Bring4th

Full Version: is buddhism just another romantic escape?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
first up; the principles of buddhism I find to be the most compatible out of all the major 'faiths'. It has a cleanness and directness which appeals greatly to moi.

but just like the relationship of the Church to the man Jesus, there is the institution of 'Buddhism' and the man Siddhartha Gautama. They are not identical things.

I can remember when I was 19 and wanted to escape from my life. I felt trapped and locked in studying something I really didn't want to. I entertained the storyline of just packing up my stuff, and moving to a monestary in Thailand or Vietnam to find my 'truth'. I never followed through on it, but it was a fantasy for quite some time (then and a bit afterwards).

it seems that the process of 3d living (within societal constructs) offers the greatest catalyst in developing acceptance and love for the other.

- -

I'm sure the monastic life has ENORMOUS BENEFIT for thos that are truly ready for it. Ra offered this on certain christian saints Some of them were part of the 150 that were 4d harvestable, but chose to stick around:

Quote:"22.15 Questioner: Were any of these entities names that we know from our historical past? That have appeared as incarnated beings we find in our history?

Ra: I am Ra. The one known as sound vibration complex, Saint Augustine, is of such a nature. The one known as Saint Teresa of such a nature. The one known as Saint Francis of Assisi of such nature. These entities, being of monastic background, as you would call it, found incarnation in the same type of ambiance appropriate for further learning."

but I sort of wonder if most Westerner's (including myself) conception of buddhism/monastic life is just another way of reframing an escape fantasy from the current life path.

thoughts?

ever wanted to become a bald, saffron-robed monk yourself?

Unbound

I have contemplated becoming a monk, and I know I have done so in other lives. I met a tibetan lamas and I was very impressed. It is not any escape route but a continuous working of the right hand path with powerful energies involved, it can be highly transformative. Even just a small mention of his trials included a 49 day retreat in total darkness and isolation, which would be daunting to most people and yet he had such a peace about him, I could tell he had faced many demons in himself.

The right hand paths are sometimes scorned by seekers who believe strongly in the strength of the individual and balk at the idea of such surrender to peace through the facing of the self and absolving oneself of the chains of one's karma.
The more I read and hear about buddhistic monks the more I would like to experience their mode of living. I don't know what's with it but everything they do just seems... fun. Hard. Complicated. Fun. =)

Edit: I could be seen as romanticizing buddhism also, however I've had the calling to the martial and buddhistic philosophies for a Very long time. Boiled down to its essence I'll likely find roughly equal parts romantics as calling.
Seeking understanding seems to play on two desires: to know, and to keep everything a comfortable distance from the self..you could call it an escape. There's the genuine attempt at wanting to make sense of it all, yet that can be used to assert the self as having the answers, and that everyone else doesn't get it. That's the groping that Ra talks about and how the majority of adepts never go past that point. A lot of those adepts on this planet would be labeled progressive, and may not even be particularly spiritual. It's why so many people are happy to identify as a wanderer, because it satisfies the desire of not wanting to identify with our surroundings (an escape), and being above or beyond the poor Earthlings. So there is a lack of responsibility present and the need to create a certain amount of distance from the collective.

Yet with something like zen buddhism, it all comes full circle with the realization that there is nothing to seek..that there is only experience..clearing the way for "I am that." It's what Ra was trying to teach..rather than taking catalyst and trying to control it, by keeping it at a distance and seeing two instead of one, to instead identify with it..seek love in the moment. So it's as if the journey of breaking free from collective distortion would have never provided you the tools to identify with the collective. I'd say living the monastic life in one lifetime or another would be beneficial for overall violet ray, but eventually the point is to go out into the world.

By the way the current pope chose to be named after Saint Francis of Assisi. He seems to be very humble and a great messenger of true love..refreshing! I mean this guy even said atheists will go to heaven.
I had thought before about being a monk, but I'm much to restless to meditate that much. Perhaps if I had started as a child, it would be easier, but going this late in life, would be very difficult to adapt to their style of living. I've also seen some of the amazing athletic or physical feats that some monks can do. Like thumb stand, where they stand only on their thumbs, or support themselves by their neck with a rope. They do hours of martial arts training each day. That would be too much for me.

