Bring4th

Full Version: Anthropology and the Law of One
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anthropology and the Law of One

I would like to explore some anthropology concepts, and how they relate to the Law of One.

I don't have reference links for the anthropology material. But I don't think matters much, because my goal is to explore how these ideas might shine a new light on the Law of One. I invite you to join me in this exploration.

Some anthropologists believe that humanity, as we now experience our physical bodies, evolved in groups, tribes or clans of about a hundred individuals. These tribes traveled together, hunting and gathering. About a third of the individuals would have been infants and children young enough to need at least some watchfulness from the adults. When a smaller group went out for the hunt, there were still many different adults who could watch the kids together.

This means that what is normal for a human being is to grow up with several other kids of all ages, watched over by a group of caring adults. Not every adult would be perfectly attentive and caring at all times, of course. However, chances are excellent that most of the time, if there was a dangerous situation, or the kid called out for help or needed something, there would be a good-enough response, soon enough. As a result of growing up this way, the kids would have the fundamental emotional security to expect that they are good enough people, and able to handle a world where there is enough caring and resources to meet their needs.

I believe that this is a natural development from the Law of One perspective. From unity with our fellow souls, we would have then emerged into unity with our fellow incarnate humans. The shocks of this 3D world would have been much easier to adapt to.

With the agricultural revolution, tribes expanded to cities, and priests who understood the astronomical signs of the flood seasons could consolidate their political control. Perhaps this is part of what Ra referred to as mistaken interference in human history.

Yet still, most people would have grown up in some kind of extended family or community situation with a variety of other kids and mostly caring adults.

From this perspective, the industrial revolution was a disastrous change for the worse in human development. Yes, workers got to migrate closer to good-paying work opportunities. But the destruction of the extended family meant that far fewer people had their early years surrounded by caring relatives who offered "good enough" help and love and encouragement. If just one couple - or more likely, just one mother - doesn't have their act together, the physical and psychological consequences can be devastating to the child, who doesn't have anyone else to ask for help.

I think this is why there has been, in recent centuries, so much more indigestible catalyst leading to neuroses and other intrapersonal and interpersonal problems. This could have been part of what Ra discussed as the increasing intensity of catalyst that has dramatically shortened lifespans.

Do you think I might be on track with these explorations? Or is there a more productive different way to look at these matters? Are there specific passage of the LLR material that address these issues?
I believe the industrial revolution was the mistake Ra spoke of, and there were waves of wanderers that came during that time. Intended to make life easier and to allow for more leisure time, which would hence allow more time for spiritual growth, it backfired. Those in the western world only took upon themselves more work and became even more industrious.
"backfiring" or not, we obviously did gain more leisure time after the industrial revolution.
Some did, some didn't. Some of the workers in what Blake called the "dark satanic mills" had far more brutal lives of hardship than subsistence farmers.
(02-05-2010, 11:03 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]"backfiring" or not, we obviously did gain more leisure time after the industrial revolution.

I don't know about that. Find the great amount of leisure in my last 20 years of work...

1983-1990 Military, varied hours
1990-1997 13 hour days, 240 days a year
1997-1998 10-18 hour days, 270 days a year
1998-2001 8-16 hour days, 340+ days a year
2001-2006 8-16 hour days, 100-130 days on/ 30 days off, year round
2007-2008 12-14 hour days, 32 on/ 28 off year round
Oct 2008-2010, on the road to enlightenment

I considered 2007-2008 to be like a holiday. Before that was brutal.
It seems that the term "leisure" strikes a chord, as if it suggested something strongly personal. Or some notion other than what is was meant to convey.
Clearly, if your survival needs aren't met, or if you merely perceive your survival needs are not met, then the (psychological) quality of time itself changes to something less than "abundant" or "free". If you hold a grudge, or if you are dissatisfied with something you have or do not have, you divert attention away from (what may have been) your "leisure" time.

Also, the quality of time is affected by actual opportunity (to pursue and do things one finds compelling / enjoyable), merely perceived or otherwise. Opportunity is afforded by ideas. Where do these ideas originate? They're mostly seminal thoughts from others (who have, themselves, been provided opportunity).

Relative lack of childhood nurturing/counseling aside, I'd take the modern (post-industrial) cultural era vs stuck in a pre-rational participation-mystique tribe any time. It's a gold mine in comparison.
(02-06-2010, 11:39 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Relative lack of childhood nurturing/counseling aside, I'd take the modern (post-industrial) cultural era vs stuck in a pre-rational participation-mystique tribe any time. It's a gold mine in comparison.

