Bring4th

Full Version: Using Mandalas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Carl Jung's use of Mandalas
http://fractalenlightenment.com/14683/li...g-mandalas

[Image: carl-jung-first-mandala.jpg]
(love the caterpillar/tree image and the butterfly and the menorah symbology)

Jung created Manadalas to diagnose and work with his clients for self-healing purposes, one of the 'eastern' concepts that he incorporated into his therapy. Some art therapists use this method still, as well as play therapists (e.g., sand-tray). Windows into our minds and allowing the creative process to 'sort out' what's beneath our conscious mind on its own.

Anyone here work with mandalas? How do you work with them? What was your experience like? Have any you'd like to share?

Any mandalas that stand-out for you?

Jung says: 'Oh here it is, I found Wally' (lol sorry just kidding)
http://fractalenlightenment.com/wp/wp-co...andala.png

I tried to search 'manadalas' but found bits and pieace of info in various threads so I'm creating one.
I've seen mandalas as keys to other dimensions. Of course alternate realities are alternate dimensions too. There are infinite dimensions in All That Is. How do I work with them. Well when I did, I would meditate on them, and the images that came through as a result would be what the mandala was showing me.

I don't really use them anymore. Meditation is hard enough for me, that I focus on nothing when I do that. I just relax into it without expectation.

Bat

I remember reading in a discourse on the 6 Yogas of naropa that they could summon an entity within the parameters of the mandala through the use of concentration and mantra.
I don't know anything about them. I do see a "GreenMan" mandala a lot when my 'eye' spontaneously opens. Though what I see is an indigo color rather than green.Confused

I just happened to do some searching on the topic this morning.
I've never seen indigo color out of my 3rd eye. It's usually yellows and greens, natural colors. That was when I was taking DMT.
I've only hallucinated people when my 3rd eye opened crazily. That freaked me out. But no natural colors usually when I'm not taking DMT.

Unbound

When I hit the right state at the center of my vision a mandala of many spinning and circling spheres of many colours begin to swirl as a vortex made of many smaller spheres spinning in larger spirals appears, usually starting smaller at the point of my focus and expanding, if I allow it enough, until it almost completely fills my view. I am pretty sure it is always there, but these moments are just when I am able to see it.

It tends to happen when I have high alpha wave activity, which also results in closed eye visuals where I see a sort of multicoloured field in the darkness and then these rings of yellow-green energy, as though looking through a porthole, start to coalesce starting at the edge of my peripherals and concentrating in to the center of my vision. As the rings coalesces the energy at their center becomes distinct as a very intense indigo-violet circle which then "shrinks" as the ring coalesces at the center and then disappears in the center of my vision when the ring completely unifies as a point, and then the whole process repeats.

I have described it as though it is a long process, but it is actually quite fast, taking maybe only 3 seconds for each ring to coalesce in the center and I can keep this continuous vision "going" pretty much indefinitely, although it sometimes evolves in to more after meditating for awhile.
(11-16-2013, 06:40 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone here work with mandalas? How do you work with them? What was your experience like? Have any you'd like to share?
I've done this with some colored pencils - basically drawing some symbols which came to mind. They will naturally form a pattern, as the mind tends to connect things. Underlying complexes are revealed and where they are drawn on the circle suggests relationships (right, left, up, down, outer, inner). Same insight available as with dreams, but you don't need to wait.
(11-17-2013, 03:41 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]When I hit the right state at the center of my vision a mandala of many spinning and circling spheres of many colours begin to swirl as a vortex made of many smaller spheres spinning in larger spirals appears, usually starting smaller at the point of my focus and expanding, if I allow it enough, until it almost completely fills my view. I am pretty sure it is always there, but these moments are just when I am able to see it.

What I see is a static 3D image with a face in the center. It always seems as if I am looking at a 'live' face, but the design and face are not always the same.

Been looking for others mentioning seeing mandalas and not finding any other experiencers, just the common theme of drawing them.

Unbound

The spinning vortex of spheres is definitely not static but it is regularized in its movement, and it looks like a hologram, I can see around its edges where it is becoming part of my field. Sometimes I will see just a sphere though, like a ball of heat just distorting the air in a sphere.
Awesomeness!

How do you guys attempt to understand what these symbol/image mean to you or how do you make sense of these patterns that form? How then do you use this information for healing/understanding purposes?

Yeah definitely does show us our own complexes, and making new 'connections'/insights.

Unbound

It is definitely not just a symbol or image, I understand that the elements are degrees of vortical motion in an infinite geometric relationship and I call their collective movement ether which is an element unto itself as it is the liveliness or amplitude of the motion in each point that is intelligent energy. The motion we perceive as space and time is just an infinity of points in arrays of amplitude.

Low amplitude is earth-like and the highest is pure energy and there is a spectrum and well anyways, my point is is that I can visually see my field as a sort of invisible field which is only visible to those who can process each level of its beingness. Or, to whom I choose to show each part, sometimes I don't always have this choice.

