Bring4th

Full Version: "Well-meant and Unintentional" Slavery of Others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across this quote and found it very relevant:

Quote:83.12 ▶ Questioner: Then you say that there are no cases where those who are service to others oriented are using in any way techniques of enslavement that have grown as a result of the evolution of our social structures? Is this what you mean?
Ra: I am Ra. It was our understanding that your query concerned conditions before the veiling. There was no unconscious slavery, as you call this condition, at that period. At the present space/time the condition of well-meant and unintentional slavery are so numerous that it beggars our ability to enumerate them.

83.13 ▶ Questioner: Then for a service-to-others oriented entity at this time meditation upon the nature of these little-expected forms of slavery might be productive in polarization I would think. Am I correct?
Ra: I am Ra. You are quite correct.

This quote really blew my mind. When I first was aware of the choice, I immediately started to search any way that I was harming others and then adjusting my actions accordingly to my beliefs. There are so many things that we just aren't aware of that are enslaving others.

I would like to name a few and you feel inclined please do so.

Buying non-fair trade Chocolate:
Quote:When you take a bite into that luscious chocolate bar, source of ecstatic pleasure, do you stop to think about who grew the cacao that made your chocolate fantasy possible? Possibly one of the more than 15,000 child slaves working on cacao farms in west Africa. Does that chocolate still taste good?

By the way, did I mention that cacao farming has stripped the world of hundreds of thousands of acres of rainforest? Or, that despite the fact that the U.S. alone spends $13 billion a year on cocoa products, many cacao farmers are impoverished?

The statistics are sobering, yet large chocolate manufacturers still insist that, because of the way cocoa is traded at global markets, it is impossible for them to tell which cacao is grown by slaves and which isn’t. Estimates are that up to 40% of cocoa is slave grown. And you thought Abe Lincoln abolished slavery.

Rather than horrify you further with statistics (which hopefully isn’t necessary – hopefully you’ll have already decided that you want no part in promoting such an industry), here are a few options for you.

HOW TO SUPPORT FAIR TRADE CHOCOLATE
1) Look for products that are certified Fair Trade chocolate. When farmers and laborers are paid a fair price for the products they produce, rather than being exploited for cheap labor, that is considered “Fair Trade.” Because they are paid a fair wage, producers can avoid cost-cutting practices that sacrifice quality and are destructive to the environment. For example, Fair Trade chocolate is typically organic and shade-grown, meaning it is grown under the canopy of the rainforest rather than in a clear cut field.

2) Limit, or stop, your consumption of mass-market chocolate. I know that may be hard if you have an addiction to, say, Snickers. All I can tell you is that after having once visited a banana plantation, wherein the workers lived in desolate concrete block houses and worked in the scorching heat, with giant billboards on every corner warning about what to do when overcome by pesticides, I swore to myself never to eat another non-organic banana.

If I am even tempted to, which I’m generally not, all I have to do is put myself back on the banana plantation. Try picturing your favorite 12 year-old working under the grueling African sun and being beaten all day so that you can enjoy your cheap candy bar, and that will make it easier to give them up.
... http://www.facts-about-chocolate.com/fai...chocolate/

Buying clothes and products from cheap places like walmart:
Quote:According to a new National Labor Committee report, an estimated 200 children, some 11 years old or even younger, are sewing clothing for Hanes, Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney, and Puma at the Harvest Rich factory in Bangladesh.

The children report being routinely slapped and beaten, sometimes falling down from exhaustion, forced to work 12 to 14 hours a day, even some all-night, 19-to-20-hour shifts, often seven days a week, for wages as low as 6 ½ cents an hour. The wages are so wretchedly low that many of the child workers get up at 5:00 a.m. each morning to brush their teeth using just their finger and ashes from the fire, since they cannot afford a toothbrush or toothpaste.

The workers say that if they could earn just 36 cents an hour, they could climb out of misery and into poverty, where they could live with a modicum of decency.

In the month of September, the children had just one day off, and before clothing shipments had to leave for the U.S. the workers were often kept at the factory 95 to 110 hours a week. After being forced to work a grueling all-night 19-to-20-hour shift, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. the following day, the children sleep on the factory floor for two or three hours before being woken to start their next shift at 8:00 a.m. that same morning.

The child workers are beaten for falling behind in their production goal, making mistakes or taking too long in the bathroom (which is filthy, lacking even toilet paper, soap or towels).

In 1996, after Charles Kernaghan and the National Labor Committee revealed that Kathie Lee Gifford’s clothing line for Wal-Mart was being made by 12 and 13-year-olds in Honduras, the resulting scandal and publicity was enough to virtually wipe out child labor in garment factories around the world producing for export to the U.S.

Exactly a decade after the Kathie Lee Gifford scandal, children are again sewing clothing for Wal-Mart, Hanes and other U.S. companies,” said Charles Kernaghan, director of the National Labor Committee. “Children belong in school, not locked in sweatshops. Wal-Mart, Hanes and the other companies owe these children, and must now provide them with stipends to replace their wages and cover all necessary expenses to send them back to school.”

