Bring4th

Full Version: Organic Mega Flow Battery Promises Breakthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...154238.htm

"A team of Harvard scientists and engineers has demonstrated a new type of battery that could fundamentally transform the way electricity is stored on the grid, making power from renewable energy sources such as wind and solar far more economical and reliable."

"The paper reports a metal-free flow battery that relies on the electrochemistry of naturally abundant, inexpensive, small organic (carbon-based) molecules called quinones, which are similar to molecules that store energy in plants and animals."
Looks interesting. Seem to read about a new advance in green energy every other day. Future is in good hands me thinks.
Yep, all is well.
They're looking to get oil out of shale. It's a solid form of oil, which would have to be processed. But it would make the US self-sufficient with it's oil for many years. This would give time for the greener technologies to develop. Oil companies are investing in green technologies as well, because they realize they won't have oil forever. But if I recall correctly, shale oil would give us another 100+ years of oil and the US would not be dependent on other countries any longer.
The problem with getting oil or gas from shale is that the most common technique for obtaining it, fracking or induced hydraulic fracturing, is highly destructive and unsustainable. The fracking process involves injecting fluid into the shale in order to create fractures to release the gases, this can lead to methane leaks and contamination of the ground water among other hazards. the machinery used for fracking also produce a lot of harmful emissions.
I'm surprised then that the EPA allows shale oil to be extracted. A lot of oil corporate interests that have a lot of political power.
I think Gemini is referring to this.
oops, my bad.
That's your one mistake for the year, no more Tongue