Bring4th

Full Version: The Full-Fat Paradox: Whole Milk May Keep Us Lean
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Consider the findings of two recent studies that conclude the consumption of whole-fat dairy is linked to reduced body fat.

In one paper, published by Swedish researchers in the Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, middle-aged men who consumed high-fat milk, butter and cream were significantly less likely to become obese over a period of 12 years compared with men who never or rarely ate high-fat dairy.

Yep, that's right. The butter and whole-milk eaters did better at keeping the pounds off.

"I would say it's counterintuitive," says Greg Miller, executive vice president of the National Dairy Council.

The second study, published in the European Journal of Nutrition, is a meta-analysis of 16 observational studies. There has been a hypothesis that high-fat dairy foods contribute to obesity and heart disease risk, but the reviewers concluded that the evidence does not support this hypothesis. In fact, the reviewers found that in most of the studies, high-fat dairy was associated with a lower risk of obesity.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/02...ep-us-lean
Dairy may not correlate directly with obesity but I am convinced it leads to heart disease. This will be discovered likely in the late 21st century.
Well see. I'am looking forward to getting old, smoking drinking and a diet of basically only dairy and meat, can't wait for the cancer/heart disease and everything in-between apparently ><.

Although I'd drink arsenic if it felt right bahaha.
(02-16-2014, 11:07 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]Dairy may not correlate directly with obesity but I am convinced it leads to heart disease.
I'm thinking there are always several factors involved in how the body is able to make use of and/or be influenced what it ingests at any point in time. One involves the type of environment used for processing and metabolizing the food such as dairy. There is always going to be some vulnerability of the body which cause it to move out of a state of homeostasis, to a condition which leads to disease, for whatever reason. It may be that a particular food moves the body out of that balanced condition. Or, it could be that in that once already in an unbalanced state, certain foods are more of a contributing factor to some disease. Some possible factors: genetic, chemical/endocrine, emotional, allergies, vitamin deficiencies, etc.
Holistic doctor here. I'll clear some things up. First is the myth of the lipid hypothesis. This myth states that saturated fat causes heart disease. This myth was established by bad studies on rabbits being fed animal products. They developed heart disease because they are herbivores not because saturated fat causes heart disease. Heart disease is caused by sugar, trans fats, heavy metals, stress, and chronic infections.

Since the lipid hypothesis arose, low fat products have hit the shelves loaded with refined sugars and thus created an epidemic of obesity and heart disease of a magnitude never seen before in human history. Tribal cultures like the Masai of Africa, Inuits of Alaska, and isolated villages in Switzerland all have animal product based diets and no heart disease at all.

Saturated fat actually reduces heart disease as proven by a meta-analysis in 2011.

Now the second question, can dairy cause problems? Yes it can. The devil in the milk is called a1-casein protein which is digested into a morphine like peptide called beta-casomorphin 7 (bcm7) which mimics human proteins including glucose transporters and myelin proteins. This is why dairy can cause diabetes type 1 and multiple sclerosis. As the immune system attacks the milk protein it also attacks these human proteins. Butter however contains no casein, so butter is always okay.

Now not all cows have a1-casein. Every other mammal has a2-casein and Asian cows are a2. European / American cows are a2 or a1 or a mix of a1 and a2 (one gene from each parents). Now this is where the raw vs pasteurized debate comes in. You see proteins are digested by enzymes. The a1 casein is digested by the dpp4 enzyme which is found in cow milk. This enzyme neutralizes the a1 protein (bcm7). However the pasteurization process destroys the digestive enzymes inherent in milk.

So the short answer is that whole fat is better than low fat, always. And that if you want cow
Dairy make sure it is a2 dairy or raw if you are unsure. Unless it's butter because that's fine. Hope that clears things up.
The devil are simple carbohydrates (including the worst one, sugar). Like a drug, they cause a rapid spike and fall in blood sugar, leading to their addictive nature. This rapid spike is also unhealthy, and leads to diabetes and other related conditions.

Fat (except omega-3's) are not healthy in themselves, but they lack the extremely unhealthy effects of simple carbs. Furthermore, they are very satiating - reducing hunger for an extended period - making you much less likely to consume more calories.

The study did not directly compare fat foods like milk against their higher fat equivalents. Calories, of course, should be limited anyway, and fat does have a lot of calories.

Low-Carb diets are on to something, but the popularization of the Atkins diet of eating red meat, or worse, bacon (all processed meats are extremely unhealthy), is wrong. Eat Fruits, Vegetables, Beans and Seeds, that most. But sugar is clearly more of a devil than fat.
Doing a Fat Fast is really effective, but should be done with caution.

If you eat only fat without protein or carb, then you are not going to stimulate the release of insulin. And without insulin you're not going to be storing fat efficiently in your fat cells.

It's a way a fasting without being hungry.
(03-02-2014, 03:09 PM)jivatman Wrote: [ -> ]Low-Carb diets are on to something, but the popularization of the Atkins diet of eating red meat, or worse, bacon (all processed meats are extremely unhealthy), is wrong. Eat Fruits, Vegetables, Beans and Seeds, that most. But sugar is clearly more of a devil than fat.

Yes, processed meats are bad, but proper bacon and grass fed, natural red meat is one of the most nutritious things you can eat. Of course in balance with vegs and some fruit. Sugar and wheat/grain products are indeed far worse for the body than fats.
Anything "processed" is presumed to be bad. Eat what you want, ever since I stopped putting anything extra ( uninformed judgements or concepts ) into how I choose my food other then feelings/sensations/timing I haven't felt any previous food related bodily drama's.

Same thing as everything else really the more you experience with food the less it really matters.
(03-02-2014, 09:37 PM)Sagittarius Wrote: [ -> ]Anything "processed" is presumed to be bad. Eat what you want, ever since I stopped putting anything extra ( uninformed judgements or concepts ) into how I choose my food other then feelings/sensations/timing I haven't felt any previous food related bodily drama's.

Same thing as everything else really the more you experience with food the less it really matters.

[Image: matrix1_io9_flv.jpg]