Bring4th

Full Version: Any thoughts on TM (Transcendental Meditation)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was watching a video with Russell Brand and he was discussing TM and actually introduced Ellen Degeneres to it. I did some some research and I guess there are a lot of people doing it. It can be described as thus:

Quote:The Transcendental Meditation technique is an effortless technique for automatic self-transcending. It allows your mind to settle inward beyond thought to experience the source of thought — pure awareness. This is the most silent and peaceful level of consciousness — your innermost Self.

Research on transcending
The first studies on the TM technique were conducted at UCLA and Harvard Medical School in the early ‘70s, and were published in Science, American Journal of Physiology, and Scientific American. These landmark studies found that the TM technique produces a unique state of “restful alertness” in the mind and body. No other form of meditation has been found to produce this state.

Since then, many published studies have documented a wide range of physiological indicators of the state of restful alertness. Even though the body is in a state of deep rest, the mind is alert rather than asleep, as indicated by the marked increase in alpha waves during TM practice.

Immediate and long-term benefits
Automatic self-transcending is the key to the TM technique’s effectiveness, and does not occur in meditations involving concentration or mindfulness. Over 350 published, peer-reviewed studies have collectively found that the TM technique produces immediate and long-term wellness benefits for mind and body.
----
How is Transcendental
Meditation different?
The TM® technique differs from other techniques
in three important ways:

1. Effortless transcending
Unlike other techniques, the TM technique involves no concentration, contemplation or control of your mind. It is effortless and enjoyable, and can be practiced sitting comfortably in a chair.

The TM technique allows your mind to effortlessly transcend, to settle inward to the source of thought — a natural state of pure awareness and restful alertness. This automatic self-transcending is a unique feature of the TM technique.

2. Evidence-based
Over 350 published research studies on the TM technique have documented a wide range of benefits, including reduced stress and anxiety, improved health and brain function, and increased self-actualization. Other forms of meditation may produce effects in specific areas, but only TM has been found in hundreds of studies to produce immediate and long-term wellness benefits for mind and body.

3. Standardized for effectiveness
Every certified TM teacher ensures consistent effectiveness in your results by providing standardized instruction in TM. In most other meditations, the nature and quality of instruction can vary widely from teacher to teacher.

So I think this pretty interesting and there are a ton of studies showing it is better than any other type of meditation. The only catch is that it cost $1500 and can't be learned on your own. It's a big company, too.

So my questions are:
What do you know about TM?
Do you have any experience with it or know someone who has?
What are your thoughts?
I'm not willing to spend upwards of $1000 to learn a meditation technique. Plus they say you can only use it so much. Like an hour or a half hour per day. Sometimes I want to meditate longer than that, but this technique says you can't.
Plus any meditation will reduce stress.

My meditations consist of sending Love to Mother Earth, and doing energy exchanges with a Confederation entity. So I have a different desire. I'm not looking to transcend. I'm fine here experiencing what life has to offer. I guess I'm not seeking enlightenment, because I became a slave to my seeking. Creator is within, and Creator is me and Creator is You. As long as I remember these principles, my meditations serve me well.
All they do is teach you a Mantra from a list of them, choosing based on some specious formula using age and sex.

Mantras work. So just use Om, Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Namah Shivaya, The Gayatri, The Mool Mantra, or the Shema if you like the Abrahamic Tradition.

If you're some form of Christian, you can use the great commandment. In Mark 12:28-31 Jesus first quotes verbatim the first three lines of the Shema and then appends Leviticus 19:18 (Thou shall love your neighbor as thyself).

I think TM uses this form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japa#Mental_repetition

Shema Transliteration

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cd...ration.htm

Shema Translation

http://www.jewfaq.org/prayer/shema.htm
"Know and Love Thyself.
Calm down, relax, close your eyes and push energies upwards, slowly, in every breath."

TM can not possibly be more effective than this. Also this is for free.