Bring4th

Full Version: Correlations between Ra and Carl Jung
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was the basis for my Homecoming presentation this year. Please note that I'm by no means an expert in Jung's theories. While I've done plenty of reading on the subject and feel like I have somewhat of a grasp on central concepts, I'm very much an amateur. I plan on expanding on this project and going into more detail in the future. Thanks to zenmaster and rie for help in clarifying some concepts and inspiration to explore Jung.

After feeling like I had reached a certain depth of understanding in the Ra material I branched out to gain a different perspective, and the direction I found myself drawn to was Carl Jung. One of the topics in the Law of One I found to be most fruitful was the descriptions of the functions of the conscious and unconscious mind. In hearing people reference Jung, it seem to me that he viewed the dance between the conscious mind and the unconscious mind very similarly to Ra, understanding the vast resources of the unconscious mind.

The more I read about Jung's work the more it became obvious he was touched on many of the exact same concepts discussed in the Ra material using very different words. The understanding I gained through Ra fit perfectly in with almost everything I learned about Jung's views. It helped me grasp many things I would not have otherwise understood. The opposite also being true, my understanding of the Ra material grew as I grasped Jung's perspective.

It would be an extremely lengthy and time-consuming endeavor to try to draw every correlation and map out how well they compliment each other. For the purposes of this presentation, I'll look at some of the core concepts within Jungian psychology and explain how I feel they connect so clearly back to Ra.

Projection
Jung defined projection as “the expulsion of a subjective content into an object; it is the opposite of introjection. Accordingly, it is a process of dissimilation, by which a subjective content becomes alienated from the subject and is, so to speak, embodied in the object.”

Ra proposes that other-selves can serve as a mirror for us, reflecting back our true nature, particularly so for those along the right-hand path.

Quote:19.13 “The quickest way to learn is to deal with other-selves. This is a much greater catalyst than dealing with the self. Dealing with the self without other-selves is akin to living without what you would call mirrors. Thus, the self cannot see the fruits of its beingness. Thus, each may aid each by reflection.”

Quote:99.8 “Those upon the right-hand path have no such protection against other-selves for upon that path the doughty seeker shall find many mirrors for reflection in each other-self it encounters.”

In the Jungian sense, projection is a very unconscious act. We hardly ever realize exactly how our biases form our perception until catalyst draws our attention to a particular bias and we choose to explore it. Ra also described perception as being mostly unconscious:

Quote:93.20 “All that you perceive seems to be consciously perceived. This is not the correct supposition. All that you perceive is perceived as catalyst unconsciously. By the, shall we say, time that the mind begins its appreciation of catalyst, that catalyst has been filtered through the veil and in some cases much is veiled in the most apparently clear perception.”

It can easily be concluded from both Jung and Ra's views that our much of what we perceive is a reflection of our own being, and is a useful mechanic for discovering our own distortions and biases.

The Shadow
The idea of the Shadow is a central concept in Jung's work and understanding his view of the psyche as a whole being, with every person containing the entire spectrum of human behavior within themselves. Jung very simply described the Shadow as “the person that we’d rather not be.” Another description from Jung is that the Shadow is “the repository of what is unacceptable to consciousness.”

The Shadow is a powerful tool when dealing with psychoanalysis, which is most helpful for working on the lower three energy centers. For someone on the Service to Others path, an unrealized Shadow might be seen as blockages in these lower chakras. The Shadow is most easily seen in this case through projection. When we do not accept something within ourselves, we avoid addressing this inner attribute and look outwards, judging others in order to not judge ourselves. To realize and accept these aspects of shadow would be recognizing and clearing blockages.

The idea that the shadow will eventually bleed through in our perceptions and actions if it goes unrealized seems to be the same idea that blockages in the lower chakras may be expressed without our awareness when we are confronted by catalyst which meets this blockage. Accepting the Shadow would lead to clearing the blockages.

When discussing mental discipline, Ra explains the importance of realizing our consciousness as whole, including those things we'd rather not accept about ourselves.

Quote:5.2 “The second mental discipline is acceptance of the completeness within your consciousness. It is not for a being of polarity in the physical consciousness to pick and choose among attributes, thus building the roles that cause blockages and confusions in the already-distorted mind complex. Each acceptance smoothes part of the many distortions that the faculty you call judgment engenders.”

However, when we realize and accept the Shadow self, we are not abolishing or getting rid of our Shadow. It may be integrated and accepted, but it is still present as we continue working up the energy center system and begin work in polarization.

Ra says many times that the Choice is integral in polarization of consciousness. The concepts of both polarization and choice suggest that there is another option which is not being expressed. To choose one thing over another, there must be one thing we're not choosing. To polarize in any context means there must be an opposite polarity. This is seen clearly in Ra's description of the workings of polarization.

Quote:94.12 “As the entity increases in experience it shall, more and more, choose positive interpretations of catalyst if it is upon the service-to-others path and negative interpretations of catalyst if its experience has been along the service-to-self path.”

