Bring4th

Full Version: The Frustration of Stagnancy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think one of the worst feelings to experience is that of being stagnant, or the sense that you aren't making any progress. Not learning basically.

Stagnancy is one of the reasons why people hate school so much ('I'm not learning anything useful'), why people hate their job ('I'm wasting my time here'), and why people really, deep down, may fear retirement ('so many hours to fill').

and truly, even if one is making incremental progress, that is enough for most.

- -

but even the sense of being frustrated is good feedback. It's a feedback for the self - hey, what you are currently doing is not quite working, or it's not adapted to the environment, some sort of internal or external change is required to get you into some sort of greater alignment.

so while stagnancy feels like the worst (boredom, apathy, lack of meaning/drive, frustration, vapidness), it's basically an opportunity to recognise that change is required.

and we all have the power to shift our perspective. And once the perspective is shifted, all manner of external changes become seen that weren't previously seen with the other perspective.
I feel like this is directed at me for some reason Tongue
I think you're making sense here. I wondered about me not having any more spiritual experiences since I started my psychotherapy. It's been feeling stagnant. Like what can I do?

But a day here is like 10,000 days in a higher density of lesser catalyst. So even if we feel we're not progressing, chances are we're making some progress, even unconscious. I never realized that change is required. I guess that could be part of me feeling stagnant.

But sometimes being stagnant is just chilling and not expecting to do too much. In these cases I don't worry. I know I am wherever I need to be.

Is it progress to realize you're pretty excited about where you are?

Unbound

The question to me is - when you get energy, either via excitement or inspiration or similar, how do you choose to make use of that energy?
When I get excited, I dwell in that. When I get confused or saddened, I look inwards as to the cause.

How we choose to make use of the energy is a good question. I'm always curious about ways to access intelligent infinity. How can we do that in our ordinary lives?

Melissa

Gar, I'm somewhat surprised to read that stagnancy is one of the worst feelings for you. I mean, it's probably one of my least worst, that's why I find it surprising. I've found that when I think I'm not learning is a time where most valuable lessons are learned.

Unbound

(01-23-2014, 10:18 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]When I get excited, I dwell in that. When I get confused or saddened, I look inwards as to the cause.

How we choose to make use of the energy is a good question. I'm always curious about ways to access intelligent infinity. How can we do that in our ordinary lives?

So is the cause of excitement always obvious?
Usually my excitement is caused by external circumstances. So there it would be obvious. But not always. But the outside circumstance should not be causing that level of excitement, as it's rather ordinary. I just sometimes get more excited than other times.
(01-23-2014, 09:20 PM)Tanner Wrote: [ -> ]The question to me is - when you get energy, either via excitement or inspiration or similar, how do you choose to make use of that energy?

You simply act on that energy as best as you can, as far as you are able to.
@ Spaced, yeah, I really should stop reading your mind, should't I? BigSmile

@ Mel, yeah, its definitely about being able to appreciate what is being offered. I probably have a bit of an 'over-active' side, so stagnancy is something I've rebelled against in the past.

as Ra said, being able to accept 'downtime' or 'retrograde' moments without undue notice is also a sign of using that type of catalyst:

Quote:61.4 We may say that while these information systems are interesting they are in sway only insofar as the entity or entities involved have not made totally efficient use of catalyst and, therefore, instead of accepting the, shall we say, negative or retrograde moments or periods without undue notice, have the distortion towards the retaining of these distortions in order to work out the unused catalyst.
I find that stagnating literally effects my mood. I like change and I like to keep things moving. Too much of the same is not in my nature.

Unbound

(01-24-2014, 07:47 AM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]I find that stagnating literally effects my mood. I like change and I like to keep things moving. Too much of the same is not in my nature.

Is that because you cannot find peace in stillness?
I've been stagnant for over 4 years and such a state as bore much fruit in terms of my concious understanding of myself. Whilst I may despise the circumstance, it has been a fundamental necessity in digging into the depths of my mind.
(01-24-2014, 12:56 PM)Steppenwolf Wrote: [ -> ]I've been stagnant for over 4 years and such a state as bore much fruit in terms of my concious understanding of myself. Whilst I may despise the circumstance, it has been a fundamental necessity in digging into the depths of my mind.

I think you are confused about what it means to be stagnant in a greater sense. It's not about whether or not things are moving in your life in an external ONLY sense. If you are doing much work on self, through reading and reflection and expanding your mind...you are doing many changes to your perspective...those changes are very important, especially if you FEEL a need to do it. Perhaps later external changes will become more fluid once a certain level of perspective has been reached..??? Smile
'Stagnancy' can be utlised as an opportunity to integrate catalyst, acceptance and perform inner work, without external distraction. It can also point towards distorted beliefs (E.g. "I should be able to perform this by now!") which usually lend themselves towards discovering root belief patterns of inadequacy and non acceptance of the self as it is, which provides the foundation for transformation. Ironically, it can serve to accelerate if seen for what it is. From a logical standpoint, I always find it useful to note the status of ones perception a year ago, as opposed to now. I'm always amazed by how far I've come, even though it may not readily appear so on the surface (To put it in perspective I was a staunch religious fundie less than 3 years ago).

Often the feeling can also point towards a lack of grounding and repressing certain aspects which one does not wish to deal with. In such situations people enjoy and revel in the 'idea' of being stagnant because they then do not need to deal with the physical aspect of reality in a complete manner by using the circumstance 'giving rise' to the state of stagnancy as an excuse. I returned back to University to complete my degree after deciding to 'quit' last year. The time allowed me to understand that I was using the idea of rejecting the concept of working, not enjoying education, and being 'in society' not being in tandem with metaphysical values as an excuse to not face reality, and the fear I had harboured surrounding that. The past year it may have appeared as though I was stagnant, however there was alot of ground I broke exploring my inner landscape of the Self. It's quality intimate time I'd probably won't have again through graduating, work and so forth, the opportunity of which is something I am grateful for. I discovered a few hobbies as well.

Now I am back, and am actually enjoying the experience of study in a field which interests me (I always did I guess, but I put off the work/effort required (Lending from belief: "Why should I learn about this, I am a l33t infinite being who can create reality by thoughts! Working for a living, Meh"), exacerbating the fear surrounding potential 'failure' - lending from perfectionist beliefs, which was religious programming (Finding the root cause of beliefs is important)). Further more, through some weird glitch in the system I owe a £1000 less in tuition fees. Some of the assignment deadlines were also pushed back, or somehow reduced in size significantly. There have been many little 'signs' like this where issues surrounding money and such has unexpectedly cropped up in my favour, and it just seems as though everything is being put into place to my benefit.

That's some of my experience. If one is truly stagnant however, then sure it is indicative of moving away from certain situations or belief patterns which do not benefit. Honest discernment is key however, as all too often they're simply crutches and excuses from not looking at what is with you now, which can be addressed when ones mode of perception is shifted (Coming down to beliefs again).