Bring4th

Full Version: End of the Ego - The Mechanics of Thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The end of the Ego; The Awakening - By Eckhart Tolle

Source

The mechanics and relationships with ones 'thoughts' are pretty well surmised here by Eckhart.
I see Eckhart's 'entities' as aspects-of-self (like the shadow). The critical aspect of self is one of the most common one, usually an introjection (internalization) of critical-other. Freedom comes from understanding and accepting the fragmented aspect of self rather than treated merely as thoughts. That critical-self usually shifts as being highly discerning and reliable source of grounding when it's integrated (I think). Don't think we want to 'end ego' but integrate those fragmented aspects of self.
The 'Energy Forms' (Which he defines as 'Entities) here I find are referring to thoughtforms that are telepathically transferred between interfacing entities on a continual basis (Including you and I, and everyone else through the Forum, which is how 'Negative' Entities can also arrive in another's space through temporary cords formed). We can then choose to take on the energy forms/thoughts as our own, in which case are absorbed energetically by the Body, eventually resulting in dis-ease if enough energetic disharmony results from that, or release the thoughts/energy forms by grounding them (They pass into the Chakras down the rays to the root and into the Earth, similar to grounding a circuit and the excess current where it is transmuted).

The useful point he makes here is the acknowledgement that the thoughts we perceive as 'ours' are not, we merely identify with the thoughts/belief patterns, which the Exterior Ego Identity/Construct is comprised of. We are bombarded by thoughts on a daily basis since birth which are eventually held unconsciously (Too much for the conscious mind to deal with at once) which is where Shielding can be useful (Filtering the crap out - Why go through the lengthy process of dealing with it each time?). I discovered this is how ones Guides and Higher Self often communicate with an individual, by slipping in conceptual 'thoughts' into the thoughts stream which we identify as our own (Due to a lack of awareness). Meditation serves as allowing one to objectively view this thought stream, allowing differentiation between what is perceived as 'useful' (Thought communication by Guides, say) and what is not.

The 'Shadow'/Aspects of Self here he mentions seems to be the lodged beliefs (That are simply thoughts we identify as being true) which we have accepted and held onto in our Body. They gain traction and attract like minded beliefs, in an effort to perpetuate it's state of existence (Energy forms vibrating at the same frequency through resonance attracting each other). At base it is as simple as finding the core belief through acknowledgement of what we have accepted as being 'true' and flipping that switch off. That part of the Self which vibrated at that lower frequency is then vibrating back in alignment with the core being, allowing re-integration. Incidentally this is also the mechanics behind crystallization of the being, as there are less 'incoherent' and 'disharmonious' energetic aspects of the Entity. Sort of like how Water is formed where all aspects of Water are vibrating in alignment, whereas in a non crystallised the lower vibrating aspects of the water (Ice) and higher vibrating aspects (Steam) interrupt the process of maintaining liquidation (Lower/Higher unintegrated aspects of self causing disharmony with the overall entity/body of water).

Quote:Don't think we want to 'end ego

This is a noteworthy point, as it implies the Ego something to be shunned, which is quite the opposite, as it is a useful interface/filter for manoeuvring in 3D Reality. The issue tends to be when pretty much all of the Ego firewall rules are on uuber high security (Limiting beliefs) filtering to a significant degree what comes through and is experienced. I'd say it's more about giving the Exterior Identity a backseat in the decision process and transforming the rules/filters/thoughts/beliefs held.

Late Edit: Addition/clarification.
ego is present til the end of 7d. no escape from it
I thought the idea was to integrate the ego as part of the whole self?
There is always some distortion that invites such thought-forms to enter into the mind and manifest itself in one way or another. The difference (in how one perceives this mechanism) is the degree to which the explanation would hold self accountable for self. We focus on one stream of thought bc there is conditions available to accept that thought. Your emotions, your world views, your beliefs about self, your biases and assumptions are aligned so that you are able to become aware of one thing out of many 'bombarding' thoughts.
(12-22-2013, 03:11 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the idea was to integrate the ego as part of the whole self?

Depends on your definition of it I guess (I simply copied the video title here). Most don't even know what it is let alone how to go about 'integrating' it (Which it already is), given the understanding of the concept is derived from that which postulates it. It is doing it's job perfectly fine, with the beliefs/thoughts that have been allowed to populate it as a framework to work from. The key is undoing those rules/parameters. I suppose the parallel with the Ra Material is the Conscious Mind and the Unconscious (The Outer and Inner Ego/Identity). It's somewhat akin to an operating system for the Human Mind. It's working fine, simply the OS priorities and how it manipulates/processes the data needs to be reorganised to allow for a more 'desirable' experience.

Seth is a good read for this:

Quote:The ego, as I have said before, is extremely important. It is however only a part of what you call yourself. Your artistic ability does not belong to your ego, dear Joseph (Robert Butts), though I understand as I speak that anyone on your plane identifies himself with his ego, and when he says “I am,” he means he is his ego, or his ego is.

