Bring4th

Full Version: Your Thoughts Do Not Create Your Reality, Stupid.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This made alot of sense to me, what do you guys Think about it?

*sniped* from: Your thoughts do not create your own reality

Let’s get one thing straight.

You do not create your own reality.

Your thoughts do not create your reality either.

All the positive thinking and manifesting and vision boarding and dreaming is not going to get you what you want.

What you do create is your experience of your reality.

Your thoughts about your reality create your experience of that reality.

This distinction is critical, and far too often it’s glossed over, ignored or pushed aside in favor of the far more attractive idea of being completely in control of our reality via our thoughts.

All you need is The Secret, and you too can think your way into a bigger bank balance, a nicer car, a bigger house and a better partner.

Utter crap.

Oh, it doesn’t work unless you get the feeling resonance behind it just right; you really need to feel what it would be like to have that bigger bank balance, drive that bigger car, living in that bigger house and have that better partner.

You need to emotionally-charge your positive thinking, manfiesting, vision-boarding, dreaming…

Now this has a smidgen of truth in it, but it’s still a corrupted way to sell books, DVDs, online courses and workshops that hook into people’s desire to live better lives, and people’s downright greed.

It also implies that if you don’t get the money, the car, the house, the man than there’s something wrong with you.

I’d wager that many people attracted to these kinds of promises are already afraid there’s something wrong with them. Working with manifesting tips and tricks—and failing—is just going to reinforce that fear even more.

So what is the real deal?

Simply this:

Our thoughts and emotions are intertwined. A thought can give rise to a feeling, and a feeling can give rise to a thought. Underlying beliefs, often unconscious, give rise to both thoughts and feelings.

Beliefs, thoughts and feelings are the filter through which we experience our life.

All the circumstances, everything that happens to us, all the people we come in contact with, everything… is experienced through the filter of our beliefs, thoughts and our feelings about the circumstances, the happenings, the people, the everything.

This combination of external reality and internal reality creates your ultimate reality.

Two things, intertwined, inseparable from each other.

What this means is that if your internal reality changes, i.e., your beliefs, thoughts and feelings, then the sum of your reality will change, but not the relative external reality. Because the sum of your reality has changed, the choices you make will change, and then the external reality will also change, because you’re steering your ship in a new direction.

I like math, love it in fact, always have. Math makes things make sense.

Here’s my math on this.

Beliefs (b) + Thoughts (t) + feelings (f) = Internal Reality (IR)

Circumstances © + people (p) = External Reality (ER)

BIR + ER = Ultimate Reality (UR) or, more complex (b+t+f)+(c+p)=UR

Change any input in these equations and you’ll change the end result—you’ll change UR.

Lets put this in a real world example.

Stupid Secret Thinking, envisioning the future:
•You want more money because you want to be rich.
•You positively think about receiving large sums of cash. You use various manifesting methods. You do a vision board with money on it. You dream about being rich.
•You feel what it would be like to have a lot of money in the bank.
•You wait patiently for the money to arrive, and when it doesn’t, you wonder what you did wrong. You feel, in your wanting, just how damn lacking you truly are.

Smarter Thinking, working with what is:
•You ask yourself why you want to be rich.
•You realize it’s because you feel you deserve some luxuries in your life because you’ve been working so hard.
•You take a look at your life to see where you’re already experiencing luxury. You look at where you could treat yourself even more. You ask yourself what luxuries are possible right now. You search out luxuries that are possible on your budget.
•You begin to treat yourself on a regular basis to things that make you feel good—like long hot baths with bath salts, afternoon walks in the sun by the beach, and a red rose once a week.
•You notice, in astonishment, that you feel rich, because you’re meeting your need to treat yourself ever now and then with a luxury.
•You’ve successfully inquired into your thoughts and feelings, using the knowledge gained to change the way you perceive your current reality, and made new choices which changed that reality and therefore changed the way you feel.

That is the big difference between creating your reality, and creating your experience of your reality.

