Bring4th

Full Version: Left-Brain or Right-Brain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just for fun: Does the lady spin clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Scroll down ONLY to the bottom of the picture of the spinning lady, then stop. Don't cheat! Watch her for a few minutes and observe the direction, before scrolling down any further.

http://www.mindmotivations.com/resources...brain-test
Not to be a party pooper but

http://neurosciencenews.com/neuroimaging...Updates%29.

Quote:But newly released research findings from University of Utah neuroscientists assert that there is no evidence within brain imaging that indicates some people are right-brained or left-brained.

For years in popular culture, the terms left-brained and right-brained have come to refer to personality types, with an assumption that some people use the right side of their brain more, while some use the left side more.

Following a two-year study, University of Utah researchers have debunked that myth through identifying specific networks in the left and right brain that process lateralized functions.
Oh you're not being a party-pooper at all! In fact, I totally agree that no one is totally left- or right- brained. We all use both. I especially disagree with the myth that right-handed people are left-brained and left-handed people are right-brained. Hogwash!

But, in that moment that we are viewing the dancing lady, one hemisphere is dominant. If she spins in one direction or the other predominately, that could be a clue as to which hemisphere tends to be more dominant most of the time. That part makes sense to me.

The study you cited just says that

Quote:newly released research findings from University of Utah neuroscientists assert that there is no evidence within brain imaging that indicates some people are right-brained or left-brained.

...which just means that they couldn't measure it using that particular type of brain imaging. There is a lot they cannot yet measure, such as intuition, psychic ability, etc.
At first glance she was counterclockwise and looking closer saw clockwise and couldn't see any other way. I then looked again after seeing the results and it was counter-clockwise. But the clockwise was easier to see. So I guess I was mostly right brained in that test.
At first, for several seconds she kept switching back and forth, and even getting stuck in the still position. Then she started spinning clockwise and for a long time wouldn't change. Then I wondered if I could make her change, and sure 'nuff, right after that she went counter-clockwise! But only for a few seconds, then went back to clockwise. So I kept trying to make her switch and could do it almost at will, but had to really concentrate to keep her going counter-clockwise. As soon as I relaxed, back she went to clockwise! So clockwise was her natural, easy direction, whereas counter- took some effort.

Then my husband looked and had almost the identical result. He too could make her switch. Here's the cool part: We both watched at the same time, but she'd be going in one direction for me, while opposite for him! Then one of us would switch and we'd be in sync, then one of us would switch again and we'd be opposite again. But there was no pattern to it. So it's definitely a brain thing and not the program.

Unbound

I know how to cause the direction to switch by focusing on the foot. It is sort of like letting yourself be tricked by the illusion intentionally. Observation causes a change in what is observed, synergistically.
I've seen this before...can make it go both ways, as Tanner says, by looking at the foot.
This is a phenomenon called bistable perception. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistable_perception

Quote:The spinning girl is a form of the more general spinning silhouette illusion. The image is not objectively “spinning” in one direction or the other. It is a two-dimensional image that is simply shifting back and forth. But our brains did not evolve to interpret two-dimensional representations of the world but the actual three-dimensional world. So our visual processing assumes we are looking at a 3-D image and is uses clues to interpret it as such. Or, without adequate clues it may just arbitrarily decide a best fit – spinning clockwise or counterclockwise. And once this fit is chosen, the illusion is complete – we see a 3-D spinning image.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...ning-girl/
(08-17-2013, 05:57 AM)Steppenwolf Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen this before...can make it go both ways, as Tanner says, by looking at the foot.

I didn't look at the foot and it still worked...I'll have to try it that way and see if it's easier.
totally clockwise/right brained...if I tried really hard I could see it go counter/left for a bit.
(08-17-2013, 02:12 PM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]totally clockwise/right brained...if I tried really hard I could see it go counter/left for a bit.

Same here. For a split second, I could see the switch, and then it would reverse back to clockwise.

It'd be interesting to test after performing different mental activities.
Can you guys see it going back and forth and not spinning? That's the illusion.

There is limited use for optical illusion like this spinning dancer to assess personality (right/left brain) or mental states. Your left hand or right hand dominance (which hand you use primarily for writing, eating, etc) is actually a better indicator of which hemisphere of the brain is dominant.

