Bring4th

Full Version: Physicists Discover Geometry Underlying Particle Physics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: amplutihedron_span.jpg]

Quote:Physicists have discovered a jewel-like geometric object that dramatically simplifies calculations of particle interactions and challenges the notion that space and time are fundamental components of reality.

“This is completely new and very much simpler than anything that has been done before,” said Andrew Hodges, a mathematical physicist at Oxford University who has been following the work.

The revelation that particle interactions, the most basic events in nature, may be consequences of geometry significantly advances a decades-long effort to reformulate quantum field theory, the body of laws describing elementary particles and their interactions. Interactions that were previously calculated with mathematical formulas thousands of terms long can now be described by computing the volume of the corresponding jewel-like “amplituhedron,” which yields an equivalent one-term expression. https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/...rce=feedly

I don't know much physics but from what I can gather this seams pretty big.

Does this somehow tie in or complement Dewey's reciprocal system ?
Dewey's theory as I recall links space/time with time/space. This new geometry appears to be just space/time particles. But the geometry is driven by time/space. Time/space controls what happens in space/time.

Unbound

Is there a link to the article?
(09-18-2013, 07:00 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a link to the article?

Added link for you sorry forgot about it.
Appears to be a simplified method of modelling some particle interactions. But it was not developed from first principles, so they are looking for a way to have it also model what they think is a separate type of force - gravity.

Their confusion is that space and time are not ultimately primary because their legacy notion of what space and time is had led to a great deal of unneccessary complexity in modelling physical processes.