The first is externally focused, hoping and wishing that using the right magical thoughts or feeling will make something happen ‘out there.’

The second is internally focused, making choices and actions that meet the underlying needs creating the desiring wants.

The first is future-focused, hoping and wishing that something will happen in the future.

The second is now-focused, working with what is right now.

Is this even true? I have no idea. This is just one way to look at reality to make some sense out of it and therefore chose how to be. The real question is, does it work?

For me, yes it does, as you can read about it in articles like this:
•How identifying with not being something also causes great misery
•There is nothing wrong with you. You don’t need fixing
•A tale of Mat Resistance, and practicing anyway

In all of these cases, I notice my misery, I notice the beliefs, thoughts and feelings that are giving rise to that misery, and I work directly with those beliefs, thoughts and feelings—not be attempting to change them, fix them or heal them. But simply by bringing awareness to them, and allowing that to create change, or not.

Every now and then, I too get side-tracked. I notice misery and begin to focus on changing my external reality as a way of shifting my ultimate reality. It’s subtle, but you can see this at work in this article:
•I’m only woman when there should be man as well

Usually, I catch myself within a few weeks and turn towards the true source of my misery—that which lies inside me.

It’s easy to see how this process can be subverted—how easy it can be to think that our beliefs, thoughts and feelings create our reality; therefore, if we’re not rich, or successful, or thin or something, there’s something wrong with us. We begin to think that if we just had the right manifesting technique or tool, or thought the right things, we could fix ourselves and our life.

It’s a folly.

Our external reality, in this moment, is fixed.

Our response to that external reality is fluid.

Accept the fixed.

Work with the fluid.

See what arises in that space.

I dare you.
Seems a restatement of the channels discussing "creating your own reality" but splitting hairs on terminology.
The article does not resonate with me, personally.

The author of it seems to have a very negative orientation towards what she perceives as "magical thinking", however, there is such a thing as real magical principals at work. I have had plenty of direct experiences of my thoughts manifesting in my experience, with no external action offered whatsoever. But then, the division between "internal" and "external" is the ego or self, and the division is ultimately arbitrary.

Focus really does generate all realities.

Having said that, the people who insist on sitting on their couch and trying to manifest their material aggrandizements have missed the boat. Action is not to be abandoned (virtually no one on this plane is at that level of adeptness anyhow). We sometimes forget that in the oneness of all things, one piece of the whole need not bow in sacrosanct submission to another part. That would amount to distorted kind of "controlling", rather than a positive sort of "cooperation with the indwelling creator". The parts are all equal. Thus, if we were to conceptualize the universe as one unified body and the hand of this body were trying, figuratively, for whatever reason, to connect with another part of this body, like, say, the hand, on the external side of things, this hand could conceivably wait for the other hand, to come to it, but it would be far more efficient for them to meet in the middle.

And so, from this perspective, we can see that our "outer self" functions as one of the components of the universe. However, it is just an appearance. On the inner side of things, we are all one Being. When you are functioning as this one Being, it is an irrelevant matter whether one component is controlling or "manifesting" the other component. From that framework, ALL components are cooperative components. And they work together to manifest the needs of the whole. And this involves a lot of what "appears" to be external action, and also involves a lot of, usually unacknowledged, "action at a distance" or "magical" organizing of events and circumstances. Everything is a coalescing of components to match whatever the vibrational offering is.

Form arises out of the formless.

Hopefully that was intelligible to someone.

Unbound

This person has clearly attempted methods of manifestation and not been successful but has found it successfuly by arranging the method according to the understanding they have of their own psychology. An interesting perspective, valid, but seems to be filled with some resentment. Blessings to this one on their journey. Smile

ALTHOUGH

I DO agree with them, however, I believe that the whole "relative objective reality" is really just a fancy way of saying an objective reality arising from interdependant subjectivities create the experience from the reality, because relativity is really an abstraction of subjectivity in relation to other subjectivities.