Unbound

It took me half a minute but I was able to view it as moving back and forth. What I found most interesting was my mind's insistence on the three-dimensionality of the silhouette.
Kind of says how powerful our minds are to interpret something that's not there lol

Unbound

When I was reading one of the books of the Seth channeling by Jane Roberts I always found it interesting when he mentioned that when we incarnate we take on or accept certain fundamental belief structures which bias us to allow us to interact within the incarnative form.

Also, it wouldn't appear as 3D if there was no shading or texture in the background or the shadow/reflection below.
I think belief structures are 'imbedded' in one's personal unconscious, which is built & maintained based on one's life experience. So if one were to 'plan' the sort of life lessons to be learned (choosiing parents, family, etc) prior to incarnation, it's possible that we incarnate to take/accept certain belief structures.

I think this right/left brain personality could be more closely related to Jungian typology e.g., being INFP etc. One could say having NF (intuitive feeling) as the primary function, they would seem more 'right brain' compared to those who are ST (sensing thinking), who would more closely resemble 'left brain'. There's also P perception and J judgment which could point to being 'right' and 'left', respectively.

Brain laterization: if you're left handed, you're most likely using a lot of the right hemisphere, while if you are right handed most of your activities lies in the left hemisphere. That's one way to understand dominance. That doesn't really correlate to personality tho.

Here's a simple hemispheric test that measures how information is processed according to the characteristics that we attribute to 'right' and 'left' brain. The test is simple bc it gives you 2 options and you can guess which one points to 'right' or 'left' characteristics so it's not really a good test but the idea is that there are divergent ways of being. And of course, we use both sides, always or else you would have major cognitive problems (if you're just using one side). If your corpus collasum (the bridge between the left and right hemisphere of the brain) is 'thick' you're probably able to use both sides more equally.

http://capone.mtsu.edu/studskl/hd/hemisp...nance.html

I have right brain dominance according to this test.
Holistic Processing information from whole to part; sees the big picture first, not the details.
Random Processing information with out priority, jumps form one task to another.
Concrete Processes things that can be seen , or touched - real objects.
Intuitive Processes information based on whether or not it feels right know answer but not sure how it was derived.
Nonverbal Processes thought as illustrations.
Fantasy-Oriented Processes information with creativity; less focuses on rules and regulations
(08-17-2013, 06:16 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]I think belief structures are 'imbedded' in one's personal unconscious, which is built & maintained based on one's life experience. So if one were to 'plan' the sort of life lessons to be learned (choosiing parents, family, etc) prior to incarnation, it's possible that we incarnate to take/accept certain belief structures.

I think this right/left brain personality could be more closely related to Jungian typology e.g., being INFP etc. One could say having NF (intuitive feeling) as the primary function, they would seem more 'right brain' compared to those who are ST (sensing thinking), who would more closely resemble 'left brain'. There's also P perception and J judgment which could point to being 'right' and 'left', respectively.

Brain laterization: if you're left handed, you're most likely using a lot of the right hemisphere, while if you are right handed most of your activities lies in the left hemisphere. That's one way to understand dominance. That doesn't really correlate to personality tho.

Here's a simple hemispheric test that measures how information is processed according to the characteristics that we attribute to 'right' and 'left' brain. The test is simple bc it gives you 2 options and you can guess which one points to 'right' or 'left' characteristics so it's not really a good test but the idea is that there are divergent ways of being. And of course, we use both sides, always or else you would have major cognitive problems (if you're just using one side). If your corpus collasum (the bridge between the left and right hemisphere of the brain) is 'thick' you're probably able to use both sides more equally.

http://capone.mtsu.edu/studskl/hd/hemisp...nance.html

I have right brain dominance according to this test.
Holistic Processing information from whole to part; sees the big picture first, not the details.
Random Processing information with out priority, jumps form one task to another.
Intuitive Processes information based on whether or not it feels right know answer but not sure how it was derived.
Fantasy-Oriented Processes information with creativity; less focuses on rules and regulations

My results were exactly the same in that test lol

I got 15 questions related to right brain dominence and 4 to left
You responded as a right brained person to 12 questions, and you responded as a left brained person to 7 questions. According to the Hemispheric Dominance test, you use your right brain the most.