Q'uo has often said “the brighter one's light, the sharper the shadow.” As we refine the choice and continue polarization, our Shadow is consistent on our path, always the choice we decide not to make. When we have the choice to promote harmony or separation, and we choose harmony, then separation reposited into our Shadow. While we are here in third density our Shadow will persist, and it can aid us in growing our acceptance of self and other-self, and help us in realizing the completeness within ourselves. If we maintain our awareness and acceptance of the Shadow self, it remains a powerful tool as we continue our journey.

Persona
The Persona is another central concept within Jungian theory. The Persona is most easily seen as the various masks we might put on when we face society. The Persona can include many things such as gender identity, stage of social development (such as adolescence), social status, job or profession, etc. When we wear our Persona, we behave in ways which we believe society would expect us to act. We must have a persona in order to function within society, otherwise we'd have no real clear sense of how to interact with others, especially those we meet in relation to our social identity.

When we're young we don't have a real sense of Persona, but we quickly adopt one as we learn from our parents and from society what is acceptable behavior. A person who has a weak Persona may not be able to function well in society because they are stuck within their own world without a good way to relate to others on a social level, while a person who has an over-bearing persona may identify too heavily with their social identity and have a weak sense of self outside of society, making it difficult to relate with others or with self on a personal level.

The Persona acts as an interface between our inner-selves and others in society, or as a filter between our unconscious and conscious expressions.

When discussing our societal self, Ra often refers to the orange and, more frequently, the yellow energy centers. The Persona determines how we interact with others, and the “yellow ray is the ray of self-awareness and interaction.” (41.25) Our relationship to society and our place within society are functions of yellow ray, and the Persona is essentially our social identity. The weak and over-bearing Persona may be seen as a blocked or overactive yellow ray. When we have a consistent persona which is in line with our true inner-selves, we may be approaching a clear functioning yellow ray. This attribute of realization of self interacting socially is the unique attribute of third density and highlights the important of having a consistent, true, and balanced persona with which to face the world.

Enantiodromia
Enantiodromia is a term Jung borrowed from the Greek language which means “running contrariwise.” In context to Jung's theories, it more specially means “eventually everything turns into its opposite.” This is useful for psychoanalysis when it is realized that if an extreme one-sided stance exists in consciousness, the psyche will essentially force a balance of this imbalanced position. Enantiodromia is another example of Jung drawing upon the concept of the human psyche being a whole and complete thing rather than fragments of various human behavior.

A common example of enantiodromia would be the mid-life crisis, where a person breaks down after having lived their life in a one-sided way, neglecting aspects of their own consciousness until eventually they break through and cause the person to behave in a way that is contrary to their normal behavior.

One of the central themes within the Ra material is that of balance, particularly the balance of the mind, our consciousness, our psyche. The ideas of balance and enantiodromia are very powerful tools for self-discovery and discipline of the mind. Ra highlights various exercises in which one may benefit from recognizing the innate balance in our psyches.

Quote:5.2 “The polarity of your dimension must be internalized. Where you find patience within your mind you must consciously find the corresponding impatience and vice versa. Each thought that a being has, has in its turn an antithesis. The disciplines of the mind involve, first of all, identifying both those things of which you approve and those things of which you disapprove within yourself, and then balancing each and every positive and negative charge with its equal. The mind contains all things. Therefore, you must discover this completeness within yourself.
In each entity there exists completeness. Thus, the ability to understand each balance is necessary. When you view patience, you are responsible for mirroring in your mental understanding, patience/impatience. When you view impatience, it is necessary for your mental configuration of understanding to be impatience/patience.”

Ra also talks about the difficulties which arise when we attempt to overcome desires, creating imbalance:

Quote:18.5 “We have found it to be inappropriate in the extreme to encourage the overcoming of any desires, except to suggest the imagination rather than the carrying out in the physical plane, as you call it, of those desires not consonant with the Law of One; this preserving the primal distortion of free will.

The reason it is unwise to overcome is that overcoming is an unbalanced action creating difficulties in balancing in the time/space continuum. Overcoming thus creates the further environment for holding onto that which apparently has been overcome.

All things are acceptable in the proper time for each entity, and in experiencing, in understanding, in accepting, in then sharing with other-selves, the appropriate description shall be moving away from distortions of one kind to distortions of another which may be more consonant with the Law of One.

It is, shall we say, a shortcut to simply ignore or overcome any desire. It must instead be understood and accepted. This takes patience and experience which can be analyzed with care, with compassion for self and for other-self.”

Jim asked Ra a question which rendered an answer where Ra brought up the idea of each bias turning into its antithesis:

Quote:59.3 “Questioner: I have a question from Jim that states: “I think I have penetrated the mystery of my lifelong anger at making mistakes. I think I have always been aware subconsciously of my abilities to master new learnings, but my desire to successfully complete my mission on Earth has been energized by the Orion group into irrational and destructive anger when I fail. Could you comment on this observation?”
Ra: I am Ra. We would suggest that as this entity is aware of its position as a Wanderer, it may also consider what pre-incarnative decisions it undertook to make regarding the personal or self-oriented portion of the choosing to be here at this particular time/space. This entity is aware, as stated, that it has great potential, but potential for what? This is the pre-incarnative question. The work of sixth density is to unify wisdom and compassion. This entity abounds in wisdom. The compassion it is desirous of balancing has, as its antithesis, lack of compassion. In the more conscious being this expresses or manifests itself as lack of compassion for self. We feel this is the sum of suggested concepts for thought which we may offer at this time without infringement.”

