Bring4th

Full Version: You guys ready for ragnarok.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will the world END next week? Viking apocalypse 'Ragnarok' due to arrive on February 22

Quote:'Norsemen' from across the UK and further afield are converging on the historic Yorkshire town as Ragnarok, the final bloody battle predicted in Norse mythology approaches on February 22.

Believers say that when the fateful day arrives Earth will split open, unleashing the inhabitants of Hel.

The wolf, Fenrir, son of Loki, will break out of his prison and the Midgard snake Jormungand will rise from the sea.

Nidhogg, the dragon of the underworld, will gnaw at the world tree, Yggdrasil, until it groans and wilts.

Then as the ice giants of Jotunheim come thundering over the horizon, the dead heroes of Valhalla will descend from heaven to fight them.

These events were prophesied by the god Odin who had hung himself from Yggdrasill for nine days so he could die and be re-born with wisdom and foresight.

Should be an interesting period hehe.
Since I live in Yorkshire, I guess i'll be the first here to let you know...

Melissa

Nidhogg and I would probably get along just fine, I've always had a weak spot for dragons.

Fang

Due to model of time displayed by Norse mythology it's interesting some people actually put a date on an event.
edit: lol read the description wrong forget what I said about Odin
lol you know all that is in the mind?

metaphor, metaphor, metaphor.. *Tongue Tongue Tongue

and the events were prophesied by a völva who 'saw' the god Odin hanging from the world tree Yggdrasil.
Quote:The cosmos in Norse mythology consist of Nine Worlds that flank a central cosmological tree, Yggdrasil. Units of time and elements of the cosmology are personified as deities or beings. Various forms of a creation myth are recounted, where the world is created from the flesh of the primordial being Ymir, and the first two humans are Ask and Embla. These worlds are foretold to be reborn after the events of Ragnarök, when an immense battle occurs between the gods and their enemies, and the world is enveloped in flames, only to be reborn anew. There the surviving gods will meet, and the land will be fertile and green, and two humans will repopulate the world.
*wiki Norse Mythology
Quote:An ash I know there stands,
Yggdrasill is its name,
a tall tree, showered
with shining loam.
From there come the dews
that drop in the valleys.
It stands forever green over
Urðr's well.
*from Völuspá

There is so much speculation surrounding old Germanic legends.
On a personal note, I'd like to thank Snorri Sturluson for his flamboyant interpretation, extension, and abomination of the ideas expressed in the antiquity that is the Poetic Eddas. This man had all this information at his fingertips and chose to 'wield' it in a particular manner. Not saying he was wrong or right. Just saying.. Something may be learned there from.
This might be better than Game of Thrones!
Sounds like a fun party! BigSmile
Have a Ragnaroking good time tonite everyone!
Isn't already almost midnight over there? lol
These ice giants and dead heroes of Valhalla are very underwhelming. They look much less like giants and heroes and more like children, parents, and grandparents. And they aren't so much battling as they seem to be taking a stroll in this nice weather.

I'd rate this apocolypse 7/10, not bad.