Bring4th

Full Version: The LLResearch/Bring4th Unification Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-21-2013, 01:50 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely, please do! Send it to the contact address at http://llresearch.org/contact.aspx.

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bgpwczf7zds4d1o

Culled them down and organized them a bit, to retain some semblance of sanity. Tongue
Went over each of them, they are all ready to go as far as functionality. If you need color changes in specific ones or frame reanimation I can do that. The pack overall is focused towards expression of emotion, rather than being set congruent. So you will see different ones from different sets. The problem I find with the majority of newer emoticon sets (past 7+ years), is that what they gain in realism, they loose in emotion that they are trying to express. A lot of the ones from the late 90's are far better as far as that is concerned.

The best, quickest and most effortless way to scroll through them all is to use a little program called IrfanView, which I included in the pack here.
The background viewing area of IrfanView is black, so some parts of an emoticon (such as text) might not show up while viewing through it, you can change the background color, but these parts show up in your file browser as well. Smile
Thanks Gary, enjoyed the reply.

Attempts hard to not make a mega-long post of death, for Parson's sake.

(08-21-2013, 01:50 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]Who makes that judgment call for others, though? What is the ultimate, universal standard that applies equally to all people irrespective of their depth of understanding and their position along the evolutionary timeline?
This is a great question, let me see if I can answer it.

Yes, the choice ultimately does reside with the seeker, as always.

One universal standard I see is "power". Power comes from knowledge and it enables one to pursue one's desires. All, except for 7th density, seek it in their own way & polarity. The pursuit of power creates choices.

As far as the usefulness of anything is concerned, it is important not to be black and white, which does infringe on free will. For everything IS useful.
In the same breath it is important to emphasize that from a temporal perspective of one's life, one's current incarnation, there exists disempowering and empowering sources of knowledge.
Which the seeker will have to determine at every stage of their path.

That some channelings are designed to take away the seeker's power in the most sweet and subtle of ways, by placating the seeker's ego then by further strengthening it.
And all the ways in which this is done, can be listed/demonstrated. So the emphasis is made for people to observe what they are seeking, empowerment or disempowerment.
The former of course being expressed either through STO or STS. And the latter through the ego desires of a STS nature.
An experience down the ego path can be utilized for learning, very, very powerful learning in fact, but it never hurts to create awareness of everything that can/is happening,
with an unbiased slant, merely a documentation of what is possible.

Little things like that, that immediately teach someone something, who might just be quick scanning through the intro pages.
Something that catches someone's attention, fulfills a need of being understood, gives a piece of empowering advice for free....
If one chooses one's words carefully, much can be accomplished with very little text. [Image: 2n1ulao.gif]
I have a couple of thoughts which may be too general to be of practical use, but here they are...

First, I don't know how to spell this out, but it seems to me that various people enter into the Material at different levels. Maybe some are interested in the more literal aspects, some care about how it could support whatever their own biases are, some thrive on the general social aspect, some on the intellectual stuff, some on the experiential, some feel it's a groovy thing to associate with, and so on. The differentiation and support of these different levels of approach seems to be guided by a passive process. I wonder if the management would consider refining this deliberately...somehow? I'm not sure what I would emphasize, exactly, but it seems to me that the small number of users of the sites is partly a function of the lack of focus of support for specific sub-sets of users. (Maybe?) Perhaps a lot of people have cruised around the site, but not found a suitable place to land and engage? Perhaps most have wandered off? In summation, maybe the various landing spots should be specifically considered as such and evaluated in terms of what they offer to which targeted sub-sets?

Secondly, speaking of deeper engagement, in your proto-menu I didn't notice an emphasis on ways people can contribute to "the cause," not monetarily, but in other ways. I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but it's something you may wish to ponder for a moment.
Delivers mega pack but forgets favourite emoticon! [Image: 1exmon.gif]
Addition: Sweating a bit [Image: 219bb05.gif]

and
Peace [Image: 2znwf1x.gif]
Suspicious [Image: 291yo8p.gif]
Bathtime [Image: k36b1v.gif]
YinYang [Image: 2qiob5s.gif]
This might be a clearer way of expressing my sentiments regarding refining user engagement. I'm not sure about the logistics, just floating a concept.