We have no choice in the role we play after we sign on for it, so we are where we are for a reason. These are parts, in the grand play, we still needed to work on. Smile
Mistake or not, we're on this journey and we're here together. All is well.

Love and Light,
origin
(02-06-2010, 12:15 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]We have no choice in the role we play after we sign on for it
So we don't extend free will to ourselves. Kind of ironic.
We do have free will. Let me explain it this way. Our self, I AM, is not what we understand our self to be in this illusion. This illusion is a physical manifestation of what we have chosen to use to experience all for the One Creator, our self, I AM.

Simply put, this is a self imposed cage. We choose to go into the cage to learn, and when we die after each incarnation, we get to step outside the cage for a period of time, choosing again to enter until we have learned all we desire to learn. We go through hundreds of these short little lives learning and experiencing, where our free will is completely ours, within self imposed limitations. We are killed, kill, love, hate, are rich, poor, homeless, helpless, brilliant, weak.... the list goes on and on; we play parts, sometimes with other souls, being a father or mother, then perhaps a son or daughter, then perhaps as a brother, or friend or sister, male and female.... We choose our part in the play which goes on in the cage, our major goal of each incarnation. We choose to be lose our knowing, our memory, our unity, so as to learn in a separate state, to find our way back to ourself with a wealth of understanding and knowledge.
Zenmaster, I agree with a couple of your points. A focus on survival struggle does indeed make it challenging to look up to higher aspirations.

I'm not convinced that it's accurate to write off pre-industrial tribes as ignorantly stuck in pre-rational mysticism. They may well have had people every bit as intelligent, thoughtful, and creative as anyone we might encounter today on a sidewalk in New York City, Tokyo or London. They may have had a broader and deeper range of spiritual insights than our neighbors and colleagues today.

Another reference - again, sorry I don't have the citation - referred to hunter-gatherer tribes as only requiring about four hours of work a day to meet all of life's needs. Hunter groups might need to be gone for a week on the hunt, but then might have a month off. Gathering and all the maintenance for shelter, clothing, and so on, would have been part-time work, most of it easy. A bit tedious at times, perhaps, but that's good time to share stories and songs.

Considering that no time was needed for commuting, or job interviews, or for buying, wearing and maintaining special clothes for work, the amount of leisure may have far surpassed our own. Would these people have been happier if they'd had as many ideas we have about how to use their free time? Is it right to assume that they couldn't have seen any more ways to be happy in their lives than we could find in our own?

And if the Law of One material is correct, might ideas have just as abundantly waited for humans to welcome them into their thoughts, way back then?

I don't know the answers here, I'm just sending out some more questions.
(02-06-2010, 03:43 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]We do have free will. Let me explain it this way. Our self, I AM, is not what we understand our self to be in this illusion.
OK, so you are saying that because we do not understand ourselves, we do have free will but no choice how we live our lives?
We do have free will. When we speak of choice in the context of the LOO, it means in regards to choice of polarity in terms of sts or sto.

Perhaps I may be more clear with a different analogy. As a spirit, we decide to go to school to advance. Prior to each semester (life), we choose what courses (life lessons/experiences) we would like to take/learn that semester. Then we enter the classroom and forget about our true purpose, our connectivity to the universe, to the One Creator. It is entirely our choice, while in the classroom, what to do. Though we chose to take a specific course, and though our higher self (OverSoul, future self) will give us the lessons to learn over and over again until we learn them, we can choose to work hard to learn them, to ignore them and learn them in our own time, to ignore them altogether, or to even quit class. Everything we do while in school is our choice. The arrangement of the classroom is even our decision, for the illusory world about is is a mirror reflection of what we project, and what we project is what we see. Everything.
(02-05-2010, 10:37 PM)Questioner Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that this is a natural development from the Law of One perspective. From unity with our fellow souls, we would have then emerged into unity with our fellow incarnate humans. The shocks of this 3D world would have been much easier to adapt to.

Interesting! I'm not sure there was all that much unity back then, though. If it's true, and Ra and/or Quo state this somewhere, that the veil here is thicker, and we have a lot of different groups of souls who flunked class elsewhere, then it would have been hard to reach this harmonious state industrial revolution or not. I think maybe the effect of the industrial revolution was more of a consequence of the already existent disharmonies.

Anyways, the very little I happen to remember of "cave man" life is a lot of competition for status within the group (and I was nowhere near the top, of course). Not fun. Then again, we tend to remember mostly the non-fun things, because that's what needs forgiving/releasing.
Ra said that a working entity will never awaken to unity because of a lack of leisure.
(02-06-2010, 10:15 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]We do have free will. When we speak of choice in the context of the LOO, it means in regards to choice of polarity in terms of sts or sto.