It is of interest to note that the idea of enantiodromia was first recorded by Heraclitus who wrote, “cold things warm, warm things cool, wet things dry and parched things get wet.” Heraclitus is mentioned by Ra:

Quote:25.4 “There were isolated instances of callings, one such taking place beginning approximately [2,600] of your years in the past in what you would call Greece at this time and resulting in writings and understandings of some facets of the Law of One. We especially note the one known as Thales and the one known as Heraclitus, those being of the philosopher career, as you may call it, teaching their students.”

Anima/Animus
The concepts of the Anima and Animus are another extension of Jung's proposition that each human psyche is whole and within each of us is the complete human mind. It can most simply be described that within the unconscious of each female there is a male personality (the Animus), and within the unconscious of each male there is a female personality (Anima). Considering the idea that being biologically male or female will carry with it corresponding cultural and biological biases, these biases are balanced within the mind. Ra puts it in simple terms:

Quote:5.2 “Each biological male is female; each biological female is male.”

In Jungian theory, the Anima and Animus tend to be anthropomorphized archetypes and may appear in our unconscious as a person or, if unrealized, be projected out onto the opposite sex. There are stages of development of these contrasexual aspects of self similar to the development of our own conscious being. Since these personalities are completely internalized and largely unconscious, they can serve as a window or a interface to our unconscious minds. Using these inner personalities as tools correlates to what Ra says about the Matrix and Potentiator of the Mind being attracted to the biological sexes:

Quote:87.28 “When the veiling process was accomplished, to the male polarity was attracted the Matrix of the Mind and to the female, the Potentiator of the Mind; to the male the Potentiator of the Body, to the female the Matrix of the Body.”

Jung recognized that a male utilizing the Anima was much different from a female utilizing the Animus. They seemed to serve different functions for each different sex and the way in which each develops is markedly different from the other. This could be a result of the Matrix and Potentiator being attracted to their respective sexes. In utilizing our Anima or Animus, we engage a part of the mind which allows the dance between the conscious and unconscious to play out.

Individuation
Individuation is perhaps the most central concept within Jungian theory and is also one of the most difficult to concretely grasp. In the simplest of terms, it could be called the unfolding and development of our personality, or as Ra might say, the “discipline of the personality.” Jung attempted a simple explanation describing it as the “development of psychological individual as being distinct from the general collective psychology." Many psychoanalysts and psychologists work with the idea of individuation in simpler terms than Jung, but Jung's concept is more fleshed out and can be related to what Ra described as the path of the adept and becoming a conscious co-Creator.

According to Jung, one cannot begin to individuate until we have adapted and found firm personal and social footing within our lives. This would include the development of the Persona as discussed earlier, and can be related to the activation and balancing of the lower three energy centers. As we grow up we activate and develop the lower centers through basic experience and interaction as children and young adults. Jung described the development of these lower energy centers in his own words: “Before individuation can be taken as a goal, the educational aim of adaptation to the necessary minimum of collective norms must first be attained. If a plant is to unfold its specific nature to the full, it must first be able to grow in the soil in which it is planted.” These words highlight the importance of balancing lower energy centers before beginning work on higher centers. If we're successful in maintaining basic functioning in these centers, we may realize the concept of unconditional love applied to other-selves and self, potentiate blue ray, and begin our process of individuation.

Blue ray is key in this process of beginning both individuation and the path of the adept. Jung describes the difficulty of the process of individuation similarly to how Ra describes the difficulty of activating blue ray. Jung says, “To find out what is truly individual in ourselves, profound reflection is needed and suddenly we realize how uncommonly difficult the discovery of individuality is.” Ra says:

Quote:48.7 “There is always some difficulty in penetrating blue primary energy for it requires that which your people have in great paucity; that is, honesty.”

Profound reflection and blue ray honesty go hand in hand. The honesty required for blue ray is not a simple ability to truthfully convey how you feel, but the ability to identify things about yourself that are normally hiding or buried in the unconscious mind, things that we might not wish to know about ourselves and so we build walls around these truths.

Blue ray is commonly associated with outward communication as it is often called the throat chakra, but before outward communication of the true self may be expressed, there must be honest inward communication.

Quote:48.7 “Blue ray is the ray of free communication with self and with other-self.”

The reason this honesty towards the self is so important is because we grow up in an environment of social norms which we necessarily adopt as our own values. To examine these values and determine whether or not they are in-tune with our own individuality requires that we apply rigorous honesty.

In doing this, we start to break down and integrate the Persona which we developed in our earlier stages of development, no longer feeling the need to live up to social expectations and feeling more comfortable to live as we truly are. Jung talks about this freedom and how it is seen against the backdrop of previous social norms: “Individuation is always to some extent opposed to collective norms, since it means separation and differentiation from the general and building up of the particular – not a particularity that is sought out, but one that is already ingrained in the psychic constitution. The opposition to the collective norm, however, is only apparent, since closer examination shows that the individual standpoint is not antagonistic to it but only differently oriented.”