The objective experience arises from an infinite oneness of subjectivity that is infinitely deep, thoughtful and wise, and binds all through the love which is just a word we use to describe a concept and a vibration and experience we have, with ourselves or another, or in really whatever relativity to any other subjectivity. Subjectivity is fire and an objective relative reality is its capacity to burn, forever.

That being said, love is filled with a strange mystery, because there appears to be some kind of relative shell created by the interacting mode of the relativity which is the motion of the subjectivity that is infinite in dimension.

Every level exists, but there are relationships between everything, a feeling, a resonance, a vibrational interaction which causes everything to arise in a crystalline matrice, a flowing crystalline ocean of perception that is infinite and endless and this is the greatest mystery of all.

So, your thoughts do create your reality by impressioning your beliefs, which shape the "tone poem" that you are, but there is also a necessary change of self which must occur to accomodate the new reality that arises around you as feedback or experience, you being the creator of said experience through your interaction with the apparent subject-based relative objective reality which is responsive to your very heart itself, in all forms.

/rant
Felt like an unsourced rant about how magic doesnt work and everyone who believes it does is silly. Seen one seen a million of these.

(07-26-2013, 09:29 PM)Raz Wrote: [ -> ]Lets put this in a real world example.

Stupid Secret Thinking, envisioning the future:
•You positively think about receiving large sums of cash. You use various manifesting methods. You do a vision board with money on it. You dream about being rich.
•You feel what it would be like to have a lot of money in the bank.
•You wait patiently for the money to arrive, and when it doesn’t, you wonder what you did wrong. You feel, in your wanting, just how damn lacking you truly are.

Smarter Thinking, working with what is:
•You ask yourself why you want to be rich.
•You realize it’s because you feel you deserve some luxuries in your life because you’ve been working so hard.
•You take a look at your life to see where you’re already experiencing luxury. You look at where you could treat yourself even more. You ask yourself what luxuries are possible right now. You search out luxuries that are possible on your budget.
•You begin to treat yourself on a regular basis to things that make you feel good—like long hot baths with bath salts, afternoon walks in the sun by the beach, and a red rose once a week.
•You notice, in astonishment, that you feel rich, because you’re meeting your need to treat yourself ever now and then with a luxury.
•You’ve successfully inquired into your thoughts and feelings, using the knowledge gained to change the way you perceive your current reality, and made new choices which changed that reality and therefore changed the way you feel.

First one is a simple manifestation plan. You have a need of money, you state that you have a need of money and ask that the universe provides more of said energy, then you spend your energy on trying to increase your awareness of the universes reaction to your request so that you can be more aware of all guidance towards your stated clear goal.

The second one is a convulated plan to try to remove the desire itself, label it as bad and indeed in need of reform.

First one goes like this "state a desire, work on it."

Second one goes like this "state a desire, think about why you are wishing for such silly things, reform your thinking into not stating what you want, become angry about it and call it progress and rant at others who don't follow."

Seen this particular style of approaching the magical workings enough times to have a fairly good guess of why the person in the article wrote the way she/he did.

Melissa

That's my homegirl right there.
Sounds like somebody doesn't know what a thought is.
Profound! I would just add 2 more factors to the equation:

1. Action
2. Pre-incarnational parameters are important in understanding our circumstances, but we can outgrow those parameters and create new parameters. In other words, it's a self-imposed limitation to say "I am stuck with this because my Higher Self programmed it." Just opening our minds to new possibilities can broaden those parameters, because they might no longer be serving us and can be released.

Great article - thanks for sharing!

(07-27-2013, 04:16 AM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]but seems to be filled with some resentment.

Hmmm...I didn't perceive it that way at all.

(07-26-2013, 11:58 PM)Parsons Wrote: [ -> ]Seems a restatement of the channels discussing "creating your own reality" but splitting hairs on terminology.

It's great to see the same ideas expressed in different ways using different terms...different people respond to different approaches.
I find it odd that no one noticed how he replaced the persons desire for money with a desire for luxury.