Take the forums, for example. If I were to begin a thread on "What is STO?" some people engage in a more scholarly way including Ra/Q'uo quotes, others would give opinions not based on the Material, others might go on about some recent experience and tie that in...or not, etc.

On the one hand, this unsorted spontaneous conversation is fine as it is, but on the other hand, those who put a lot of work into their responses may be left uninspired by those who are more casual, or something like this. In any event--and I could well be wrong about this--it seems that the active membership of the forums sorts itself out so that some general group of like-suited communicants survives, but other (maybe more specialized) groups fade away.

So, what I'm suggesting is an overall format that allows the scholarly types to do their work while offering a discrete place for those seeking advice about a current issue in their lives, another spot for the casual chatter and so forth. From the way the forums are set up it seems as though this was originally intended. I'm averring that such a goal could be more successfully achieved.

Frankly, I feel that the fact that the pursuit of deepening serious understanding is not segregated from the more temporal or off-hand dialogue on this site prevents there forming an accessible body of discussion of lasting value. This perceived fact is only heightened by the general turnover of site users where new people are entering and the more experienced often lose interest. That is, they are offered no satisfying means of engagement.
Yes that is a very good point peregrine, I have noticed this as well and not just here, it is a common thing everywhere.
Glad you brought this up. I've been observing this very phenomenon for over 2 years now.

It has to do with several things.

Firstly, for some people it might have to do with being appreciated which in turn has to do with self-worth. Which in turn has to do with acceptance of other selves.

For others it provides an important forum for the exchange of ideas, ie expression of self, which when this lacks, seems to result in withdrawal. This is due to two reasons, either it is a simple pursuit of a specific goal - if not quickly satisfied the individual seeks elsewhere - which is a natural exercise of free will. The other reason that I've noticed has to do with expectation/anticipation and attachment, which results in not being able to process the now moment as it is. It points out precisely what such a person is uncomfortable with (non-accepting of) and tells them where their lesson lies.

For others - actually probably for all, it seems to do with levels of consciousness or awareness or understanding and this determines that/if some are tied to a particular teaching(or knowledge) more than others, while those others are much more free to utilize anything and everything at their disposal, whether it be this or that material or one's own understanding/wisdom. Ie reading between the lines, though this in itself requires a diligence and sometimes a team effort.

In fact the feeling of alienation or unfulfillment due to an external state of things, says what about the self??

All three of these cross each other at certain points and each ties into the previous.

I am certainly for the occasional joke or differently toned response thrown into a topic of a certain flavor, unless stipulated by the initiator of such a discussion that all should remain serious and "on-topic", acceptance of such things is an STO quality. It is the spice of life.

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as "off-topic", everything is connected. Unless you have a determined de-railer on your hands, most people contribute because they feel they have something to contribute, no matter the nature of it. And I view self-expression as the cornerstone/foundation of existence.
Interesting response.

(08-31-2013, 04:00 AM)Light of Wisdom Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly, for some people it might have to do with being appreciated which in turn has to do with self-worth. Which in turn has to do with acceptance of other selves.

You mean......I may not be the only one????????????

(08-31-2013, 04:00 AM)Light of Wisdom Wrote: [ -> ]I am certainly for the occasional joke or differently toned response thrown into a topic of a certain flavor...

This exceeds the bounds of good taste, I would say.

But, seriously, how would you suppose these websites could be structured so as to encourage some amount of discussion to be a cleaner distillate of organized, useful thought beyond a more randomized stream-of-consciousness-chatter? It reminds me of Don Elkins' perfectly understandable difficulty in avoiding "transient material" while learning to focus more on matters more useful to us all over a long period of time. Surely, such an effort would be appropriate here at this time?
What exactly to do you have in mind? I mean aside from a text/picture based forum, what is the next order of interaction beyond that? Video?

