Bring4th

Full Version: Musicians spot mistakes more quickly and more accurately than non-musicians
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The research, published in the journal Neuropsychologia, draws particular attention to the skills learnt in musical performance. When playing pieces to an audience or to themselves musicians must demonstrate heightened awareness of their actions: continually monitoring their playing through auditory feedback and rapidly adjusting their movements to anticipate possible mistakes.

The psychological and mental benefits of learning to play an instrument have been shown in previous studies, with research highlighting musicians’ improved reaction times and their increased capacity to “inhibit task irrelevant information” (aka, to stay focused).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...49068.html

Wanna see yourself more clearly learn an instrument. I can personally attest to this as I'am sure others who play instruments here can. I noticed a marked improvement in my cognitive abilities as a whole since I started practising and playing regularly.

In many ways as my rhythm on the drums becomes learnt and expressed so does my mind find the rhythm it needs to stay focused.
I'm not really a musician but i've been to many gigs, and you can always tell they notice themselves the slightess mistake. I wouldn't have noticed unless they did! A wrong note can be quite jarring in a tune, but to those less familiar to how it should sound may not notice.
(10-02-2013, 06:38 AM)Steppenwolf Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really a musician but i've been to many gigs, and you can always tell they notice themselves the slightess mistake. I wouldn't have noticed unless they did! A wrong note can be quite jarring in a tune, but to those less familiar to how it should sound may not notice.

Yeh I would say the important underlying mechanism is getting into that flow state, the state were your body moves autonomously and your mind moves with it but at the same time directs the autonomous flow.

Music is one stimulus to guide us into this state but anything can be used to achieve this, zen masters are fond of gardening and chopping wood for this purpose hehe. It's a really beautiful aspect of ourself and one can see the principal of co-creation clearly in it's use. Flow meets flow which creates flowy flow lol.

Bat

I would agree with this having played bass for 10 years and guitar for 7, as well as numerous live gigs with my band.

Unbound

Aha Always had the saying that being a good musician isn't about playing perfectly, but how well you make your mistakes work for you.
My personal style is that each performance is a new version of the original song (idea). I've never played a song the same way before. Every time is a new creation and I love getting in the flow of the music and letting it take me deep into the world of spirit. When I jam on guitar I no longer am in this reality but create another that I traverse at will. I used to play with a gospel choir and totally lose myself in the music, but now I don't go to church or anything so I miss playing in a band...

Unbound

It is so easy to go in to trance playing music, especially when improv-ing. I enjoy both "spontaneous composition" as well as building well structured pieces. I find that each offers a different kind of experience. I love to just have fun and play freely, but there is also something incredibly satisfying about writing and playing a song which is "crystallized" or regularized in its structure. For me, playing a well structured song and totally nailing it is so satisfying, it touches a part of my energy which doesn't have much a say when I am just improv-ing.
Tanner, which instrument do you play?

Unbound

I originally started with drums, I have a good sense of rhythm and I love the way the beat works with my consciousness. Sometimes I find myself playing the same simple patterns over and over just listening to the way it loops on itself and trying to keep a steady tempo. I also play guitar, bass, keyboard/piano and sing, and guitar is what I play the most nowadays, haven't played drums in awhile. I can also play pipe flutes and various other instruments.
I love the way the drums sound in the beginning of this song. Probably one of my favorites.

I think I'm balanced minimally enough so that Creator can pluck harmony with me. I'm Creator's instrument in that sense.

Unbound

Can you post a link? My tablet doesn't let me view embedded videos, really a pain.
(10-04-2013, 02:49 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post a link? My tablet doesn't let me view embedded videos, really a pain.

Sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFbDmwdXTDE

Do they make tablets that can view embedded videos?

Unbound

I have no idea aha maybe there is some setting on here I can adjust, I presume maybe on other tablets it works, I dunno, it could also maybe be the browser I am using.

Apparently that video is blocked in my country, darn record labels.
(10-04-2013, 02:41 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I love the way the drums sound in the beginning of this song. Probably one of my favorites.

I think I'm balanced minimally enough so that Creator can pluck harmony with me. I'm Creator's instrument in that sense.

Dat bunny has teh skills. Bet he doesn't forget anything hehe.
(10-04-2013, 02:27 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]It is so easy to go in to trance playing music, especially when improv-ing. I enjoy both "spontaneous composition" as well as building well structured pieces. I find that each offers a different kind of experience. I love to just have fun and play freely, but there is also something incredibly satisfying about writing and playing a song which is "crystallized" or regularized in its structure. For me, playing a well structured song and totally nailing it is so satisfying, it touches a part of my energy which doesn't have much a say when I am just improv-ing.

Well said. I never really thought of songs as "crystallized" before, but I do think of them as entities of a sort, so of course they go through the crystallization process. When I write it take a long time for my song (mostly the melody) to crystalize because I want it to speak to me instead of speaking to it. My wife hates my process and she says I "sing it wrong" and she has the approach of forcibly forming the song. She in this case is difinately the yang to my yin in this approach and both ways are useful.

When writing a song what does the crystallization process look like to you?