Bring4th

Full Version: The Sun's Jewel Box | Nasa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Sun's Jewel Box | Nasa

Quote:This video of the sun based on data from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, or SDO, shows the wide range of wavelengths -- invisible to the naked eye -- that the telescope can view. SDO converts the wavelengths into an image humans can see, and the light is colorized into a rainbow of colors.

As the colors sweep around the sun in the movie, viewers should note how different the same area of the sun appears. This happens because each wavelength of light represents solar material at specific temperatures. Different wavelengths convey information about different components of the sun's surface and atmosphere, so scientists use them to paint a full picture of our constantly changing and varying star.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS57VH3QN1g

Melissa

That's just gorgeous! I get heart flutters from watching the video.
(12-22-2013, 10:57 AM)Melissa Wrote: [ -> ]That's just gorgeous! I get heart flutters from watching the video.

I think you'd get heart flutters from just about anything these days. Wink

My favorite is definitely the blue.
Definitely cool stuff for sure.

I'm also curious as to whether this type of imagery has been done on the Earth, as to how would life look through the various wavelengths of light (It has been done on a somewhat limited level with Flowers). If anything, I guess this shows just how little are physical equipment allows us to see at this time.

Melissa

(12-22-2013, 12:20 PM)GentleReckoning Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2013, 10:57 AM)Melissa Wrote: [ -> ]That's just gorgeous! I get heart flutters from watching the video.

I think you'd get heart flutters from just about anything these days. Wink

My favorite is definitely the blue.

Yay. I highly recommend heart flutter meditation Tongue