Desire for energy replaced by desire for comfort. Word for Word. And no one noticed, Huh.
It was definitely a personal reaction to pseudo-metaphysics such as The Secret. I think it's not bashing 'magic' per say but a critique that the way it is taught is in a way lacking and leads naive minds to believe that just thinking will manifest something, whereas as others said, action is paramount.

Seems as though the New Thought movement overemphasizes the importance of thought while minimizing or ignoring the importance of unconscious aspects of our mind, including emotional memories that are instrumental in retrieving thoughts based on past experiences that have not been sufficiently processed. The subtle emotional memories influence what thoughts are retrieved and so when there is emotional baggage around what one is intending to manifest, mere thoughts (like affirmations for example) or will/desire will probably not change someone the way person wants things to change. That said, it's not only action but also having more access to these unconscious issues in the personal unconscious that create a sort of pattern or template of how reality is perceived and created.

So add to action, the need to clean out own mental baggage that keeps person stuck in certain patterns.
(07-27-2013, 06:18 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.kenwilber.com/blog/show/238

Statements like "reality is not composed of..." always make me smile.

Way to limit yourself Smile
I can manifest quickly if there is intense emotion. Problem is I am very laid back. So I can only pull this off if stressed.

Emotion seems to be the key for the magical type of manifestation.

Unbound

^ Bingo.
Key is, be so laid back that you only need to lift a pinky because its such a tremendous emotional investment from the state of bliss to lift the pinky. Right! huh Right! Do i get the cookie now? >_<;

Want to know how you cant to get so laid back that you only need to lift a finger to have that tremendous emotional charge. I can nat bis telling you that.

Unbound

The whole practice of invocation is to learn to alter the personality at will to summon the necessary emotional charge for one's work, well, at least that is one approach to the practice.
Some smiles say it all I think. ^

PS: Had to copy paste your "up" sign because don't know what key it is.
(07-27-2013, 06:22 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]It was definitely a personal reaction to pseudo-metaphysics such as The Secret. I think it's not bashing 'magic' per say but a critique that the way it is taught is in a way lacking and leads naive minds to believe that just thinking will manifest something, whereas as others said, action is paramount.
I would agree with Davis' assessment. He is describing an aspect of the green vmeme. Very simply, interior perspectives are relatively new here at that vibration and so easily misguided toward non-polarizing notions which emphasize infinite possibilities as an attempt to feed ego. Many are entertaining a new aspect of themselves which may provide one of the only ways to connect with the spirit, which has a sacred, mystical, and affirming feel and so is usually compelling as a transcendent function. Intersubjectivity is only available later, after more work in polarization, and provides the perspective necessary to see the pathology and limitations of "infinite personal interiors" and their social projections (which are readily demonstrated on these forums). I would say unequivocally that it is impossible to understand the dynamic, the "new-age/magical thinking meme" dynamic, without transcending it through yellow or later stages of mind where a degree of honesty is finally available.
It truly is inflation on a false scale as the article you linked described:

Quote:Throughout, The Secret conflates ego (the frontal structure, personality) with Self (an unbounded, unlimited reality which transcends but includes all qualities). In doing so it engineers an unabashed Spiritual Narcissism. Ego is God. The vicissitudes of your ego, its preferences, its unresolved cravings, become the vestments in a regressive ritual. See? It's MAGIC. You cast a spell, voila, the Universe responds. Cuz you're God. Why exactly an entity that IS everything would need more is not clear, why a Divine Being that is all powerful would need to appeal to another power is perplexing, but.. To cement this Kosmic Delusion, The Secret hypnotically repeats "The Universe" and "Your thoughts, your feelings" until the two are braided into a phantasm that places your Ego squarely in the Center of Reality, in control of all that comes in and out of being. What do you want to do with your Divine Power? Free all sentient beings? Awaken every sister and brother from the Dream? Dissolve the source of suffering? No. You want cars. And girlfriends, and boyfriends, and a new red bike and a big new house.
Action is of the mind, Rie. It's all of the mind. It's all simply awareness. I cannot see how one can think creations of intelligence supercede intelligence.