Ra talks about this freedom in similar terms:

Quote:80.10 “It is also to be noted that an adept is one which has freed itself more and more from the constraints of the thoughts, opinions, and bonds of other-selves. Whether this is done for service to others or service to self, it is a necessary part of the awakening of the adept. This freedom is seen by those not free as what you would call evil or black. The magic is recognized; the nature is often not.”

Ra points out here that the significance of blue ray in this process of freeing oneself from social expectations:

Quote:41.25 “Green ray is the movement through various experiences of energy exchanges having to do with compassion and all-forgiving love to the primary blue ray which is the first ray of radiation of self regardless of any actions from another.

The green-ray entity is ineffectual in the face of blockage from other-selves. The blue-ray entity is a co-Creator.”

Ra also agrees with the idea put forth by Jung that this particularity which leads to freedom isn't something which can be sought, but is something which is already a part of the individual.

Quote:75.23 “As the adept becomes a more and more consciously crystallized entity it gradually manifests more and more of that which it always has been since before time; that is, the One Infinite Creator.”

And so the more we are able to individuate, the more we are able to participate in our experience as conscious co-Creators and walk the steps of the adept who lives free. Jung believed that this freedom was essential to the health of ourselves as individuals and the health of our social complex: “Only a society that can preserve social cohesion and collective values while at the same time granting the individual the greatest possible freedom has any prospect of enduring vitality. As the individual is not just a single separate being, but by his very existence presupposes a collective relationship, the process of individuation must lead to more intense and broader collective relationships and not to isolation.”

If you'd like to know more about Jungian psychology, you can find a great podcast series by John Betts, a Jungian analyst, at this website:
http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Dire...cast/22576#

I used this podcast series as a basis for this presentation, so all of these concepts can be explored more fully there.
very good post.

the truth is inevitably rediscovered again and again ... bucuz ... well ... it happens to be the truth and the only thing that persists over time.

understanding the mind (and the processes of the mind) is what gives true empowerment.

things of the body and of the energy are secondary and temporary. Mind is first.

- -

(09-04-2013, 12:08 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]After feeling like I had reached a certain depth of understanding in the Ra material I branched out to gain a different perspective, and the direction I found myself drawn to was Carl Jung. One of the topics in the Law of One I found to be most fruitful was the descriptions of the functions of the conscious and unconscious mind. In hearing people reference Jung, it seem to me that he viewed the dance between the conscious mind and the unconscious mind very similarly to Ra, understanding the vast resources of the unconscious mind.

personal question: where do you think your current learnings are tending towards? (ie having worked on understanding the interplay between the conscious and the unconscious, where is the next step, or the next body of insights in your journey?)
Considering the work involved in integrating shadow and navigating the unconscious, "next step" seems rather absurd.
(09-04-2013, 01:36 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the work involved in integrating shadow and navigating the unconscious, "next step" seems rather absurd.

yep
(09-04-2013, 07:38 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2013, 12:08 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]After feeling like I had reached a certain depth of understanding in the Ra material I branched out to gain a different perspective, and the direction I found myself drawn to was Carl Jung. One of the topics in the Law of One I found to be most fruitful was the descriptions of the functions of the conscious and unconscious mind. In hearing people reference Jung, it seem to me that he viewed the dance between the conscious mind and the unconscious mind very similarly to Ra, understanding the vast resources of the unconscious mind.

personal question: where do you think your current learnings are tending towards? (ie having worked on understanding the interplay between the conscious and the unconscious, where is the next step, or the next body of insights in your journey?)

As zenmaster implied, I think that grasping our individuality through exploration of shadow and unconscious are probably life-long works. I'm not sure what adept work lies beyond that, aside from refining the service which may be given as a result of this exploration. I know that there are extremely advanced methods of magical working and exploration of spirituality and self but these things I think will reveal themselves if and when the time is right.

As for the next area of exploration, I feel as though Carl Jung might be another life-long supplement to my spiritual understandings in the same way that the Law of One is. I certainly plan on continuing to explore and refine not only my understandings of his work but also working on expanding this synthesis. This was condensed into a 30 minute talk for Homecoming, where I feel there is really no end to the correlations that could be discussed.

GLB and I both had similar Homecoming presentations this year in that we both attempted to synthesize other sources of information with the Ra material, and it helped solidify my own notion that this is a fruitful endeavor for L/L Research in many capacities. I don't have a particular system or collection of works in mind yet, but I feel like the Law of One can serve as my cornerstone for seeking and I can explore spirituality effectively by not just researching other philosophies in their own right, but with the intent to relate them back to the Law of One. Hopefully this can be of service to other people who are looking for supplementary material to better grasp the Law of One, or perhaps lend validation to the Law of One by introducing people to it through other, more established philosophies.
thanks for the answer Austin.

