Bring4th

Full Version: Hearing Voices Network: for people who hear voices, see visions or have other unusual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This information was sent to us by an old friend of L/L. Thought it might prove a helpful resource for some. : ) Gary

http://www.hearing-voices.org/about-us/

"The first UK hearing Voices group was formed in 1988 in Manchester.

It was inspired by the pioneering work of Professor Marius Romme and Sondra Escher from Maastricht University, and a Dutch self help group, Foundation Resonance.

Following a national conference held in London in 1990, the Independent on Sunday newspaper published a prominent article on the topic which generated a lot of correspondence. As a result we decided to establish a network of voice hearers and individuals who were interested in the experience of hearing voices.

In 1989 the Manchester group organised a speaking tour in the north of England for Marius Romme and his colleagues Sondra Escher and Anse Graf. The meetings were well attended by people who hear voices, their relatives, friends and carers and interested mental health professional’s.

Since this time the work of the Network has been well reported in publications such as Open Mind, journals, local and national newspapers and the broadcasting media. Members of the group have continued to maintain a relationship with Rome and Escher, regularly visiting and attending conferences in Maastricht and throughout the world.

Hearing voices has been regarded by psychiatry as ‘auditory hallucinations’, and in many cases a symptom of schizophrenia. However not everyone who hears voices has a diagnosis of schizophrenia. There are conflicting theories from psychiatrists, psychologists and voice hearers about why people do hear voices . We believe that they are similar to dreams, symbols of our unconscious minds. Although the Network is open to many diverse opinions we accept the explanation of each individual voice hearer.

Traditionally, the usual treatment for voice hearing has been major tranquillisers, administered to reduce the delusions and hallucinations. However not everyone responds to this treatment. There are some psychiatrists and psychologists who now work with people who hear voices using talking therapies and exploring the meaning of the voices.

Although this is not yet ‘the norm’, this practice is increasing. As the improvement in individuals who are encouraged to talk about their voices becomes more apparent and increasing number of health professionals are beginning to understand that the key to understanding voices lies in the ‘content’ of the voices."
I once heard many boom sounds, like bangs that i thought at the time were big bang sounds. I thought at that time that I was raising up in density to where I could hear them. It goes to show that what I've learned has heavily influenced the experience I had. Much of my difficult lessons and hallucinations were based in the Law of One. It has been difficult to follow in the footsteps of Ra because of the trouble I have had with their distortions, and my own.

When I was hearing voices I never questioned them, thinking it was God talking to me. It turned out he had me doing stuff that I later regretted, but have since forgiven myself for. I was even so arrogant as to put down Lucifer as if God were working through me and God was an enemy of Lucifer. Religious teachings really got to me.

I've been labeled as schizophrenic with bipolar. They also have me on an anti-depressant, which I think is working. I don't get suicidal thoughts anymore, which I did when I was just on my psych meds. I've heard psych meds can cause some suicides. I have to be careful not to use them as an excuse for suicide, as I've often wanted to die.
In many cultures and belief systems hearing voices is considered natural, and the issue is understood and handled according to the context of the person's culture and belief system (something psychiatrists and psychologists have started to consider when understanding client's situation as suppose to being quick to label everything as psychosis). There was a lovely lecture series called Mystic Heart that zenmaster shared with me. Ken Wilber and Wayne Tilsdale touches upon this issue in part-5 of the series (the whole series is very good, examining mystical experiences). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqYBAdAYffc (Part 5 - Pyschosis or Mystical State?). 'By the fruits you should know them'.
Thanks Rie for posting the link to the "Mystic Heart" series! Ken Wilber sits near the head of the main table in the pantheon of my core sources of information regarding spiritual evolution. Part 5 was most good, though I got the sense that their criticism of CWG was made using with minimum familiarity of the material. I will watch the others when time permits.
I do not generally "hear voices", but there is one particular exception: for some years, I have, upon occasion, heard my name shouted or called loudly: "Eddie!" When this happens, it is usually late at night, and the voice is always female, and usually a relative: my mother, my wife, etc., and the call always sounds urgent and frantic, and always startles me. I cannot tell you how many times I have been awakened at 3 or 4 AM by this. Of course, the putative source of the voice is always sound asleep. I have no idea what this phenomenon portends; it's quite a mystery.
I try to only talk to the voices in my head if I'm meditating now. Occasionally, I'll be vulnerable in the semi-conscious state after having woken from a dream and will have an extended conversation with a negative entity/my ego/subconscious/shadow.

The benefit of this practice is the perceived alteration of consciousness that is immediately experienced through this discipline. I could re-cultivate the perception that I can communicate with unincarnate entities all the time, but without the detachment from my ego that meditation provides it's easy to detune at a moment's notice. (and can still be even while meditating as I'm clearing some distortions from my period of being completely ungrounded)
Gary, what do you think Ken Wilber will say if he read the Ra Material? lol