Action is a creation of Intention. Desire is a function of an intelligence desiring to know itself.
In-action is also a form of action. Action may be many things. In this instance it is more than mere mind-action but actually going out there or putting self out there to open doors and creating opportunities, not sitting in one's room intending a $3,000 check to be dropped off in my mailbox.

Unbound

(07-27-2013, 07:15 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]Action is of the mind, Rie. It's all of the mind. It's all simply awareness. I cannot see how one can think creations of intelligence supercede intelligence.

Action is a creation of Intention. Desire is a function of an intelligence desiring to know itself.

Wait, desire is a function of desire? I am confused aha
(07-27-2013, 07:27 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]In-action is also a form of action. Action may be many things. In this instance it is more than mere mind-action but actually going out there or putting self out there to open doors and creating opportunities, not sitting in one's room intending a $3,000 check to be dropped off in my mailbox.

What I wish to invoke is that the moving of the mind/body/spirit complex is actually a thought-pattern seen macrocosmically. It just a shifting of thoughts that form different visualizations.

As for applying intentions in regards to a $3,000 check, it is far more difficult to set an intention in the universal mind in regards to that rather than on an individual basis. Although the former is possible.

(07-27-2013, 07:35 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-27-2013, 07:15 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]Action is of the mind, Rie. It's all of the mind. It's all simply awareness. I cannot see how one can think creations of intelligence supercede intelligence.

It inherently exists in the mind's analysis. It is only individuated as a concept through our physical realities.
*slowly walks next to rie*

Some day you will get that 3.000 check in your mailbox, one day.

Unbound

(07-27-2013, 07:35 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-27-2013, 07:27 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]In-action is also a form of action. Action may be many things. In this instance it is more than mere mind-action but actually going out there or putting self out there to open doors and creating opportunities, not sitting in one's room intending a $3,000 check to be dropped off in my mailbox.

What I wish to invoke is that the moving of the mind/body/spirit complex is actually a thought-pattern seen macrocosmically. It just a shifting of thoughts that form different visualizations.

As for applying intentions in regards to a $3,000 check, it is far more difficult to set an intention in the universal mind in regards to that rather than on an individual basis. Although the former is possible.

It inherently exists in the mind's analysis. It is only individuated as a concept through our physical realities.

What's physical? Aha
(07-27-2013, 07:37 PM)Not Sure Wrote: [ -> ]*slowly walks next to rie*

Some day you will get that 3.000 check in your mailbox, one day.

Yeah, in all seriousness, this would likely require mind control because nobody is going to unconciously send a $3,000 check. Freewill is a great factor here.

So you can use magic to get yourself a $3,000 check. Just expect to be polarized negatively.

(07-27-2013, 07:40 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-27-2013, 07:35 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]

What's physical? Aha
A visualization of the universal mind.
Yes, and then expect to do positive "shining light for no charge" service in return, or are you seriously expecting to have 100% polarity towards positive? BigSmile Maybe start with doing things you know to be negative first and use that to figure out what is positive, that is, opposite of that which you know to be wrong. You know, or you know, as they say, making money appear in 3.000$ check form randomly and then spending the same amount randomly to help feed starving people somewhere else. Its called the matrix for a reason and what you do out, i can guarantee you get back. If you randomly help people without expecting anything back I can aboslutely guarantee you, there are people out there in alternative timelines that are just itching to give you 3.000$ in recompense. But thats just me.

PErsonally , i dont manifest money out of nothing because it defeats the purpose of the game.
hmm . . . this discussion has me thinking about when I prayed for help with my financial situation and then a short while later my grandma mailed me a huge cheque.
(07-27-2013, 07:48 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]hmm . . . this discussion has me thinking about when I prayed for help with my financial situation and then a short while later my grandma mailed me a huge cheque.

That's because you both shared the same desire in this regard, unconciously or otherwise. You had a connection. Your desire was mutual.

Magical intention is very potent in this regard. Especially love spells in voluntary relationships.
Pages: 1 2 3