There is only so much that can be accomplished through the screen.
Nothing beats a good old fashioned real life community.

Is this the kind of connection you are alluding to?
Something more intimate?

Or is it just more intense topics that you would prefer? Ones that are based on much concrete research as well as philosophical theorizing.
Is it not for each of us to put in how much effort we wish? Every response is unique, be it "funny" or "unrelated". These are only views, each response in my eyes has value though it may not seem as so. If you search for meaning in everything you will find meaning in everything.

It is up to each of us to be as we wish, if others do not live up to ones expectations it's ones choice to react as one will on it. I think that's how it should be, we have to mature 'freely'. Restrictions placed upon ourselves slow the progress, in my eyes it's not worth it.

And by no means do I suggest letting bots run wild around the site Big Grin I mean it as - one can not control what others put out. Unless you want even more 'rules' thus crushing part of the soul out of the forums. Yet anarchy is not a state I for one would want here either.

Balance of both, an always ongoing 'battle' in my eyes between the two has the potential to become the 'best' of both in each moment. And yes it is energy consuming but very enriching if kept!

Heart

Edit: typo and a word adjustment
Quote:Light of Wisdom: Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bgpwczf7zds4d1o

Thanks so much for this! I've added this to the pile on Steve's desk. It will likely not be something he does before the websites are unified into one. But when and as that unification happens, this can be something he processes with the other items.

Also, you were suggesting that some metric be included in a new website that helps the seeker differentiate "useful" from "useless" information.

I asked how it would be possible to create a universal standard that applies to all people regardless of their needs and position in the stream of evolution.

And you replied:

Quote:Light of Wisdom: One universal standard I see is "power". Power comes from knowledge and it enables one to pursue one's desires.

Personally I agree wholeheartedly that the extent to which the information empower the seeker, surrendering any power it may hold over the seeker, is a key determinant of the information's value. And a great starting point in evaluating spiritually oriented information.

However, again we come back to the problem of universality. Not everyone wants to be empowered. Many people involved in fundamentalist religious interpretation would emphatically, albeit unconsciously, prefer *not* to have the power of responsibility, of creating their own reality, of having to find their own way, etc.

So we could perhaps create a means to measure and distill the value of information based upon a set criteria, but we could not claim objectivity. Any criteria we set forth would naturally and only be from our perspective, informed though that perspective may be by higher-density sources and the relative depth of our own study and understanding.

I think it a worthwhile essay, though! "Sorting the Diamonds from the Rough: How Most Channeled Information is Rubbish." : )

Quote:Peregrine: First, I don't know how to spell this out, but it seems to me that various people enter into the Material at different levels. Maybe some are interested in the more literal aspects, some care about how it could support whatever their own biases are, some thrive on the general social aspect, some on the intellectual stuff, some on the experiential, some feel it's a groovy thing to associate with, and so on. The differentiation and support of these different levels of approach seems to be guided by a passive process. I wonder if the management would consider refining this deliberately...somehow?

That's an interesting point. We were internally discussing that conundrum recently. As mentioned previously in this thread, we plan to create a "Start Here" section for the new seeker to the website who may need some orientation and easing into the information.

And we will improve the layout of the site so that there is less digging needed to get right into the meat of the material. This will be especially helpful for the seeker who needs no introduction but who, much like was true in my case, feels their soul's path change the moment they encounter the information, or at least breathes a profound sigh of relief and perhaps does a cartwheel, or two.

However, these basic, broad entry-points are not as differentiated and nuanced as you suggest. We're not precisely sure how to meet each particular type of need and create a doorway for each temperament, but we will certainly try to build as many bridges as possible!

We hope to use the new website to highlight the research and writing of others that compares and synthesizes the Confederation material with other, perhaps more terrestrial sources of information. This might help provide more doors suited to more personality types.