Nevertheless, the ego is the tool by which the hidden self manipulates in the physical universe as you know it. The ego enables you to use or focus your artistic ability along the lines necessary to make it effective on your plane. However, when the ego becomes involved with fears to a greater or lesser extent, it ceases to be an effective tool and becomes instead a hammer hitting you incessantly over the head.

… The ego must sit lightly, otherwise it can smother the talent that lies beneath. … You are more than your you know. Your subconscious is a greater part of you than you know, and the ego is nothing more than the top most portion of your subconscious. There is after all no dividing line, and you are as much your subconscious as you are your ego, and more.

Now when this ego becomes overly concerned over practical matters it becomes overly conditioned to negative responses. The outer senses are not as quick or as fluent. The creative energies build up their thickly-dimensioned pseudo-realities of pain. For a certain amount of time, according to your condition, they automatically create the patterns of fear that belong to the ego.

These fears do not belong to the subconscious. Then these materializations of panic and pain play about the physical body, projected by the ego and stealing the powers of the subconscious mind from their natural constructive tasks to do so. In other words, the ego becomes a tool to disrupt rather than to create. … I am not suggesting that the ego be ignored in any manner, merely that the tool is not allowed to become the master. (From ES-1 (The Early Sessions, Book 1 of The Seth Material, by Jane Roberts) Pgs. 107-8)

Quote:... what you call the ego is a portion of the inner identity that rises to face the world of physical existence.

Quote:The ego at any give time in this life is simply the part of the inner self that surfaces in physical reality; a group of characteristics that the inner self uses to solve various problems.

Quote:There is an inner ego, an inner self which organizes 'unconscious' material. As the outer ego manipulates within the physical environment, so the inner ego or self organizes and manipulates within inner reality.

Quote:It is the daily ego's ignorance and limited focus that makes it view so-called unconscious activity as chaotic. The waking ego (dealing with physical reality) cannot know all the unconscious material directly.

The daily ego is simply not conscious enough to be able to contain the vast knowledge that belongs to the inner conscious self from which it springs. The outer ego is spoon-fed, being given only those feelings and emotions, only that data, that it can handle. This data is presented in a highly specialized manner, usually in terms of information picked up by the physical senses.

The inner self is not only conscious, but conscious of itself, both as an individuality and as an individuality that is a part of all other consciousness. It is continually aware of both this partners and unity-with. The outer ego is not continuously aware of this fact. It frequently forgets its "whole" nature. When it becomes swept up in a strong emotion it seems to lose itself. When it most vigorously maintains its sense of individuality, it is no longer aware of unity-with.

If the ego were aware of the constant barrage of telepathic communications that do impinge upon it, it would have a most difficult time retaining a sense of identity."
Very simply, the ego is not inherently unconscious, therefore identification with thoughts is not ego. Identification with thoughts is one activity with which an unaccepting ego may engage.

The ego is our focal point of consciousness or seat of consciousness. As greater awareness of self is becomes available, through eventual acceptance, that which was unconscious becomes conscious and the perspective and activities of ego simply changes. You don't get rid of this focal point of 'I' as it transcends prior attitudes and thought processes. In other words, pathological behaviors of ego are not somehow the essence of ego.
(12-22-2013, 03:11 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the idea was to integrate the ego as part of the whole self?

best thing is embracing it and treating it so well
(12-22-2013, 06:02 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Very simply, the ego is not inherently unconscious, therefore identification with thoughts is not ego.

Is the perceived function of the Ego not a result of Identifying with certain thoughts/beliefs?

Quote:Identification with thoughts is one activity with which an unaccepting ego may engage.

Right, but it also seems as though the unaccepting qualities of the Ego is a result of prior identification with certain thoughts.

Quote:The ego is our focal point of consciousness or seat of consciousness.

It seems to me as though the Ego acts as a filter through which the underlying consciousness/spark of awareness can make focus through when interfacing within 3D.

Or are you stating the underlying awareness which identifies with the thoughts is the Ego? Just trying to grasp your perspective here (You stated an 'Unaccepting Ego', which in this context would mean 'Unaccepting focal point of consciousness?'

(12-22-2013, 06:02 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]that which was unconscious becomes conscious and the perspective and activities of ego simply changes.

This seems to be the crux of it.

As an expansion of awareness is made, and that which was prior unconscious is now made conscious, is not the role of the Ego as we commonly define it to be essentially dissolved? At the present our Ego Identity (My Name/Label, being Female/Male, Tall/Short, Likes/Dislikes, Job/Role etc are thoughts/beliefs given by society) is who we define ourselves to be from the aspect of being 3D and manoeuvring therein. As we see ourselves more from what was previously unconscious facets of the Self (Or rather acting from the perspective of the Higher Self consciously through the various faculties available), the activities of the Ego lessen, eventually dissolving (Takes a backseat perhaps as more decisions are made using higher faculties (E.g. Intuition)) as the veil between conscious/unconscious is removed.
I just gave a book of Eckhart to my sister as a present. Seems to be a synchronicity here. I think my intuition led me to this store to buy it.

If I understood it correct, the Ego are the rationalisations which one makes of oneself and which can become a "problem" if strong fears develop and take over which impede one's ability to relate to the outside world. The solution to this "problem" is that one doesn't supress this part of oneself but integrates and accepts it. Is this correct?