Corporate monitoring has again proved a miserable failure, as Harvest Rich was certified by the U.S. apparel industry’s Worldwide Responsibly Apparel Production (WRAP) monitoring group. Not only did the U.S. companies fail to notice the child workers, the beatings, the excessive mandatory overtime, but also that not one single worker in Harvest Rich was paid the correct overtime pay legally due them. Any worker daring to ask for their proper wages, or that their most basic legal rights be respected, would immediately be attacked, beaten and fired.

“Right now, more than 100 children at the Harvest Rich factory are being threatened with firing,” says Kernaghan, “It is time for the U.S. companies to act immediately, today, to guarantee that this does not happen and that the children are returned to school.”

The National Labor Committee is an independent, nonprofit human rights organization and the leading anti-sweatshop watchdog group in the U.S. The NLC has run successful campaigns not only against Kathie Lee Gifford and Wal-Mart but also on production for Sean “P Diddy” Combs, the NFL, NBA, GAP, Disney, Nike and others. Most recently the NLC exposed the descent of the U.S.-Jordan Free Trade Agreement into human trafficking and involuntary servitude.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/lwp/...labor.html

If something is super cheap to buy, remember there's a reason for it and it's usually not an ethical one. How easy is it to just buy that snickers bar or get a bunch of clothes from Walmart or Gap? It's cheap, right?

These are just a few examples of human enslavement. Now if we view 2D creatures as 'others' we will see that we have tons of going on that many of us participate in everyday. The meat, dairy, and animal skins industry is quite horrific and inhumane. I know I'm going of into a place many here on the forum won't agree with me on, but its still enslavement.

As Ra says it is beneficial in polarizing to seek to find alternative ways of living that don't require enslavement of others. Please add your insight to she'd light on ways that we might be unintentionally enslaving others.
I can imagine a person who gets a revelation of "the truth" and, with passion, tries to describe it to others. Eventually in some cases, such person would get a following and then be tempted to set up a system where these followers take guidance a little far and the leader would either back off or keep going into a near enslavement situation.

This STO-ish leader must, at some point choose, in the LOO sense, whether to proceed and lose that polarity, or make a big adjustment.

That's what I thought of when I read that quote.
Thankfully I'm not a big chocolate person, but I do like chocolate milk from time to time.
"I know what is best for you"
Very interesting info and thread, which I did not know about. I'm glad I so rarely consume chocolate.

However, I don't think this is what Ra was referring to when they said "well-meant and unintentional slavery".

I don't think they were referring to literal slavery as it is defined by modern mainstream society. If you consider the quote in context of the session, you will get a better picture of what they're referring to.

primordial abyss gave a perfect example of a specific type of "well-meant" slavery that Ra was referring to.
Forced to work to have money to barely survive is pretty much slavery, on the other hand =)
I agree with Parsons. Ra said: *well-meant* and *unintentional* slavery, which to me means that people who are enslaving others mean well, but do enslave others nevertheless, unintentionally.

In that session Don mentioned legal system as an example, and Ra said that although intention is to protect others, this system does not recognize uniqueness of each situation.

Other examples that I came to think of is work and school.

In Sweden we have a saying: "paycheck slave". And indeed most of the people *must* work in order to survive in our modern society. They don't necessarily have to live in poverty, and work for minimum wage, but today there is little opportunity to live in any other way except go to work and make money. We are sort of slaves under this system. In this system it is very difficult to serve others out of born desire to serve. We simply *have* to serve/work.

Another thing that I thought of is school. My daughter is almost seven, and started the 1st grade this year. So now, school is not optional for us anymore, she *must* to go - Monday to Friday, from 8:20 AM till 1:30 PM. We don't have any choice/freedom of choice. If she misses too much, we will be reported to social services, and this whole thing can end up with authorities taking away our daughter from us. And how much I want to keep her home the days when I am off, and she is begging me to stay home, instead of going to school at those ungodlike hours, and yet - there is nothing we can do! I find it crazy!!
I never interpreted that quote to mean people unintentially enslaving others, but rather unintentionally becoming slaves.i.e. of the various systems and social institutions we have provided for people to relate to themselves and to others and to evaluate relative worth.
(09-20-2013, 12:14 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]I never interpreted that quote to mean people unintentially enslaving others, but rather unintentionally becoming slaves.i.e. of the various systems and social institutions we have provided for people to relate to themselves and to others and to evaluate relative worth.

Very interesting, I love how everyone gets a different interpretation of this. I appreciate all the views. As all are one the enslavement does go both ways.
Every human being is forced to give a significant portion of their labor to a government they cannot opt-out of. If they opt-out while still attaining an income, they can easily be jailed under the threat of force and seizure.

If this is not slavery, I don't know what is. I hold that the overbearing force of law is what creates the inhumane workplaces and conditions that perpetuate this planet, a monopoly of force that creates oligopolies of businesses that lobby legislators for their own business while preventing any real constructive change towards a caring civilization.. There is no choice, there is little empowerment of the individual and local communities to make change in this world.