Quote:Peregrine: Secondly, speaking of deeper engagement, in your proto-menu I didn't notice an emphasis on ways people can contribute to "the cause," not monetarily, but in other ways. I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but it's something you may wish to ponder for a moment.

We hope to foster greater engagement and participation, whether through volunteer projects, networking, or contributions of a non-monetary sort. Though it's all open and of an experimental flavor.

Quote:Peregrine: So, what I'm suggesting is an overall format that allows the scholarly types to do their work while offering a discrete place for those seeking advice about a current issue in their lives, another spot for the casual chatter and so forth. From the way the forums are set up it seems as though this was originally intended. I'm averring that such a goal could be more successfully achieved.

Frankly, I feel that the fact that the pursuit of deepening serious understanding is not segregated from the more temporal or off-hand dialogue on this site prevents there forming an accessible body of discussion of lasting value. This perceived fact is only heightened by the general turnover of site users where new people are entering and the more experienced often lose interest. That is, they are offered no satisfying means of engagement.

What you point to is a forum-specific issue, and is a lamentation that's been voiced before. How to segregate the more focused from the less focused, the more in-depth from the shallow. How to keep like efforts together and sustain penetrating, productive inquiry, and keep the off-topic chatter to a minimum for certain threads and topics.

We attempted an "Advanced Studies" forum once to meet this need, but it didn't seem to fly.

There is some tweaking of the forums that we have in mind to help facilitate a solution to the issue you identify above, but how effective or helpful it will be is unknown at this point. Austin proposed using the current basic division of the forums into two broad sections, but repurposing the first section as "Spiritual Studies" and the second as "Community'. Naturally with great overlap between the two, but with the emphasis delineated along those lines.

While I concur that there is need for the more focused, sustained, mutually productive discussion that produces something, as you mention, of greater enduring value in terms of the usefulness of its content to other readers, I would note that perhaps the greatest value of the forums is not the content itself, but the meeting of person to person, and the embrace therein.

Thanks Light of Wisdom, Lycen, and Peregrine for contributing!!

: ) Gary
A few things that were impressed on my mind as soon as I read this:
  • A comments section per question (Ra reading) that is naturally hidden so that you must "do something" (i.e. click an expander) to view them. This would need to be heavily moderated, and the comments to be up/down voted. Overall, this would enable the community to:
    • Provide links, images and sites that may help with explanations of some of what they have uncovered on the web by other seekers
    • Tie in some of what the community has seen elsewhere (Bible verse, Tao Te Ching, physics book, etc.)
    • Express where some words and phrases come
    • Seek farther by explaining what they've read according to their own lives
  • Upload thumbnails and full pictures for a user profile, so that we could have the thumbnail to see in the forums, but be able to see full pictures if we click on their pictures.
  • Service opportunities:
    • This one was impressed on me without giving me a full explanation as to what was meant by it
    • It may be something separate from the volunteer section
    • Perhaps a means for the community to express service opportunities that they have encountered
    • Maybe this was intended to be a forum topic???
(09-10-2013, 05:57 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]However, again we come back to the problem of universality. Not everyone wants to be empowered. Many people involved in fundamentalist religious interpretation would emphatically, albeit unconsciously, prefer *not* to have the power of responsibility, of creating their own reality, of having to find their own way, etc.
Yes well said.

There is also another perspective, a much smaller one. People still prefer which job they work at, which school they go to, which person they fall in love with, what they purchase, where they go to holidays, what is better for them and what is worse.......
And instead of seeing a lessening of this choice making there is a rise, due no doubt to the natural rise of awareness. These are all demonstrations of power and having the ability to exercise it.

And these normal everyday things tie in/connect very much to loftier ones such as "creating one's own reality", "responsibility" and so on. Even a mother would like to have power of choice which milk (Monsanto or non) to give to her son, which school he should go to to ensure a stable life for him.... That is her responsibility.

I don't think there is one person in the world that could not teach another something, that even the most seasoned individual would not see their life anew because of it.

