Bring4th

Full Version: Powder.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just watched the movie Powder...and it is powerful. I was very moved by many scenes. If you have not seen it, I highly suggest you do...

Melissa

Thanks for the tip, I was just searching for an interesting movie/documentary.

Bat

Just had a look through the link , looks good. I will watch it. Thanks
(08-31-2013, 04:10 PM)Turtle Wrote: [ -> ]I just watched the movie Powder...and it is powerful. I was very moved by many scenes. If you have not seen it, I highly suggest you do...

I watched it at the theater when it first came out. I think I cried the whole second half, and when it ended, my boyfriend and I were so moved and speechless we had to sit there for minutes before we could leave. Sounds melodramatic, but we both found the movie very impactful.

At the time, there was a huge campaign to dis the movie by spreading rumors that the director was a child molester. I personally knew many people who would not see the movie because of that. I did the research and found out that the director was accused of statutory rape, (and I don't remember the exact ages but this is close) with a 17-yr-old girl when he was 18 or 19. I"m not a conspiracy theorist, but it was my contention at the time that this rumor-mongering was put into place to keep this amazing movie from empowering people.

I bought the DVD, but when I watch it I have to fast-forward past the deer part. Too sad for me, but so important to show.

Melissa

Beautiful, heartwrenching story. Heart

Bat

I just watched it and thought it was a bit melodramatic and borderline homoerotic at points. However over all it was a good movie. 4/5
(09-01-2013, 05:43 AM)Bat Wrote: [ -> ]I just watched it and thought it was a bit melodramatic and borderline homoerotic at points. However over all it was a good movie. 4/5

I understand where you saw it to be borderline homoerotic, but I do not agree. There was only one scene towards the end that I feel had that quality with certainty, and yet he is so odd and childlike about it that I almost feel that the creator of the movie was trying to show that Powder may or may not be naturally bisexual.

It's so minor a thing in the movie too, I wonder why put it in at all? Maybe as just another angle to 'attack' the general viewing audience's preconceptions and solid beliefs about how humans should and should not be...*shrugs*

Bat

Don't get me wrong i thought it was a great scene in the movie but it was a little bit random. Tongue
(09-01-2013, 07:46 AM)Turtle Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2013, 05:43 AM)Bat Wrote: [ -> ]I just watched it and thought it was a bit melodramatic and borderline homoerotic at points. However over all it was a good movie. 4/5

I understand where you saw it to be borderline homoerotic, but I do not agree. There was only one scene towards the end that I feel had that quality with certainty, and yet he is so odd and childlike about it that I almost feel that the creator of the movie was trying to show that Powder may or may not be naturally bisexual.

It's so minor a thing in the movie too, I wonder why put it in at all? Maybe as just another angle to 'attack' the general viewing audience's preconceptions and solid beliefs about how humans should and should not be...*shrugs*

I did not find it melodramatic at all, and I personally am very intellectual and not given to melodrama. The drama in it seemed very appropriate to the subject matter, eg: killing a deer, communicating with a non-communicative loved one. I would however, call it a tear-jerker. Smile

How strange to mention a homoerotic angle. I'm female, so perhaps I don't count in this case, but I never even noticed anything like that. I'm still not sure what this is referring to.

(09-01-2013, 05:43 AM)Bat Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get me wrong i thought it was a great scene in the movie but it was a little bit random.

And I saw this scene as the very center of what the message was. (Of course, it's all subjective anyway.) That all things are connected.
I liked the lightning at the end. One thing I don't remember, did he disappear at the end with the lightning?
(09-01-2013, 01:05 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I liked the lightning at the end. One thing I don't remember, did he disappear at the end with the lightning?

Yes, he did. It looked as though his atoms just expanded like a "big bang."

I liked the ending, too. It was awesome at the theater on a big screen. The whole audience was blown away. Smile
(09-01-2013, 01:02 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]How strange to mention a homoerotic angle. I'm female, so perhaps I don't count in this case, but I never even noticed anything like that. I'm still not sure what this is referring to.

When Powder has that long stare at the other dude in the bathroom...the way it was shot (from my perspective) was almost as if to show that Powder was taken by surprise by the beauty of the male physical form, but not necessarily in an erotic sense. A male watching the movie might see it that way, and a female might not. It's verrrry subtle...plus the whole time watching the movie, I was having much fun trying to guess at what such a hyper-intelligent being might be thinking during certain shots where he is silent.

Personally, I find that many times (especially at work) people highly misread my facial expressions, and give me reactions that throw ME off! lol. So In looking at the character of Powder, it was really fun to imagine him thinking in that scene something like... "My god, that physical form could easily be used to kill or maim if he set his mind to it...such power! I could never make friends with a mind like his!" ....yet if you don't try to think the way that character probably was thinking, you'll definitely have a reaction like the "bully" character who steps up and starts calling him gay and then threatens him, lol.

Melissa

I thougt that scene was very poignant. There were many scenes where I felt some kind of familiarity, due to his behavior. When he explained to the girl how people communicate etc., I was silently cheering. Smile This is a kind of movie that lingers for a long time afterwards.
I can't play the video well, because it hangs up and stops every few minutes. I got to "that's not my son" and it just locked up. YouTube doesn't stream well for me lately.