Perhaps I may be more clear with a different analogy. As a spirit, we decide to go to school to advance. Prior to each semester (life), we choose what courses (life lessons/experiences) we would like to take/learn that semester. Then we enter the classroom and forget about our true purpose, our connectivity to the universe, to the One Creator. It is entirely our choice, while in the classroom, what to do. Though we chose to take a specific course, and though our higher self (OverSoul, future self) will give us the lessons to learn over and over again until we learn them, we can choose to work hard to learn them, to ignore them and learn them in our own time, to ignore them altogether, or to even quit class. Everything we do while in school is our choice. The arrangement of the classroom is even our decision, for the illusory world about is is a mirror reflection of what we project, and what we project is what we see. Everything.
I'm quite familiar with the Ra Material (got Carla's permission to add book material to wiki.lawofone.info around 5 years ago, now βαθμιαίος's re-listening project).

It would be interesting to hear your take on our current incarnate condition with respect to how we do have free will, but as you say, no choice in the role we play (once we sign on for it). For example, if it isn't lack of free will that denies one's choice, what is it in your opinion? I ask because it runs counter to my understanding on what role is possible and what is possible according to the Ra Material.
First and foremost, I want to ensure that my words are taken with a grain of salt, for I too am here learning in this incarnate experience, and though the veil thins, I still have my head in the fog, for the most part. Please keep what I say that resonates with you, and discard the rest.

Just to ensure clarity in terminology, when I speak of "free will", I use this term to describe decisions. I use to the word "choice" describe the specific conscious or unconscious decision of being sto or sts. In clarifying the terms to have specific meanings in regards to the subject matter which we discuss, I believe it is easier to communicate with less confusion.

(02-07-2010, 12:03 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]It would be interesting to hear your take on our current incarnate condition with respect to how we do have free will, but as you say, no choice in the role we play (once we sign on for it).

I don't understand (brother?) why you skip past choosing our place in the incarnate experience, the role, as it were, to saying we have no free will once we do so. It's like saying I picked an apple, and here it is in my hand, but why isn't it an orange? It is what it is, not what it isn't. We do accept, by contract, limitation on ourself (the veil), because without limitation the illusion would be far less intense and counter productive to what we seek to do, gain experience and remove distortion.

(02-07-2010, 12:03 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]For example, if it isn't lack of free will that denies one's choice, what is it in your opinion? I ask because it runs counter to my understanding on what role is possible and what is possible according to the Ra Material.

Again, I see no lack of free will. Could you be more specific in the direction you wish to explore more deeply?
Just a quick note of thanks for all who share their diversity of perspectives here. I'm glad that this has become an interesting and courteous exchange of ideas.
(02-07-2010, 02:31 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]Again, I see no lack of free will. Could you be more specific in the direction you wish to explore more deeply?
Sure. In particular, I think the convention of signing on "before" and playing some fixed role is a gross simplification that seems to exclude an ever-present connection to the source. After all the "role", free will, and our decisions are right now. I AM is I AM, even under the limitations we enjoy. The creation and creator are extant, even in 3D. Framing this condition as a fixed role is your choice of belief, but it is unnecessary IMHO. It may be rare for a person to utilize their own free will, to say nothing of using intelligent infinity, but these are available options if so desired.
(02-08-2010, 01:45 AM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2010, 02:31 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]Again, I see no lack of free will. Could you be more specific in the direction you wish to explore more deeply?
Sure. In particular, I think the convention of signing on "before" and playing some fixed role is a gross simplification that seems to exclude an ever-present connection to the source. After all the "role", free will, and our decisions are right now. I AM is I AM, even under the limitations we enjoy. The creation and creator are extant, even in 3D. Framing this condition as a fixed role is your choice of belief, but it is unnecessary IMHO. It may be rare for a person to utilize their own free will, to say nothing of using intelligent infinity, but these are available options if so desired.

I do apologize if I speak or spoke simply. I do so for the benefit of all, as not everyone has the level of understanding of these channellings as do you brother. There are many new to the Ra Materials still finding their way here, and their eyes gaze upon these pages gleaning for an understanding...

Words.... so clumsy...

I cannot understand how you took my words to mean there is no free will because of the agreement we enter prior to the incarnate experience. I, in no way, meant that. Free will is paramount, and is in use from the second one wakes each day until the time sleep takes its grasp.