This whole idea of this article is just an idea, it's not necessary in an ultimate sense.
But I do find that it cuts down on the time certain individuals spend meandering through the wastes. Ie it provides a great service to those who need guidance.

(09-10-2013, 05:57 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]I think it a worthwhile essay, though! "Sorting the Diamonds from the Rough: How Most Channeled Information is Rubbish." : )
It is important to demonstrate balance when demonstrating polarity of any sort - well at least for STO candidates. Such topics, need to put the information on display and let the seeker choose how to proceed, in order to remain as objective as possible.

There is always the reminder that one's (free will) choices in life are based on the increasing level of one's knowledge of self and that that is always the last and primary voice that one can listen to.

With maybe a classier subtitle:
How Most Channeled Information is Applesauce.
How Most Channeled Information is Folderol
How Most Channeled Information is Flapdoodle
Tongue

There is a bunch of other ones, especially British ones, that are just ROFL, but I desist. Big Grin

Btw, there is a couple of emoticons I did not include in that zip pack, I posted them in an above post, hope you got them as well.

Anything else you need, for example nice fonts, like art nouveau style?
Or really cool symbols that you can use as page separators, embellishments...?

Something like this:
[Image: yabb_b77_u5jbh.png]

Smile
thats way too many symbols lol jeez, but ya never know when you want to make your msgs baroque rofl
[Image: baroque-855.jpg]

and somehow that just makes me think of underpants

[Image: loom.jpg]
Hello Kainous,

(09-10-2013, 11:00 PM)kainous Wrote: [ -> ]A few things that were impressed on my mind as soon as I read this:
  • A comments section per question (Ra reading) that is naturally hidden so that you must "do something" (i.e. click an expander) to view them. This would need to be heavily moderated, and the comments to be up/down voted. Overall, this would enable the community to:
    • Provide links, images and sites that may help with explanations of some of what they have uncovered on the web by other seekers
    • Tie in some of what the community has seen elsewhere (Bible verse, Tao Te Ching, physics book, etc.)
    • Express where some words and phrases come
    • Seek farther by explaining what they've read according to their own lives

Effectively using a bullet-point list, you have spoken to my heart. : )

This idea actually first appeared earlier this year. Another seeker suggested a similar thing to Tobey. We discussed it and determined that the oversight necessary is beyond our current resources, and it might prove distracting to the smooth reading of the text. Though it's an intriguing idea, as something may be discovered that can be linked to a Ra Q&A that would help the reader. For instance, the bio-rhythms tool.

For now, we decided Tobey would continue as he always has, receiving any suggestions someone may have and adding those he determines will be beneficial. (Considering he's the world's foremost authority on the content of the Law of One material, a Ra purist, and creator of the greatest best tool for Law of One study, I think he's eminently qualified to call the shots in this regard.)

Your other idea for the thumbnail/full size picture is good as well. If the forum software supports that, I'm certainly interested. Personally I would like to see the forums/website have more of the interconnectedness between member accounts and versatility that Facebook uses.

(09-10-2013, 11:00 PM)Light of Wisdom Wrote: [ -> ]With maybe a classier subtitle:
How Most Channeled Information is Applesauce.
How Most Channeled Information is Folderol
How Most Channeled Information is Flapdoodle

= )

Thanks for the additional emoticons. Some of them <ahem> may not make the cut.

I have added it to Steve's task list (just the way our process works). So Bring4th will get a whole new set of emoticons, but it may not be till the new site goes live, which hopefully will happen Dec 25.

Lots of love,
Gary
Quote:Effectively using a bullet-point list, you have spoken to my heart. : )

I will stop aiming bullets at your heart now!
How is your fundraiser going? (I just moved you nearer the goal.)
(09-28-2013, 05:58 AM)Anchor Wrote: [ -> ]How is your fundraiser going? (I just moved you nearer the goal.)

Hello Anchor. My apologies, I just saw this post. We were just over halfway to the goal when the fundraiser for the website project closed. At the last minute, a generous donor chipped in the rest, and we reached the goal. Thanks for helping out!!