I guess my question may have been posed rather poorly; of course, once you grasp the 'principles' at play between the conscious and unconscious, the actual practice of using those principles to integrate, and then 'dismantle' the veil is a lifelong endeavour indeed.

but yes, its good to find supplementary material to back up, and to fill in certain areas that were not explored as deeply or thoroughly in Ra as one might have liked. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the Course in Miracles (ACIM) has been very compatible for me, although its most assuredly not to everyone's taste (quite a few terminology barriers to overcome, plus a leap of faith that this is in any way 'legit').

but yeah; this article that you wrote above is extremely well articulated and constructed; and speaks to clear communication indeed.

peace brother.

plenum
I've taken peeks through the veil, even unconsciously if that makes sense. As if our unconscious were always behind the veil. I get all tickly feeling when I get moments of excitement. I feel a sense of oneness, as I grow to learn more of myself. It would be very magical if I could reunite with Creator. There is a book called Backwards that talks about a lady's merging with the Source. That's an experience I desire. For all I know my home density could be with Creator. I could have been sent here by Creator itself. Wouldn't that be fantastic.
If you haven't read the red book by Jung I'd highly recommend you do Austin. Gives you basically a working example of how Jung discovered and started integrating these concepts into his life, fantastic for anyone who has felt the call of the adept.
(09-04-2013, 06:50 PM)Sagittarius Wrote: [ -> ]If you haven't read the red book by Jung I'd highly recommend you do Austin. Gives you basically a working example of how Jung discovered and started integrating these concepts into his life, fantastic for anyone who has felt the call of the adept.

I haven't gotten the chance to actually read it, but I have flipped through the PDF version online: http://gnosis.org/library/The-Red-Book.pdf

I would love to get a physical copy, it would be much easier for me to explore that way, but it's pretty expensive.

Edit: that's not the full PDF I found at one point...I'll see if I can track it down.

Aloysius

(09-05-2013, 01:13 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2013, 06:50 PM)Sagittarius Wrote: [ -> ]If you haven't read the red book by Jung I'd highly recommend you do Austin. Gives you basically a working example of how Jung discovered and started integrating these concepts into his life, fantastic for anyone who has felt the call of the adept.

I haven't gotten the chance to actually read it, but I have flipped through the PDF version online: http://gnosis.org/library/The-Red-Book.pdf

I would love to get a physical copy, it would be much easier for me to explore that way, but it's pretty expensive.

Edit: that's not the full PDF I found at one point...I'll see if I can track it down.

The facsimile edition with the illustrations costs a fair bit (I've seen it sell for hundreds of dollars) but the readers edition (complete text without original pictures) sells for around $50 which is still expensive for a book but I'd say it's more than worth it lol.

Oh and great post Austin BigSmile
Today in my lecture they briefly covered Jung. Extremely briefly, did him no justice at all, the finishing point was how he almost sent himself into psychosis. I know for fact he equated in his work some of his states as psychotic but never categorized it the same as a permanent state of psychosis rather the difference being acceptance or integration.

I think a lot of people would understand through notions of prior experience, Jung's work now compared to when he was first published and involved with the collective in his work due to the much greater number of wanderers.
I've been working through that podcast and I've learned so much about myself and been able to make sense of my experiences. I realized my projection of the anima onto my first relationship and how that would never have worked. I've also used his ideas about the shadow in understanding my self and complexes.
(09-05-2013, 01:13 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to get a physical copy, it would be much easier for me to explore that way, but it's pretty expensive.

Here's a link to cheaper copies than on amazon.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchRe...n=red+book
(09-04-2013, 01:39 PM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2013, 01:36 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the work involved in integrating shadow and navigating the unconscious, "next step" seems rather absurd.

yep

It does doesn't it. I suppose thats partly what Ra was on about when Ra said that from some perspectives passing back through the veil of forgetting is seen as "absurd" due to the risk of forgetting.
So we are absurd for making the choice to come here then...
I know I feel that way sometimes.
(10-07-2013, 12:45 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]So we are absurd for making the choice to come here then...
I know I feel that way sometimes.

What'd be absurd would instead be consciously realizing that you have actually made such a personal choice - customized to your particular learning requirements (rather than going along with what some abstract, new-age meme notion of an incarnation plan may suggest to the imagnination) and then consciously deciding to NOT take responsibility for that choice.
Any decision made consciously or unconsciously which we don't understand or agree with is absurd. I wonder if, as Ra offered "comforts designed for the sleeping" to their sleeping Venusian counterparts, they mused at how absurd the sleepers were.
(10-07-2013, 03:03 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]Any decision made consciously or unconsciously which we don't understand or agree with is absurd.
how does one agree with a misunderstood decision?
I'm not gonna lie. There is a huge, nontrivial part of me that solely wishes and desires comfort. It's only been recently, in my past two years of seeking, has my desire to learn, balance, and polarize become a larger part of my being.

I mean, come on, it would be kickass in a certain sense to live a life of comfort if your poker hand was legit. Maybe I'm in the minority in having these feelings Smile
(10-07-2013, 09:01 PM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not gonna lie. There is a huge, nontrivial part of me that solely wishes and desires comfort. It's only been recently, in my past two years of seeking, has my desire to learn, balance, and polarize become a larger part of my being.
Comfort and polarization are not at odds with each other. In fact, you may find that many people do not really seek their comfort, because they do not hold distortions and desires which are honestly congruent with their nature. When you don't recognize that which is truly comfortable, you instead seek a level of discomfort you are willing to tolerate. And that which is relatively comfortable compared to that level of discomfort is then referred to as "comfort".
Mod note: the following 3 posts were merged with this thread from another than Nicholas posted.

