Bring4th

Full Version: Erich Fromm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I tried to find Erich Fromm with the search function for this forum, I got 2 hits in total. Of these 2 hits, none talked about him directly. That's surprising because he wrote a lot which matches very well with the Law of One.
Erich Fromm (1900-1980) was a famous German psychologist. The most popular book of him is probably "The Art of Loving", but I would also recommend "The Fear of Freedom" and "To Have or to Be."

In particular this quote from "The Sane Society" (see p. 35-36) remembered me at one famous passage of the Law of One:

Quote:Another aspect of the human situation, closely connected with the need for relatedness, is man's situation as a creature, and his need to transcend this very state of the passive creature. Man is thrown into this world without his knowledge, consent or will, and he is removed from it again without his consent or will. In this respect he is not different from the animal, from the plants, or from inorganic matter. But being endowed with reason and imagination, he cannot be content with the passive role of the creature, with the role of dice cast out of a cup. He is driven by the urge to transcend the role of the creature, the accidentalness and passivity of his existence, by becoming a "creator."

Quote:Ra: I am Ra. The heart of the discipline of the personality is threefold. One, know yourself. Two, accept yourself. Three, become the Creator.

In the following, I put the good quotes of him together:

Quote:Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you.'

Quote:In love the paradox occurs that two beings become one and yet remain two.

Quote:The task we must set for ourselves is not to feel secure, but to be able to tolerate insecurity.

Quote:Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence.

Quote:If I am what I have and if I lose what I have who then am I?

Quote:If a person loves only one other person and is indifferent to all others, his love is not love but a symbiotic attachment, or an enlarged egotism.

Quote:There is only one meaning of life: the act of living itself.

Quote:Man's main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is. The most important product of his effort is his own personality.

Quote:Most people die before they are fully born. Creativeness means to be born before one dies.

Quote:Love is union with somebody, or something, outside oneself, under the condition of retaining the separateness and integrity of one's own self.

Quote:The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.

Quote:We all dream; we do not understand our dreams, yet we act as if nothing strange goes on in our sleep minds, strange at least by comparison with the logical, purposeful doings of our minds when we are awake.

Quote:The only truly affluent are those who do not want more than they have.

Quote:Not he who has much is rich, but he who gives much.

Quote:What most people in our culture mean by being lovable is essentially a mixture between being popular and having sex appeal.

Quote:Both dreams and myths are important communications from ourselves to ourselves. If we do not understand the language in which they are written, we miss a great deal of what we know and tell ourselves in those hours when we are not busy manipulating the outside world.

Here's a video if you want to hear what he has to say about being and having (you can skip the first minute, it's an introduction):

If one wants to read his books, write me a pm and I can send them to you!