I see this mandala as being a natural outgrowth of alpha waves, or a state of certain calmness and bliss within myself which allows my energy to manifest, by which I mean I consciously perceive what is already there. This mandala, I believe, is the nature of the movement of my third eye chakra out to what I call my first outer eye, my primary chakra of external awareness or maybe the fourth eye, or whatever one wants to call it. It is an external chakra which I am capable of moving and positioning. I see it as my third eye is not just a point, but it is the whole field around my head and it is "divided" or arranged in to layers like an onion but not actually separated, more like if you were to take the lense of a camera and make it perfectly sphereical and then use the zoom to zoom in and out, each layer is a zoom depth of awareness.

So, when there is energy travelling to my third eye, the mandala manifests, but there is also a third and most important ingredient. That is my power, the choice to see the mandala, or not to see it. However, it doesn't just appear because I will it to, it appears because it is showing me something. It is something I can and am showing to myself.

As to how it is useful, I asked that question for awhile, by that I mean a couple years, and so far I have concluded that in time it will perhaps be usuable as some kind of interface or even vehicle for consciousness. I have also considered it may be conscious itself, even if it is just a part of me or something emerging as my perception.

The vivifying aspect or factor of this is that I have seen it many, many times, and it is completely consistent in appearances besides overall filling of the vision as it quite literally is a layer between my physical sight and my external perception. Sometimes it is larger, but it is not stretched or expanded, just that the outer edges have gotten wider, like a window being made bigger I can simply see more.

I have only worked with it through thought interaction a few times, I feel it may be still too powerful an aspect of self for me to bring to earth effectively.
(11-17-2013, 07:00 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]How do you guys attempt to understand what these symbol/image mean to you or how do you make sense of these patterns that form?
Generically, you try to have an eye for a balanced state and look at where a concept or theme suggests some condition of imbalance and what investment is involved in maintaining that. It's usually due to some misunderstanding.

(11-17-2013, 07:00 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]How then do you use this information for healing/understanding purposes?
For yourself, you first acknowledge and accept the imbalance in some manner and then figure out the correct disposition, which can be done instantaneously or over time depending on how acceptable the healthier condition is to your idea of self. For another person, you usually have already done this work and so the blockage and a viable disposition will be readily apparent (i.e. black dot on an ovary for example). So you just offer them a new circumstance (i.e. merely remove the dot) without thinking about it at all. Doesn't take much at all to get sorted out if you are compatible with the "patient".
It's probably worth noting that Jung saw mandala's as a symbol for the self.
(11-17-2013, 04:40 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2013, 06:40 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone here work with mandalas? How do you work with them? What was your experience like? Have any you'd like to share?
I've done this with some colored pencils - basically drawing some symbols which came to mind. They will naturally form a pattern, as the mind tends to connect things. Underlying complexes are revealed and where they are drawn on the circle suggests relationships (right, left, up, down, outer, inner). Same insight available as with dreams, but you don't need to wait.

Yeh kind of like space/time.

(11-17-2013, 08:14 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably worth noting that Jung saw mandala's as a symbol for the self.

What other symbol is there ?
Would a manadala be useful/meaningful tool over a long period of time or useful/meaningful just around the time that the manadala was created?

To me, the circular shape and symbols of the astrological chart is like a mandala (but not a mandala). It's enduringly meaningful bc interpretation is fluid. It can be understood in new ways as my understanding of the world changes. It's fun to track these changes too bc certain distortions become clear.

In 'mind-mapping', the use of representation or imagery or whatnot instigates the mind to connect various issues that previously seemed isolated/unconnected. This also happens when we do imagery work. Some folks call these types of work 'whole brain function'.

Certain images or pictures might allow the mind to 'unpack' complexes -- almost like a code to opening files. It's self healing bc the mind to flow on its own and letting mind work things out on it's own. Of course 'debriefing' (talking about it) is necessary after this type of work to make sense of the experience -- make things more concrete.
(11-17-2013, 10:08 PM)Sagittarius Wrote: [ -> ]

(11-17-2013, 08:14 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably worth noting that Jung saw mandala's as a symbol for the self.

Is that not like Ra being channeled and just saying - The Law of One, All is one. End.
Stare into closed eyes in a dark room, let go of anything ever known, once it begins to realize that light is itself it gives all its attention, without any expectation, therefore no fear is present. The images transforms into any/all relevant imagery necessary to the seeking of the seeker. That is if imagery holds relevancy to the individual seeking process.
Most ideas seem connected in a most non-linear fashion throughout time, and have a vast range of "degrees of connectedness" to/from the experience/idea..
Otherwise I have no experiences with mandalas.
Only imagination.
(11-18-2013, 04:58 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2013, 10:08 PM)Sagittarius Wrote: [ -> ]

Is that not like Ra being channeled and just saying - The Law of One, All is one. End.

Pretty much.