Recently on another thread there was a query about what "Firstly, the mind must be known to itself." referred to in session 4.17. Having done a search for Carl Jung on Bring4th, and finding no pre existing thread, I thought I would create one specifically. But also as an attempt to correlate Carl Jungs terminology with Ra's. This is principally relating to the self becoming conscious on the self and aware of the distortions of the self. But there are also other aspects of his work relating to Dreams and desires, and our distortions that can sometimes express themselves through our dreams. Having recently joined a Carl Jung study group on facebook I have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts that I have come across. So as time rolls by I intend to share what I find, whether its paragraphs from his books, or interviews with him or talks about him. But also, to insert a passage from the LOO that I feel fits in with what Carl Jung has offered. 

I will bold the part that I find particularly relevant to what I am sharing here. Here is Alan Watts talking about Carl Jung himself.

"Firstly, the mind must be known to itself. This is perhaps the most demanding part of healing work. If the mind knows itself then the most important aspect of healing has occurred, for consciousness is the microcosm of the Law of One." - 4.17

"Having seen and accepted his own nature, profoundly. He had a kind of unity, and absence of conflict in his own nature" - Alan Watts (1.32 minutes)
Hi Nick,

Austin did a Homecoming Presentation on this particular topic:

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=7931

He even had a similar thread title to you BigSmile (Correlations between Ra and Carl Jung)
Now I'm not sure if I should post here, or if the threads will be merged, but this video is amazing! I knew the two of them had met, Alan Watts mentioned it in a lecture once, where he was talking about Jung's humour.

I for some reason, am always curious about someone's life story, and what lead to their insights and realisations, and usually there's some pivotal experience which acts as as springboard for immense acceleration, and in Jung's case it was his experience as a student of Freud, and the calamitous fallout they had which resulted in him being expelled from the group. I've only seen snippets written by Freud's biographers, but it's apparent that Freud was very authoritarian, and exhibited many traits of a cult leader.

Here's a paper written about the dynamic which played out: Freud’s Follies: Psychoanalysis as religion, cult, and political movement.

So after this experience, in which he was also subjected to a fair amount of brainwashing from Freud, he must have been quite traumatised, which was when he started producing The Red Book, and really started coming into his own and excelling.

Their story made me think of Ra saying how "work" only happens when both charges are present, positive and negative, and that our species only learn through trauma.

Now I'm going to head over to the other thread! BigSmile
What a great idea for a thread Nick  Wink

I went ahead and merged yours with my old one, and welcome any further input about correlations between the work of Jung and Ra. 

I expounded more on my ideas about the correlations between Jung's concept of Persona and the yellow-ray energy center in a recent podcast as well, for anyone interested: http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=12863

If I get a chance, I'll edit the transcript of what I said into this post.
Great (initial) post, Austin! - (these threads were merged after I posted.)

I have the Red Book in PDF format, and I was surprised at Jung's artistic ability! I haven't read any of it (it's in German of course, in medieval calligraphy), just been staring at the pictures, but there's an English translation accompanying it.

In Jung's own words about the Red Book:

Quote:The years … when I pursued the inner images were the most important time of my life. Everything else is to be derived from this. It began at that time, and the later details hardly matter anymore. My entire life consisted in elaborating what had burst forth from the unconscious and flooded me like an enigmatic stream and threatened to break me. That was the stuff and material for more than only one life.... Everything later was merely the outer classification, the scientific elaboration, and the integration into life. But the numinous beginning, which contained everything, was then.

The Epilogue, written in 1959:

Quote:1959
I worked on this book for 16 years. My acquaintance with alchemy in 1930 took me away from it. The beginning of the end came in 1928, when Wilhelm sent me the text of the “Golden Flower,” an alchemical treatise.

There the contents of this book, found their way into actuality and I could no longer continue working on it. To the superficial observer, it will appear like madness. It would also have developed into one, had I not been able to absorb the overpowering force of the original experiences.

With the help of alchemy, I could finally arrange them into a whole. I always knew that these experiences contained something precious, and therefore I knew of nothing better than to write them down in a “precious,” that is to say, costly book and to paint the images that emerged through reliving it all- as well as I could. I knew how frightfully inadequate this undertaking was, but despite much work and many distractions I remained true to it, even if another / possibility never …

Plenum Wrote:I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the Course in Miracles (ACIM) has been very compatible for me, although its most assuredly not to everyone's taste (quite a few terminology barriers to overcome, plus a leap of faith that this is in any way 'legit').

"Those who don't believe in magic, will never find it" - Roald Dahl

(I haven't read it yet, I just know that Oprah swears by it, and I think she's done a tremendous job in getting people to consider new possibilities)
(09-04-2013, 02:51 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ] ...where I feel there is really no end to the correlations that could be discussed.

I could not agree more!

(06-01-2016, 10:33 AM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]What a great idea for a thread Nick  Wink

Austin, you have saved me hours of dot connecting here! I read The Undiscovered Self many years ago and the front cover was made to appear like a mirror. It was quite a strenuous read at the time and I think it took Carl Jung something like 13 years to complete. 