With love/light, GLB

PS: For any who may be interested: we had hoped to be a lot further along in the website unification project by this point. Alas, there have been obstacles, principally the challenges Steve has faced since moving Bring4th over to a VPS (Virtual Private Server). He thinks and hopes, however, that those troubles are over so that we can begin moving full steam ahead with the creation of the new website.
Thanks, you've done a lot of work on this. God bless you for all of your efforts.
I usually read the transcripts, and think organizing them in a variety of ways would be great. I would like to be able to continue to search them by date as they are now, as it helps me see the development of the meditation group's thought line and their questions regarding occurrences during the days of the meditations, such as 2001. I also have a listing of the day's Quote by date which I hope to maintain by date.
Will donate when cash comes into the business!
Cosmiclady
(07-29-2013, 02:09 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2013, 01:19 AM)Bring4th_Admin Wrote: [ -> ] Financial assistance: Our goal is to raise $3,000 to pay for all hosting-related expenses (bandwidth/storage/hardware/software/3rd-party services), and to extend some support for Steve for the enormous investment of time and energy he will be devoting to this project. Given the increased requirements and scope of the project this time around, Steve happily agreed to provide web development services at a deeply discounted rate.

my word is my bond: 100 bucks donated.

namaste

you're just great Garry
I helped out with $100 after the other generous donator helped with the remainder. So my $100 was in excess to what you needed. This donation was a little hard for me, because I owe a large federal debt.
Welcome my brothers and sisters I am the Naacal Priest from Khem known as Amon Ra, as a Light Warrior and empath I have been tasked to light pathway to the temple of RA known as the L/L Research Foundation and assist the Light Workers in awakening during the "Harvest"..

There are many who the thin veil of forgetfulness was been lifted from them and they now seek to join us at the table to partake of the fruits of wisdom thus our mission is clear to light the way..

As it is above.. So shall it be below..

11:11
(03-27-2014, 03:38 PM)lawman3030 Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome my brothers and sisters I am the Naacal Priest from Khem known as Amon Ra, as a Light Warrior and empath I have been tasked to light pathway to the temple of RA known as the L/L Research Foundation and assist the Light Workers in awakening during the "Harvest"..

There are many who the thin veil of forgetfulness was been lifted from them and they now seek to join us at the table to partake of the fruits of wisdom thus our mission is clear to light the way..

As it is above.. So shall it be below..

11:11

Welcome from another Ra fan.
Hello, everyone!

I’m writing to give a quick update on current development efforts for the upcoming version of LLResearch’s library site, which will be combined with Bring4th. I was asked to give an update because there was an indication given (once the project got underway) that we would be wrapping up development by a certain time period, which is nearing. While there has been the normal expected progress surrounding the planning phase of choosing our technologies and VPS host, the development phase has experienced a few unforeseen technical hurdles, in addition to my own (unexpected and rather extreme) personal catalyst. The combination of these two forces have thrown a wrench into my projected timeline which pursued an aggressive development schedule. But I will continue to report on the current state, as it stands at this time so that everyone can at least stay attuned to where we are.

Progress continues to be made on developing LLResearch.org while merging Bring4th into it. The new Virtual Private Server (VPS) server environment has been successfully set up as a “staging” environment for development. While not accessible to the public by intention, an offline web environment allows development to continue behind the scenes so that any developers or volunteers who eventually perform work to move content can do so without interfering with the current Bring4th.org and LLResearch.org site.

Let’s discuss the applications that are being merged together to support LLResearch. The latest versions of the chat program and MyBB forums are carrying over into the new site. These have been working well for the organization thus far, and both applications integrate with each other, so we will continue using them. The forums are also considered "critical infrastructure" since we not only use the forums to carry a majority of our community communication, but we also employ the forum’s user management system to authenticate users across the various applications within Bring4th. This means once you log into Bring4th one time, you will not have to log in separately for the chat system, then log in again to see the blog area, then log in again to see the store, etc. For the upcoming release of LLResearch.org, we hope to extend this user management capability to the selected e-commerce storefront solution, which will likely be Magento.