I like to sleep in on my days off, but they probably don't have days off.
(07-17-2013, 07:53 AM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]I have contemplated becoming a monk, and I know I have done so in other lives. I met a tibetan lamas and I was very impressed. It is not any escape route but a continuous working of the right hand path with powerful energies involved, it can be highly transformative. Even just a small mention of his trials included a 49 day retreat in total darkness and isolation, which would be daunting to most people and yet he had such a peace about him, I could tell he had faced many demons in himself.

The right hand paths are sometimes scorned by seekers who believe strongly in the strength of the individual and balk at the idea of such surrender to peace through the facing of the self and absolving oneself of the chains of one's karma.

I share these feelings Tanner. As an early teen, when I was first introduced to Buddhism, I remember feeling a lot of fascination, admiration and affinity with monastery life, particularly in Buddhism. Many years later, I realized that I had most likely already walked that particular path, as I now feel and receive some echo of it in the present time. Whenever I even think of such path, I'm immediately flooded with a sense of peace and surrender.

Although I share many beliefs and concepts, my present path is different in one crucial way; I came here to create and share with others. I came to interact and inspire. That is not something I would be able to do had I chosen to live as a Buddhism monk, though I admire them. I have to be part of the people in order to understand them, love them and help them.

Unbound

I've been a monk, this life I'm doin' the wizard thing aha
(07-17-2013, 04:30 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]I've been a monk, this life I'm doin' the wizard thing aha

Hear hear!
I see accounts of near death experiences where people say they saw Jesus.
Is this a guide they are seeing that they interpret as Jesus?
Or does Jesus for real greet each person?
I've also heard of negative experiences in which Jesus rescues the person.
They may have been an atheist before, and then had a negative experience.
Why is it that atheists, and those that don't follow Jesus closely have negative experiences in Near Death?
This makes me question Buddhism. While I'd like to believe it's principles, what if I'm wrong and Jesus is the way to go?
I don't want God to roast me because of my confusion and "lack of faith" when there are so many religions.
My understanding about near-death-experiences (NDEs) is that people tend to report that they were met or received by "entities" that they can relate to or someone they know previously.

Many Americans and Europeans who went through NDEs tend to report that Jesus was there to welcome them. I believe the reason is that most Americans and Europeans are Christians or Catholics.

Over here in the Far East, I have come across people who went through NDEs reporting that Kwan Yin, Lord Buddha or Krishna met them.

My grand-father, minutes before his last breath, told us grand-children who were at his bedside "Stop crying. Look! Grandma is already here and she is taking me home!".

My grand-mother died one year before my grand-father.

Unbound

(07-17-2013, 04:35 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I see accounts of near death experiences where people say they saw Jesus.
Is this a guide they are seeing that they interpret as Jesus?
Or does Jesus for real greet each person?
I've also heard of negative experiences in which Jesus rescues the person.
They may have been an atheist before, and then had a negative experience.
Why is it that atheists, and those that don't follow Jesus closely have negative experiences in Near Death?
This makes me question Buddhism. While I'd like to believe it's principles, what if I'm wrong and Jesus is the way to go?
I don't want God to roast me because of my confusion and "lack of faith" when there are so many religions.

Seeing this post made a great deal of sorrow fill my heart, as I cannot imagine a Creator who would chastise any for their path. Remember, each individual creates what is both good and evil to them. Those who have been "rescued" by Jesus were those who were seeking that experience of being "saved", even if not consciously aware.

I have seen discussions on the death experience that included neither of these, but pertained the Allah, or Muhammed, or the Egyptian pantheon or greek pantheon, etc, the forms of "in-between" guides can vary greatly.

Quote:Ohhhh. Think how it feels. Buddha cares. This one challenge not in Buddha’s name, don’t worry, little one, he CHALLENGE SMART CHALLENGE. HE CHALLENGE WITH … He say, I came in fellowship of the eternal truth of the Christ. Christ everywhere. I no problem with Christ! Only with Jee-sus. But I tell you, this one does not know Buddha, so he say, if I challenge with Buddha, I don’t know what (inaudible) I don’t use that word. I give you new word. He (inaudible) this one, because he don’t like making up stuff he never heard before.

This is when Yadda pops up and there is alsp another time where he expresses that to challenge with Buddha would be just as viable as challenging with Christ.
(07-17-2013, 07:47 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]but I sort of wonder if most Westerner's (including myself) conception of buddhism/monastic life is just another way of reframing an escape fantasy from the current life path.

thoughts?
Yes. The cultural overlay generally provides a path which offers the most catalyst to those under its archetypes.