Bring4th

Full Version: Cynicism is inexcusable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a statement in the channeling handboook that reads: "Social naiveté is almost as inexcusable as cynicism." The definition of cynicism is "a lack of trust in people." I don't understand how cynicism is inexcusable. At the heart of things I trust people. However, I encounter many people who are not awake and they are not functioning at a very high level. When push comes to shove - a hard shove - I trust that the best will come out in others and they will act in service-to-others, but in our day-to-day existance I'm not so trusting ... maybe not a cynic, but not so trusting either. Can anyone shed more light on this quote, and in navigating a society where many are not yet awake and have not made "the choice"?
The person who expressed that opinion would logically be the best suited to provide the meaning. I'm guessing the author is at least partially reacting against some perceived negative consequence from personal experience.
(02-19-2014, 01:37 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]The person who expressed that opinion would logically be the best suited to provide the meaning. I'm guessing the author is at least partially reacting against some perceived negative consequence from personal experience.

This book is in this site's library, so I don't know who wrote it exactly. I probably swing from being mildly cynical about other's motives/actions and just being skeptical.
The Channeling Handbook was written by Carla. If you want to hear her current thoughts on the question of cynicism and/or social naivete, you could submit a question for the weekly audio show. http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=8214

Unbound

I agree the author's interpretation will probably be the most fruitful. Although if I was to attempt to interpret this quote, I think there needs to be some context to it, as that line in itself was taken out of the context of the book which may flesh out the idea more.
Well, I would have thought the quote was patently obvious, no? Social Naivete tends to relate to a near complete blind faith in everyone but the self, to the detriment of the self, whereas Cynicism is a complete lack of faith in everyone but the Self, which is also a detriment to the self in the long run. The 'faith' in this instance relating to presupposition, or an assumed stance, without any objective evidence to necessarily justify that stance. In essence, It sounds like a balance is called for between whole trust and distrust.

Edit: Spelling.
(02-19-2014, 06:07 PM)Horuseus Wrote: [ -> ]Cynicism is a complete lack of faith in everyone but the Self
I usually think of the more general view of simply finding fault in something. Of course if that results in a limitation of acceptance, then you have a possible separation of self as it exists in the object of disdain. In any event, cynicism tends to be tied to an unconscious reaction which can become part of a habitual viewpoint.
(02-19-2014, 10:59 PM)zenmaster Wrote: [ -> ]I usually think of the more general view of simply finding fault in something.

Yup, it's pretty much an assumed stance or rather, a bias, as stated above. I'd say the Cynic is biased toward fault finding (Though not to confuse this with Skepticism) whereas the Naive tends to fall on the opposing side of the spectrum. In either case, they're imbalances. The underlying unconscious reaction probably stems from fear of rejection.

Fang

Quote:Yup, it's pretty much an assumed stance or rather, a bias, as stated above. I'd say the Cynic is biased toward fault finding (Though not to confuse this with Skepticism) whereas the Naive tends to fall on the opposing side of the spectrum. In either case, they're imbalances. The underlying unconscious reaction probably stems from fear of rejection.

The underlying unconscious imbalance triggering the reaction i'd say would be more specific to the individual than a general cause, but for fear of rejection fitting the bill i'd be more inclined just to say fearful thought patterns in general reinforced enough could mould such an outlook, if it had become a habitual view.
I can see how cynicism could be a form of "souring" developed from a biased perception of situations. The conspiracy theory framing inclination could be an example, often with a basis in perception of "loss" (of justice or of some perceived beneficial agency)

"Very often the catalyst for emotional pain, whether it be the death of the physical complex of one other-self which is loved or some other seeming loss, will simply result in the opposite, in a bitterness, an impatience, a souring. This is catalyst which has gone awry. In these cases, then, there will be additional catalyst provided to offer the unmanifested self further opportunities for discovering the self as all-sufficient Creator containing all that there is and full of joy."

Fang

Nailed it, though that doesn't mean it's "inexcusable" but it's definitely not an optimal position to be interpreting catalyst and dealing with the world, same goes for social naivete, the perception is still too cloudy to navigate efficiently so to speak.
I've moved this thread from Sessions in Focus to Life on Planet Earth. Sessions in Focus is dedicated to discussing specific Q'uo transcripts.

This is an interesting topic and a good question KMcNay. As βαθμιαίος suggested, I would be happy to bring it up on the weekly radio show with Carla. Just let me know.

I think the conversation about naivete and cynicism is pretty informative in this thread. I'm not sure that your definition of cynicism is completely in-line with how Carla or most people would use it. It would involve a mistrust of people, but the mistrust would be because of a pessimistic attitude due to jaded negativity.

Also, to understand the use of "inexcusable," I think it is important to look at the context in which this quote was used. She did not write this book as a general guide for life, but very specifically for people who were interested in channeling. While nothing is "inexcusable" in the "eyes of the Creator," if you are looking to achieve a certain goal (such as a purity and balance of attitude required for channeling), some things are proper and some are not. She is not calling cynicism (nor naivete) generally inexcusable, but rather it is inexcusable if one wishes to have a proper attitude for channeling.