This passage does not surprise me. It shouldn't surprise anyone on this planet either. This planet is a slave state, a machine that spirals into indefinite decay ran by people only set on accumulating power with the illusion of goodwill.

While everyone enjoys their toys and long work-weeks to supplement their distraction and sleep, we fail to expand to higher purposes, to more pleasant states of living. Unequivocally, this planet is one of mostly slavery, a slave to fruitless and destructive desires.

What can you do? Refuse to tolerate slavery and stagnation in your daily life. Stand up as the valuable being you are. Stand by your true and inherent values and desires. Do not compromise on your value and the value of others, do not sacrifice.

Force is not the answer. Laws are not the answer. Conquering of nations is not the answer. Enslaving the world to a central power is not the answer.

True compassion and respect of the freewill of the individual is the answer. Voluntary cooperation is the answer.

If you support the use of the armed men of our governments to instill change in this world, you're only putting this planet under further control of a few. You're simple selling your power to somebody else. This is what a law is: A mandate backed by force.

/Rant
as others have mentioned, Don made a followup siggestion to this query, further clarifying this point.

it is regards the legal system, and it having a 'set response' to most situations.

Quote:83.14 Questioner: I would say that a very high percentage of the laws and restrictions within what we call our legal system are of a nature of enslavement of which I just spoke. Would you agree with this?

Ra: I am Ra. It is a necessary balance to the intention of law, which is to protect, that the result would encompass an equal distortion towards imprisonment. Therefore, we may say that your supposition is correct.

This is not to denigrate those who, in green and blue-ray energies, sought to free a peaceable people from the bonds of chaos

but only to point out the inevitable consequences of codification of response which does not recognize the uniqueness of each and every situation within your experience.

the codification of the response is the primary issue (treating every situation as similiar or alike).

this is a form of 'control', as it does not recognise the flexibility and spontaneity in human action.

I mean, are we not 'over-governed' by most respects? ie, laws extending into domains where they have no right to?

* psychedelic substances
* age of consent for sexual relations
* drinking age
* bigamy laws
* etc etc (insert more 'outrageous' laws here

these are laws which aim to 'protect' ... and I am sure in 90% of cases, it helps, for the other '10%' it acts as a form of imprisonment. (restricting free-will action, for actions that do not interfere negatively with others).

- -

although in the above quote, Ra refers specifically to the American Civil War?

what is the 'peacable people from the bonds of chaos"?
The slavery also extends as far as monopolies. When you restrict key resources, key abilities to a few through governmental force or private use of artificial government-granted "property rights" others are almost always going to get screwed.

I believe the power of monopoly in all aspects of human civilization is what is creating so much suffering: It gives little to no ability to the people to opt-out and attain something better. A key monopoly that really puts people under the control of the few is our current international central banking system.

Money as it is operated now is truly the root of all evil in this world. And of course this money and its respective control is granted by the force of law, by the force of military to put uncooperative jurisdictions in line.

Fun fact: Without the US military, the US dollar would have no value. All money is blood money.

I want to make it clear in this moment of passion: This world is inherently violent.

We can change it. We truly can change it. We just need to be aware and make our choices informed by our awareness.
(09-20-2013, 12:14 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]I never interpreted that quote to mean people unintentially enslaving others, but rather unintentionally becoming slaves.i.e. of the various systems and social institutions we have provided for people to relate to themselves and to others and to evaluate relative worth.

Good one, zm! I didn't think in this way, but you're right. It probably goes both ways.
(09-20-2013, 10:34 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]what is the 'peacable people from the bonds of chaos"?

I think it's something like Hobbes' "nasty, brutish, and short" state of nature, which well-meaning individuals think must be regulated.
(09-20-2013, 10:51 AM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]Money as it is operated now is truly the root of all evil in this world. And of course this money and its respective control is granted by the force of law, by the force of military to put uncooperative jurisdictions in line.

Money has nothing to do with it other than being a vehicle for energy exchange. I realize that the banking system has created fractional lending and all that, but this is still not "money," it's greed. It's a fine point, but I think some misunderstanding, or perhaps just semantics (but words have power), contributes to the issues we have around "money."

I believe it would be helpful for people to not worry so much about "money," itself, as we will likely have some venue of exchange for some time to come. It is how it is used that creates the problems. There are so many dynamics in this scenario, from both sides of the equation (those who think they are being victimized and those victimizing). I suggest getting out of that box altogether, using the current system with the highest intentions (we all chose to be here now), and in this way, from love and acceptance, you may inject that energy into this current corrupt and flawed monetary system.

I do not think there will suddenly be some overnight change where no one uses money, or another system of exchange--even digital credits--for some time. Change just doesn't happen this way. Acceptance of the current system, with all of its warts so to speak, would be a good place for change to flow from. Then we could endeavor to change it for the better from a place of love rather than blame. It's like loving and accepting your flawed self and letting change and evolution flow from that point.

Even if the system was overthrown overnight, then what? Would greed disappear? Would the desire to control disappear? That's why it's not money. It's consciousness.