Wouldn't be much use without the pattern connection that is required to dissolute the complexity we are veiled in though.
[Image: 6gdAb4l.jpg]

i love making mandalas. this one was inspired by the 13 mile long sri yantra mandala formation. i used colored pencils & a black marker. more to come!
Here is a screen saver I made for a friend. I illustrated the sri yantra mandala and used a NASA photo. Smile

[Image: bringthsriyantrascreensaverjpg.jpg]

Unbound

[Image: Kalachakra-Mandala.jpg]

The Kalachakra Mandala

I just got a book for Christmas on this mandala and the Kalachakra Initiation and I have realized now how shockingly similar Tibetan ritual arts and buddhist ceremonies are to western magical traditions and practices. The same elements are pretty much all there and furthers my ideas that the western tradition is very much seeded or inspired by eastern practices, however I do believe the west has brought some unique aspects to the east as well.

Mandalas, especially of this type made with sand as ritual art and then dispersed are some of the most powerful works of white magic I have yet to encounter on this planet. Absolutely mind-blowing the positivity of the intention achieved by the buddhist monks who create these sand Mandalas. Every action, every thought is dedication and sent out in benefit to all beings everywhere. I have been trying to incorporate this intention in my daily life as well with all that I do. 

Kalachakra represents a deity whom is the embodiment of the indestructible, pure, perfect mind. The Mandala itself displays 722 deities which represent all of the many aspects of this mind of Kalachakra. The monks say they are not creating the image, there is not invention or creativity involved except in the perfecting of skill. Rather, they say they are building something that already exists, the blueprint which is in Buddhist Tantras, the Palace of Kalachakra at which we he in the center united eternally with his consort.

There are obviously many more details, and this is just one of many such practices and initiations in Tibetan Buddhist tradition. I find it absolutely fascinating aha I am quite sure I was a Tibetan in at least one, maybe two other lives.
(01-16-2015, 05:49 AM)Unbound Wrote: [ -> ]Mandalas, especially of this type made with sand as ritual art and then dispersed are some of the most powerful works of white magic I have yet to encounter on this planet. Absolutely mind-blowing the positivity of the intention achieved by the buddhist monks who create these sand Mandalas. Every action, every thought is dedication and sent out in benefit to all beings everywhere. I have been trying to incorporate this intention in my daily life as well with all that I do. 

I call this same idea living with a warrior spirit, and I too endeavor to do the same. Even if it's the most mundane task. 

There is a slo something called, "sanmitsu." Sanmitsu is the synergy of word, thought, and deed. When all three are aligned it creates the strong white magic you refer to above.

I saw the Tibetan monks create and destroy a sand mandala some years ago. It was an amazing experience. The focus in creating the design, which was about 6 ft. in diameter, was intense. But then the second it was complete, they blew the design away and scooped up the sand until the area was completely clean as though it had never been there. Even though I knew they would do that, the act carried a profound energy.
Have you seen those sand animations where they use sand to create an animation? It's pretty incredible.
(01-16-2015, 12:47 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Have you seen those sand animations where they use sand to create an animation? It's pretty incredible.

No. Why don't you post one? Smile
(01-16-2015, 12:55 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2015, 12:47 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Have you seen those sand animations where they use sand to create an animation? It's pretty incredible.

No. Why don't you post one? Smile

Wow, that was mesmerizing and sad. Thanks Gemini.

Unbound

(01-16-2015, 12:46 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2015, 05:49 AM)Unbound Wrote: [ -> ]Mandalas, especially of this type made with sand as ritual art and then dispersed are some of the most powerful works of white magic I have yet to encounter on this planet. Absolutely mind-blowing the positivity of the intention achieved by the buddhist monks who create these sand Mandalas. Every action, every thought is dedication and sent out in benefit to all beings everywhere. I have been trying to incorporate this intention in my daily life as well with all that I do. 

I call this same idea living with a warrior spirit, and I too endeavor to do the same. Even if it's the most mundane task. 

There is a slo something called, "sanmitsu." Sanmitsu is the synergy of word, thought, and deed. When all three are aligned it creates the strong white magic you refer to above.

I saw the Tibetan monks create and destroy a sand mandala some years ago. It was an amazing experience. The focus in creating the design, which was about 6 ft. in diameter, was intense. But then the second it was complete, they blew the design away and scooped up the sand until the area was completely clean as though it had never been there. Even though I knew they would do that, the act carried a profound energy.

Yes, the Buddhist word for "spiritual warrior" is Bodhisattva and every Buddhist takes the vow of the Bodhisattva which is to work endlessly for the liberation of all beings. The three gateways which are the gateways believed to be that through which both good and bad karma are developed are the mind (thought), the body (deed) and speech (word). Many Tibetan meditative techniques are to purify these three aspects of the self.

In the book I read it seems there was a strong reaction of Westerners when the Mandalas were destroyed because we view things as important due to keeping them, possessing them, but the monks believe the best way to preserve the Mandala is to dismantle it.