Of course, your biases are showing in your latter quote  BigSmile
I have read recently something about jung studying the archetypes and I don't know where that is coming from in his work but he studied the ''joker'' archetype. It seems like it could be correlated with the fools but he makes differenciations between joker, jester, clown and fool which seems to be from the intent of polarity of the entity using this archetype. I resonated much with the concepts of the joker I have found in this description. I have incarnated this archetype often in my lifetime. I just wonder where are these different archetypes coming from.

A friend of mine who studies social working told me recently that psychoanalysis was considered to be an archaic form of psychology in his studies. I didn't know what to answer but man this guy was way ahead of his time. Some of his work is probably not even understood today to be considered as such and it is way ahead of traditional psychology in my opinion. Maybe those prejudices exist because of freud. It's funny how hiw story with freud seems a little bit like tesla vs edison.
"An inflated consciousness is always egocentric and conscious of nothing but its own existence.

It is incapable of learning from the past, incapable of understanding contemporary events, and incapable of drawing right conclusions about the future.
It is hypnotized by itself and therefore cannot be argued with. It inevitably dooms itself to calamities that must strike it dead." ~Carl Jung, CW 12, Para 563

Quote:19.18. Those truly helpless are those who have not consciously chosen but who repeat patterns without knowledge of the repetition or the meaning of the pattern.

"Everything that man should, and yet cannot, be or do be it in a positive or negative sense—lives on as a mythological figure and anticipation alongside his consciousness, either as a religious projection or—what is still more dangerous—as unconscious contents which then project themselves spontaneously into incongruous objects, e.g., hygienic and other "Salvationist" doctrines or practices. [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]All these are so many rationalized substitutes for mythology, and their unnaturalness does more harm than good." ~Carl Jung, CW 9i, Para 287[/font]

Quote:[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]5.2. [/font]Each acceptance smoothes part of the many distortions that the faculty you call judgement engenders.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"The stirring up of conflict is a Luciferian virtue in the true sense of the word.[/font]Conflict engenders fire, the fire of affects and emotions, and like every other fire it has two aspects, that of combustion and that of creating light.

On the one hand, emotion is the alchemical fire whose warmth brings everything into existence and whose heat burns all superfluities to ashes {pmnes superfiuitates comburii).
But on the other hand, emotion is the moment when steel meets flint and a spark is struck forth, for emotion is the chief source of consciousness.
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There is no change from darkness to light or from inertia to movement without emotion."[/font][/font] ~Carl Jung CW 9i, 179

Quote:[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]41.19 [/font][/font]The key to balance may then be seen in the unstudied, spontaneous, and honest response of entities toward experiences, thus using experience to the utmost, then applying the balancing exercises and achieving the proper attitude for the most purified spectrum of energy center manifestation in violet ray.

46.13 Questioner: Then the positively oriented entity, rather than attempting repression of emotion, would balance the emotion as stated in an earlier contact. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct and illustrates the path of unity.

42.4 Questioner: Would a perfectly balanced entity feel an emotional response when being attacked by the other-self?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct. The response is love.

"Since the differentiated consciousness of civilized man has been granted an effective instrument for the practical realization of its contents through the dynamics of his will, there is all the more danger, the more he trains his will, of his getting lost in one-sidedness and deviating further and further from the laws and roots of his being." ~Carl Jung, Basel Seminar, Para 276

Quote:52.7 There is great danger in the use of the will as the personality becomes stronger, for it may be used even subconsciously in ways reducing the polarity of the entity.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"When there is a marked change in the individual's state of consciousness, the unconscious contents which are thereby constellated will also change.[/font][/font]And the further the conscious situation moves away from a certain point of equilibrium, the more forceful and accordingly the more dangerous become the unconscious contents that are struggling

to restore the balance.
This leads ultimately to a dissociation: on the one hand, ego-consciousness makes convulsive efforts to shake off an invisible opponent (if it does not suspect its next-door neighbour of being the devil!), while on the other hand it increasingly falls victim to the tyrannical will of an internal "Government opposition" which displays all the characteristics of a daemonic subman and superman combined.
When a few million people get into this state, it produces the sort of situation which has afforded us such an edifying object-lesson every day for the last ten years.
These contemporary events betray their psychological background by their very singularity.
The insensate destruction and devastation are a reaction against the deflection of consciousness from the point of equilibrium.
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]For an equilibrium does in fact exist between the psychic ego and non-ego, and that equilibrium is a religio, a "careful consideration" of ever-present unconscious forces which we neglect at our peril." [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]~Carl Jung, CW 16, P. 394[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

Quote:[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
This is somewhat complicated. We shall endeavor to simplify...Those reverting to orange ray, and we may add these are many upon your plane at this time, are those who feel the vibrations of true color green and, therefore, respond by rejecting governmental and societal activities as such and seek once more the self.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"The hero's main feat is to overcome the monster of darkness: it is the long-hoped-for and expected triumph of consciousness over the unconscious..."[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

Quote:[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]39.10 [/font][/font][/font][/font]This is the first true spiritual ray in that all transfers are of an integrated mind/body/spirit nature. The blue ray seats the learning/teachings of the spirit in each density within the mind/body complex, animating the whole, communicating to others this entirety of beingness.
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
"The coming of consciousness was probably the most tremendous experience of primeval times, for with it a world came into being whose existence no one had suspected before. "And God said, 'Let
there be light' " is the projection of that immemorial experience of the separation of consciousness from the unconscious." ~Carl Jung, CW 16, Para 284

[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

Quote:83.19 Questioner: What was the mechanism of the very first veiling process? I don’t know if you can answer that. Would you try to, though, answer that?