If yes, how can one integrate the ego? Meditation?
(12-22-2013, 07:01 PM)Poet Wrote: [ -> ]I just gave a book of Eckhart to my sister as a present. Seems to be a synchronicity here. I think my intuition led me to this store to buy it.

If I understood it correct, the Ego are the rationalisations which one makes of oneself and which can become a "problem" if strong fears develop and take over which impede one's ability to relate to the outside world. The solution to this "problem" is that one doesn't supress this part of oneself but integrates and accepts it. Is this correct?

If yes, how can one integrate the ego? Meditation?

ego is already integrated into your personality. just accept, embrace and love it
(12-22-2013, 07:08 PM)bosphorus Wrote: [ -> ]ego is already integrated into your personality. just accept, embrace and love it

What is then the difference between ego and personality? Do we have something like a true self or does personality/ego just refer to the rationalisations/the picture we make of ourselves?
(12-22-2013, 07:16 PM)Poet Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2013, 07:08 PM)bosphorus Wrote: [ -> ]ego is already integrated into your personality. just accept, embrace and love it

What is then the difference between ego and personality? Do we have something like a true self or does personality/ego just refer to the rationalisations/the picture we make of ourselves?

ego is WHO do you think you are, whereas personality is WHO you are. each is mixed into another
(12-22-2013, 06:51 PM)Horuseus Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2013, 06:02 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Very simply, the ego is not inherently unconscious, therefore identification with thoughts is not ego.

Is the perceived function of the Ego not a result of Identifying with certain thoughts/beliefs?
Identification is how we get anything out of the density. You don't form experience all at once because it has to be put into a digestible form first.
But there is identification as an attachment with emotional charge conveyed and identification as a circumstantial placeholder for lack of better expressive form.

Quote:Identification with thoughts is one activity with which an unaccepting ego may engage.

Right, but it also seems as though the unaccepting qualities of the Ego is a result of prior identification with certain thoughts.
By unaccepting, I mean that given the ego draws from what has been consciously accepted so far, and that experience also dictates the qualities provided by the unconscious - or that which as not yet been accepted. That boundary is where identification is sustained, also guarded by ego. Jung called the maintained structure a "complex".

Quote:The ego is our focal point of consciousness or seat of consciousness.

It seems to me as though the Ego acts as a filter through which the underlying consciousness/spark of awareness can make focus through when interfacing within 3D.

Or are you stating the underlying awareness which identifies with the thoughts is the Ego? Just trying to grasp your perspective here (You stated an 'Unaccepting Ego', which in this context would mean 'Unaccepting focal point of consciousness?'
By unaccepting ego, I mean for example an ego which unconsciously reacts to something due to non-acceptance rather than consciously participating in an experience. The ego does function as a filter.

(12-22-2013, 06:02 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]that which was unconscious becomes conscious and the perspective and activities of ego simply changes.

This seems to be the crux of it.

As an expansion of awareness is made, and that which was prior unconscious is now made conscious, is not the role of the Ego as we commonly define it to be essentially dissolved?
A role of ego is transcended with respect to that which has been integrated.

(12-22-2013, 06:51 PM)Horuseus Wrote: [ -> ]At the present our Ego Identity (My Name/Label, being Female/Male, Tall/Short, Likes/Dislikes, Job/Role etc are thoughts/beliefs given by society) is who we define ourselves to be from the aspect of being 3D and manoeuvring therein.
Yes but again a transient ego behavior like maintaining a convenient identity, is not the ego itself.

(12-22-2013, 06:51 PM)Horuseus Wrote: [ -> ]As we see ourselves more from what was previously unconscious facets of the Self (Or rather acting from the perspective of the Higher Self consciously through the various faculties available), the activities of the Ego lessen, eventually dissolving (Takes a backseat perhaps as more decisions are made using higher faculties (E.g. Intuition)) as the veil between conscious/unconscious is removed.
What makes you think the activities of the ego lessen? They are but transformed as particular distortions are not needed. It just so happens that there are certain points in 3D evolution where we begin to have insight on these dynamics. One point is the begining of time/space awareness where we may redefine our relationships with ourselves - seeing the prior behaviors of identification. The focal point yet remains, informed by new awareness, as the work continues.

But the intuition is not a higher faculty, it's just the interface to the unconscious mind via perception from the standpoint of experience. Since it's always perception rather than evaluation, no decisions can be made using it directly. In fact, it is impossible to form new experience using just the intuition, as the intuition merely suggests notional possibilities and informs us where something is headed and from where it came.

(12-22-2013, 07:20 PM)bosphorus Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2013, 07:16 PM)Poet Wrote: [ -> ]

ego is WHO do you think you are, whereas personality is WHO you are. each is mixed into another
Personality, here in 3D, is really what we've made of our conscious awareness from the standpoint of provided circumstances. It's really what has been allowed at this point, under these conditions. There is still the "soul" or current development of self which this incarnation is but a tiny aspect. And more inclusive still is the higher self.