When I said a role, I did not mean to imply that it is fixed in the sense of free will or a lack thereof. It is more alike to choosing the jacket or robe one will wear in the play. When one looks at the bigger picture, that we incarnate hundreds if not more than a thousand times, does it not make sense to understand this as an ongoing play in which we play many parts over many lifetimes? This isn't just a one or ten time deal. This is much more complex, for without doing everything, in all these different roles, we wouldn't have the experience of doing everything.

As to what is possible in reality, I believe I am of similar understanding as you, from your wording, that anything is possible, with exception of that which we chose to agree to as limits, for as Ra said:
Quote:65.19 Ra: ... However, it would be an infringement if Wanderers penetrated the forgetting so far as to activate the more dense bodies and thus be able to live, shall we say, in a god-like manner. This would not be proper for those who have chosen to serve.
Again, this was "chosen" by our self... free will.

As to the extant beingness of the One Creator; may I ask how did I bring that into question at all?
(02-05-2010, 10:37 PM)Questioner Wrote: [ -> ]Anthropology and the Law of One

Hey Questioner! Thanks once again for what I hope you don't mind me calling an "awesome" thread. That is to say (with less judgment this time), I enjoy topics like these quite a bit.

Yes, I think it is quite true that children and parents alike have had a bit more difficulty in recent ages. As far as chalking it up entirely to the industrial revolution- I do not know for sure on that. It may well be but I suspect that there may be other factors involved as well. Suffice to say though, a good argument can be made for it. With the advent of technology we have been able to move far away from our immediate family, sometimes many thousands of miles away, and still keep in touch with the phone, internet, etc. Not to mention the relative ease in which we can traverse those distances (as compared to a hundred years ago).

The "nuclear family" is a new experiment. In a book I am reading "The happiest toddler on the block", the author identifies with the frustration of the reading parent by saying something to the effect of: "With all the stress, confusion, sleep deprivation that comes along with parenthood, it's a miracle that anyone makes it through alive! How was it that our grandparents ever managed? Well, they didn't." And then he proceeds to explain how families did not split apart or move out. The grandparents, parents, siblings, and children would all be under one roof. That we no longer do this in western society has made raising children, and being raised by parents, much more difficult. And I'm sure has led to problems with abuse / neglect, which has in turn led to problems in society.

It's a biggie. But I'm sure there are other things contributing to the patchwork of our present day humanity. The dramatic upswing in consumerism since the 50's has placed an overly large emphasis on the importance of material goods for example. (there is a really good, although somewhat depressing documentary on this called... (I'll edit this in when I can remember!). It may also be good to consider the extremely rapid changing landscape itself. Consider how FAST we are moving. The internet wasn't around for the people 20 years ago like it is today. Computers weren't 40 years ago. Cars weren't roughly 100 years ago. Electricity wasn't 150 years ago. (those are rough estimations of course). That's a sliver of time compared to the the rest of human history. This makes for exciting lives, but for some (whose root chakras may be a bit blocked) this can be extremely uncomfortable, and who may polarize in a 'fundamental' sort of way. Oh- and then we should consider our heavy reliance on drugs rather than natural remedies. There is a pill for everything and after a while your body is just this huge chain of dependencies and 'fix it quick' bits of duct tape. That can't be too good for your mental state, in general of course.

Those are just a few things that come to mind, in addition to how we raise our kiddies. I'm sure there are many more... sounds a bit depressing maybe, hope it didn't come out that way too strongly. In general I think it's quite exciting to be around right now. And if anything, the situation as it exists must surely be helpful for those needing a wide array of catalyst, myself included.
(02-08-2010, 02:51 AM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]As to the extant beingness of the One Creator; may I ask how did I bring that into question at all?
Sure, the creation is happening now (in 3D). Ultimately and truly, being the creator, there is no lack of choice.
Just as there are 7 (discrete) densities in the octave of experience, whereby an entity progresses along an evolutionary path, there are 7 sub densities within a density. In 3D, I believe some attributes of these sub-densities may be identified, or rather roughly approximated through the identification of representative core values or "vmemes" from Spiral Dynamics (or any of a number of other developmental lines). Clearly, the "Purple" vMeme is this tribal culture.

Now before there is any interpretation of this schema as being elitist, recognize that the intent is to see where values first appear in a culture. These values are maintained all the way up to the 7th sub-density. The 1st density reaches up to the higher and the higher reach down to the lower, in order to find expression. Each sub-density transcends, yet includes, the prior.

This is part of the template, offered by the logos, that facilitates these modes of expression. It's analogous to what we've identified with our physical "laws".