While those systems were easy to set up because they are their own independent application, there are a few remaining pieces that do require some “heavy lifting”, as far as coding goes. The Content Management System (CMS) is a custom piece that is being developed right now. A database management application (layer) is managing all page data in a SQL database, which means that all of LLResearch.org’s channeled content, newsletters, speeches, and international texts will be imported into this system. I am currently working to develop the WYSIWYG editor and page manager that will allow designated volunteers and users to add content to the site, where needed. A secondary administrative step is being added that will allow LLResearch staff or designated volunteers to review and approve content before it is posted to the site. Once the CMS system is finished being developed and tested, we will roll out the proverbial welcome mat and ask for volunteers to take on the role of transferring old site content into the new database system. Doing this transfer one time will allow the data to remain in a portable "vehicle" in case the content needs to be moved again for future versions of LLResearch.org.

This is a major improvement over the static solution in use now, since each page’s visual elements, theme, and content are mixed together and cannot be separated efficiently. The current style on LLResearch.org makes it very difficult to rebrand/reskin the interface or to move the data from one physical site into another since all content and visual pieces are represented within their unique file system.

The Magento store is the next application that will require attention due to the increase of complexity over the old store. The store has been set up and it looks promising. Thankfully, Austin has volunteered to take a look at the store and to become familiar with it so that he can manage product creation, tax and shipping tables, and become comfortable with the administrative system, in general.

I am continuing to solve a few issues that came up in the linking of the applications that I described above. The applications proved to be a bit more complex than they were in 2008 when I put together the first Bring4th site. Many of our solutions have their own user systems, so it requires uprooting/bypassing the old system and marrying it to the forum user management system. This is not like pressing a setting button and calling it a day. In many cases, the applications are secure in that they call upon your own user session to make sure the person calling the page is who they say they are. So if I manage to get the user login to become bypassed, I have to make sure every other page on the site also bypasses its own user session check, and instead checks that of the forum—our defacto user system. This becomes even more complicated since we are merging Bring4th into LLResearch.org, which has its own challenges to convey configuration settings that were set up for Bring4th, and rewiring everything to point to the new llresearch.org domain. While doing that, testing needs to be performed on both the desktop and mobile versions of the site to ensure that these two types of users can see the content on both device types.

And lastly, some custom export scripts need to still be written to export the forum databases to the new site. There is no easy way to export the data onto a new domain altogether since we set up the forums for Bring4th back in 2008, and made some database decisions that we have since outgrown. So the migration of the forums is proving to be a little more difficult than first conceived.

Next on the agenda after the user management is worked out is to integrate the blogging system. I have selected a system called Serendipity, which I hope will satisfy the bill when it comes to linking it into llresearch’s user system. This still remains an unknown, as I just haven’t been able to get to it yet. It would be great to go with a Wordpress type site, but unfortunately it is not designed to share its one code base with many user accounts. Assuming the Serendipity system does satisfy the needs of LLResearch, I will then have to write a script that exports all of our Chipmunk blog posts and creates new records within Serendipity. Similar to the forums, there is no easy way to “cut and paste” data from one system to another without writing a program that will move thousands of pages automatically and at once.

Lastly, I need to develop a management system to control all of the preferences and settings, much like like you currently see in the Dashboard area of Bring4th. This is something that I can develop after the main site is launched, but it needs to be done at the end and will remain (for now) as pending work.

So that’s where I am in the moment, in the thick of development, but not too much further from the end. I do not have an estimated completion time, but I told Gary and L/L Research that I’d like to have everything done (or at least all of the core components) before this summer. If you have any questions about the development efforts, feel free to write to me directly at webguy@llresearch.org. I’m not following threads on Bring4th at the moment, so I invite you to write to me instead of commenting.

Thanks!
Steve
Pages: 1 2