Ra: I am Ra. The mechanism of the veiling between the conscious and unconscious portions of the mind was a declaration that the mind was complex. This, in turn, caused the body and the spirit to become complex.

Or

Quote:[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]13.12 [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]The intelligent infinity discerned a concept. This concept was discerned due to freedom of will of awareness. This concept was finity. This was the first and primal paradox or distortion of the Law of One. Thus the one intelligent infinity invested itself in an exploration of many-ness.

"Without consciousness there would, practically speaking, be no world, for the world exists for us only in so far as it is consciously reflected by a psyche.
Consciousness is a precondition of being.Thus the psyche is endowed with the dignity of a cosmic principle, which philosophically and in fact gives it a position co-equal with the principle of physical being.
The carrier of this consciousness is the individual, who does not produce the psyche of his own volition but is, on the contrary, preformed by it and nourished by the gradual awakening of consciousness during childhood. If therefore the psyche is of overriding empirical importance, so also is the individual, who is the only immediate manifestation of the psyche." Carl Jung, CW 10, Para 528

Quote:1.7 You are every thing, every being, every emotion, every event, every situation. You are unity. You are infinity. You are love/light, light/love. You are. This is the Law of One.

All correlations are entirely subjective and are open to query, critique, or alternative Ra quotes for the hoped for intention of deeper discovery!

Direct source - https://www.facebook.com/groups/56536297...600457292/

Further study on Carl Jung's writings - http://carljungdepthpsychology.blogspot.co.uk/
Genesis represents the act of becoming conscious as a taboo infringement, as though knowledge meant that a sacrosanct barrier had been impiously overstepped.

I think that Genesis is right in so far as every step towards greater consciousness is a kind of Promethean guilt: through knowledge, the gods are as it were robbed of their fire, that
is, something that was the property of the unconscious powers is torn out of its natural context and subordinated to the whims of the conscious mind.
The man who has usurped the new knowledge suffers, however, a transformation or enlargement of consciousness, which no longer resembles that of his fellow men.
He has raised himself above the human level of his age ("ye shall become like unto God"), but in so doing has alienated himself from humanity.
The pain of this loneliness is the vengeance of the gods, for never again can he return to mankind.
 ~Carl Jung, CW 9i, Para 243

Quote:[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=sans-serif]80.10.[/font][/font] It is also to be noted that an adept is one which has freed itself more and more from the constraints of the thoughts, opinions, and bonds of other-selves. Whether this is done for service to others or service to self, it is a necessary part of the awakening of the adept. This freedom is seen by those not free as what you would call evil or black. The magic is recognized; the nature is often not.

[Image: Intelligent_design.jpg]

Direct source - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater

Further study - http://carljungdepthpsychology.blogspot.co.uk/
"Reflection" should be understood not simply as an act of thought, but rather as an attitude.

It is a privilege born of human freedom in contradistinction to the compulsion of natural law.
As the word itself testifies ("reflection" means literally "bending back"), reflection is a spiritual act that runs counter to the natural process; an act whereby we stop, call something to mind, form a picture, and take up a relation to and come to terms with what we have seen.
It should, therefore, be understood as an act of becoming conscious. ~Carl Jung, CW 11, Para 235
There is no other way open to us; we are forced to resort to conscious decisions and solutions where formerly we trusted ourselves to natural happenings.
Every problem, therefore, brings the possibility of a widening of consciousness, but also the necessity of saying goodbye to childlike unconsciousness and trust in nature.
This necessity is a psychic fact of such importance that it constitutes one of the most essential symbolic teachings of the Christian religion.
It is the sacrifice of the merely natural man, of the unconscious, ingenuous being whose tragic career began with the eating of the apple in Paradise.
The biblical fall of man presents the dawn of consciousness as a curse.
And as a matter of fact it is in this light that we first look upon every problem that forces us to greater consciousness and separates us even further from the paradise of unconscious childhood. ~Carl Jung, CW 8, Para 751

Quote:74.9 Questioner: Let me see if I have a wrong opinion here of the effect of disciplines of the personality. I was assuming that a discipline of the personality to, shall we say, have a balanced attitude toward a single fellow entity would properly clear and balance, to some extent, the orange-ray energy center. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. We cannot say that you speak incorrectly but merely less than completely. The disciplined personality, when faced with an other-self, has all centers balanced according to its unique balance. Thusly the other-self looks in a mirror seeing itself.

[Image: 13785697-surrealistic-picture-of-an-appl...mirror.jpg]

Direct source - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater

Further study - http://carljungdepthpsychology.blogspot.co.uk/