things such intuition, raw desire, emotion, morality, etc, but keeping the decision making strictly within the confines of the dictates of reason and logic rather than truly recognizing the full value of the other parts of mind. The floor is black, to suggest that relying on this form of thinking alone can easily lead one to darkness.

The Hierophant: Law
This is probably best described as "rule based thinking", and has nothing to do with actual laws. When one makes a rule of thumb that they find useful, it would fall under this thinking. For example, when I go on runs, I always try to pick up 1 piece of trash - it's a rule I made that small things make the world a better place. Other people have rules about not having more than 2 drinks if they are driving. Our consciousness often makes up many rules as we explore our reality in order to simply complex problems or provide good rule of thumbs. The Hierophant is the rule, or the law we created in our mind concerning a matter. Often, we go to the rules we have created in our life if we don't have the time to think about something or don't wish to ponder it again. This law judges and often decides what action we should take, hence the motif of two people seemingly prostrating themselves in front of the Hierophant. If we are not careful, the law can be a harsh judge, as if we give it too much power, we begin to become close minded and not think about things for ourselves. Once again, the floor is black, to suggest that relying on this form of thinking alone can easily lead one to darkness.

The Lovers: Morality.
Polarity. Duality. Service. All are good terms, but morality has the most wide understanding. I resonated strongly with Ra's description of this (I think it's been some timeSmile), so I'll leave this one without much description.

The Chariot: Will
When it is all said and done, the mind often sets out to actively manifest a goal. This is the will. It is different than all the others in that it seems to be more of the outcome of the mind using the earlier forms of thinking. This is the mind put into motion. Hence the chariot, hence the only card with a sense of motion and a repetition of many symbols in the earlier images.

Other Commentary:
2-6 are ways of navigating consciousness, and be more or less present in certain people's thinking. I definitely know people who only rely on their own set of rules (Law), only on Logic, only on Emotions, or ignore Intuition, etc.

1 and 7 are more essential. All minds have desire, at some level, and the mind must make manifest its will into physical reality in order to survive if only for basic matters such as eating, sleeping, etc, barring some situations involving unwilling slavery.

Anyway, these are my unsophisticated observations. A brief jaunt into what I hope will be many more into the study of archetypes. And much like many of my ideas, I am sure they will be subject to change and evolution!Smile
Interesting interpretation. I see where you have derived these names.

I only suggest that you consider how these cards unite in the context of mind.
Interesting. However, where did 'Focus' go? Also, I think Desire may be better off in spiritual or body. Does the mind desire or does it focus on desire?
I originally wanted to call desire intent, but thought it may be too abstract for the purpose intended. I do think the word focus is more accurate. I will have to doubtlessly revisit the naming after looking at the body and spirit archetypes.

I did have some developing thoughts on 1 and 7 being gateways of consciousness for interaction with the body and spirit, but it's still not developed.

There feels as if there is something different and more expansive with 1 and 7. I will have to think about it more.

EDIT: Finally got to the portion of Book IV that talks about examining 1, 8, 15 together, 2, 9, 16 together etc, and this resonates heavily, so I will have to revisit all of this soon!Smile
Wow, don't know what I was smoking when I made this post.

Looking into the archetypes seriously these days and have a very different understanding haha.